Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I thought I would share my design of the electric rotation as I have not seen one done just like this.
Would I bought the tractor I opted out of the rear hydraulic remotes, thinking that for the upgrade cost it would just not be worth it for me, so now that I wanted to rotate the chute, it would cost me around 1000 at least to get the remote and the hydralic motor/ lines for the snowblower.
For $30 I now have a very nice working 12v set up.
Snowblower is a new frontier 1154, I pretty much attempted to copy the way the hydraulic motor is done.
So off to princess auto.
The motor I decided on, for a power seat
image.jpg
For the sprocket, I traced the pattern from the chute sprocket onto some cardboard, then just tried to line up the teeth the best I could.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I used a muffler clamp around the motor and bolted up through existing holes on blower
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Made a little bracket for the switch to mount to rops tower and installed little dpdt momentary toggle.
image.jpg

For power I am just plugging into the 12v outlet.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I am very pleased with the operation, maybe a little bit too fast bust the switch provides good control.
Haven't timed it, but I'd say it's not much more than 1.5sec lock to lock.

Let me know what you think!

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Job well done! :thumbup1gif: It's simple and clean. Just can't beat having the little things. :yahoo:

·
Administrator
18,483 Posts
Great mod! Next you can add a linear actuator to the deflector for full electric control.

Reactions: Duke Snyder

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
Nice job! Simple and inexpensive solution to your challenge!!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
You could slow it down by reducing voltage applied. Would take a fairly stout resistor but could be done.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hm a resister I may be interested in... Would I need to put it on just the hot line feeding switch or on both lines to motor....
And what size do you think?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Would need to know the amp draw on the circuit.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Hm a resister I may be interested in... Would I need to put it on just the hot line feeding switch or on both lines to motor....
And what size do you think?
In my opinion, a resistor in series would not be an effective/practical way to slow a DC motor down because the torque falls off too much(and the resistor gets too hot). A motor speed control would be much better.
I gives full voltage pulses to the motor.
HERE is one on ebay for less than 5 bucks. There are many styles out there.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Nice job! Any way you could post a video? I'd love to see it in action. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will let everyone else judge if I need to slow it down, I do like the speed of it, although it can definatly over shoot very easily

I will see about posting a video
Do I need to add to YouTube first and then link to here?
Also how do I add someone's comment to this box to reference in my reply..?

·
Administrator
20,973 Posts
I will let everyone else judge if I need to slow it down, I do like the speed of it, although it can definatly over shoot very easily

I will see about posting a video
Do I need to add to YouTube first and then link to here?
Also how do I add someone's comment to this box to reference in my reply..?
Yes, you do have to have the video on YouTube first. Then you link to it here. There's a couple of threads about this in the forum help and suggestion section. :good2:

If you look on the bottom of each post, you'll see several buttons. One of them is "reply with quote." If you move your mouse over the other icons, it'll tell you what they are.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, you do have to have the video on YouTube first. Then you link to it here. There's a couple of threads about this in the forum help and suggestion section. :good2:

If you look on the bottom of each post, you'll see several buttons. One of them is "reply with quote." If you move your mouse over the other icons, it'll tell you what they are.
Thank you very much, that's just As easy as I expected it should be!

I will get a video and post it up

Reactions: sterling40man

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
In my opinion, a resistor in series would not be an effective/practical way to slow a DC motor down because the torque falls off too much(and the resistor gets too hot). A motor speed control would be much better.
I gives full voltage pulses to the motor.
HERE is one on ebay for less than 5 bucks. There are many styles out there.
Wow.... Has been a long time since I did anything with motor controllers. Chinese have dropped the price so much... Would not have been that 15 years ago!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Wow.... Has been a long time since I did anything with motor controllers. Chinese have dropped the price so much... Would not have been that 15 years ago!
I was pretty surprised too... Gotta love those Chinese. Next there will probably be an Iphone app for motor control....There probably already is, I'm afraid to look.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As promised

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I was pretty surprised too... Gotta love those Chinese. Next there will probably be an Iphone app for motor control....There probably already is, I'm afraid to look.
There is. I've been working on a garage door opener control from my phone via WiFi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
446 Posts
That does seem very fast. As long as you can stop it where you want it you are good. If it were me I would probably want to slow it a tad, but its hard to say with out trying it for myself.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I personally would think about half that speed would be ideal for rotation. Electric adjustment would probably be easiest, but if you were designing it again I think a smaller gear on motor would have helped too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts