Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice about if I should go from a plastic to steel impeller on a 54 inch snowblower. Some of you have changed to a steel impeller. What differences have you noticed after the change? Does it run quieter? Does it have more power, especially in deeper or heavier snow? Has anybody using a plastic impeller have it break? If so, did it break from wearing out or did it break from something hitting it?
Thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,207 Posts
Quieter. Smoother. Throws snow further. No more clogging since the changeover. Additional piece of mind. There have been a few failures with the plastic impeller that I'm aware of.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
I need some advice about if I should go from a plastic to steel impeller on a 54 inch snowblower. Some of you have changed to a steel impeller. What differences have you noticed after the change? Does it run quieter? Does it have more power, especially in deeper or heavier snow? Has anybody using a plastic impeller have it break? If so, did it break from wearing out or did it break from something hitting it?
Thanks!!!
Super beat me to it! I was just posting when I saw Franks post come up but here is my end of it..

I can't speak for the 54" as I have a 47" but my plastic impeller was wobbly and making a ton of noise so I changed it out to a steel unit. It throws the snow much further like 10-15 feet more then the plastic one and it is much quieter, but I had a problem with mine. I also do not trust plastic if you get into something like a buried wood stove ash container! To me it was piece of mind but it does really throw, and slush isn't to much of an issue either with the steel. The power thing, I doubt that a plastic vs. steel would make a difference, that's all how heavy the snow is and engine power.. I will tell you that the last storm we had here in central Ma was on the heavy side, 8-10" deep and my blower threw that stuff with no issue at all. I also had a bearing issue right behind the impeller from day one and that also contributed to the noise issue. I have posted that in another thread with pictures.. If you do want to change it out and never took the unit apart before, check out Superglidesports post with pictures. It is a big help for sure.. You take it apart once and you can do it with your eyes closed the second time!
good luck with your soul search. I haven't read of anyone breaking one but I know the two hex steel pieces that the plastic fans have embedded in them to keep it on the driveshaft, can have a lot of play on the shaft. I read one post that stated the Plastic was spinning on the metal hex! I don't know how that can happen once you see how it is made??? Mine is in a box, just in case, as a back up.. Jeff

Reactions: bob

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
Quieter. Smoother. Throws snow further. No more clogging since the changeover. Additional piece of mind. There have been a few failures with the plastic impeller that I'm aware of.
Totally agreed frank, I knew you would post on this one! I reference your post all the time, the pictures and verbiage make the job easy for anyone with mechanical abilities.. Jeff

Reactions: Superglidesport

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
Thanks!!!
One more thing Bob, watch out for wild turkeys all 101 of them!

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
Same experience here after steel changeover.

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
967 Posts
Run the plastic till it dies. Plastic is great till you get into the heavy wet stuff or chunks of ice.... Metal handles heavy stuff much better. I get great White Rooster tails with the light stuff. 40-45' out there. No more bogging down as fast as the plastic one did.

Reactions: tj1 and bob

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
Jeff.....did you mean wild turkeys or Wild Turkey???!!
That all depends on how many you have! Sorry I didn't capitalize..

:flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
JeffTaylor where did you purchase your replacement bearings? I am thinking of doing a complete overhaul on my 1 year old 47 in blower. Got the impeller already, which is most likely the biggest expense. Will change out the bearings as well as the drive sprokets and chain too. Might just as well do it the way deere should have in the first place.... THE RIGHT WAY.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: tj1 and HydroHarold

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
JeffTaylor where did you purchase your replacement bearings? I am thinking of doing a complete overhaul on my 1 year old 47 in blower. Got the impeller already, which is most likely the biggest expense. Will change out the bearings as well as the drive sprokets and chain too. Might just as well do it the way deere should have in the first place.... THE RIGHT WAY.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I ordered them from Green Farm Parts an advertiser on this site. They have all the parts you will need once you figure out the nomenclature and how to get to it!. I also bought the pressed flanges, eccentric locking collars, chain, and large drive sprocket.. Don't get the large sprocket, it is as bad as the one that comes with the unit; too loose on the drive shaft and runs out of concentric. I bought enough parts so I can change all bearing's/flanges more than once. For the cost it is well worth it,, I also bought two hinge's/rivets for the spout too... From what I have seen this winter and my new blower I am not impressed with it's manufacture.. Here is a picture of what I am talking about..

View attachment 41659 View attachment 41660

Left picture is of wear which appears to be the fan rubbing on the flange almost to the point the flange was worn to the bearing, brand new never used in snow. It made one hell of a racket too. second picture is of abuse to the bearing from the factory.. collar side.. Bearings made in China too... Good grief. One more thing, the eccentric collar was not locked on the bearing and you can see in the first picture the driveshaft was spinning inside the inner race by the worn marks on the race.. Great! Dealer wanted nothing to do with my problem, told me they all make that racket!
Jeff

Reactions: budman

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
Part of the problem:
I know your right! I wouldn't doubt the entire blower is manufactured there.. Especially those sprockets.. They are terrible.. and no master link on the chain either..

Reactions: budman

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't get the large sprocket, it is as bad as the one that comes with the unit; too loose on the drive shaft and runs out of concentric.

There are two different set of chains and sprockets available.One is a 40 and the other is a 50 I believe and they have different diameter sprockets likely ending up with the same speed.I switched over to the heavier chain setup and it runs nice and true.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
There are two different set of chains and sprockets available.One is a 40 and the other is a 50 I believe and they have different diameter sprockets likely ending up with the same speed.I switched over to the heavier chain setup and it runs nice and true.
I had no idea that could occur with the smaller sprocket being welded on the shaft.. Where did you buy the parts? I have a new sprocket being made but the idea of a 50 vs.40 intrigues me.. I want this blower to last the rest of my life, hopefully...!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had no idea that could occur with the smaller sprocket being welded on the shaft.. Where did you buy the parts? I have a new sprocket being made but the idea of a 50 vs.40 intrigues me.. I want this blower to last the rest of my life, hopefully...!!

I'll have to check when I am in my shop later on.I bought them by mistake and was going to do some checking but found out that would work if all used together.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I'll have to check when I am in my shop later on.I bought them by mistake and was going to do some checking but found out that would work if all used together.
I would be interested in all the part numbers as well.

Jeff, Are the bearings that Greepartsstore are selling still made in China? I would rather get some high quality made in Japan or USA bearings. They are the lifeline of the machine. I will bet the drive shaft is made there to, along with the universals.Maybe tractorslinger could provide some information too?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I could not find my old order to confirm my purchase but I am sure that the New I have listed is what I used.Maybe someone who purchased can confirm the different part numbers.You can search in JD parts and find the different numbers.

New

Chain Sprocket AM38206

Shaft AM135208

Roller Chain AM121965

Old

Chain Sprocket AM108298

Shaft AM108307

Roller Chain AM109090

1 - 20 of 37 Posts