Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good evening everyone, I scoured the forum and the webs but cannot find anything on the issue I am having.
I cannot get the driveshaft hooked up to the mm PTO due to it touching a hydraulic fitting for the front steering.
I install the front PTO bracket fine but when I raise the driveshaft to the mm PTO cannot get up high enough and at the correct angle to hook on.
I even first hooked up the driveshaft to the PTO and then tried to install the front bracket but no go.
Anyone have this issue?

Can the fitting be loosened and twist the elbow upwards?
Any experience with this and advice is appreciated.

I am attaching photos to show the fitting and the driveshaft angle at the PTO.
(The driveshaft is not hitting the elbow in the pictures but it does when you try to hook up the shaft to the mm PTO)
Sorry for the upside down photos....if you click on one it appears right sized in the new window.

Thanks again for any help :thumbup1gif:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,256 Posts
You should be able to loosen up the fitting and install the pto, then reposition the fitting and tighten it.
^^^^^ what he said.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...appreciate it.
I got the loader back on in case we get a pile of snow from the forecasted storm tomorrow.
I am going to call my guy at the dealership as well to see what he has to say.
I am sure he will say it is ok to adjust the fitting as was suggested here.
If I am really lucky they may send out someone to do it on their dime as the tractor isn’t a year old and I bought the blower and blade from there in the past month (not holding my breath on the free service call though....lol).

If anyone else has any comments on this or have had the same thing on theirs please chime in.

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
Keep us posted Rush. I have never had anything in the way of the driveshaft, so my fitting must be in a different position from yours. I’d go with the advice already given.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
something doesn't sound right, my mm pto driveshaft is nowhere near the power steering cylinder or fittings when it's installed. your pictures are hard to tell what we're looking at....

·
Registered
747 Posts
I had to run out to the garage and take a look... My PTO shaft is at least an inch away from the steering cylinder.

I saved your pics to my computer then flipped them over. Your PTO shaft looks a LOT closer.... Everything installed/hooked up right?

Yours...........
A789F0F3-66BD-4132-8285-EF426D1E7031.jpeg

FBBC6AFB-1D5E-4A9B-87B8-C4BEF961A2CF.jpeg

Mine.................

DSCF8592.jpg

DSCF8593.jpg

·
Registered
968 Posts
Does the OP have a cardian joint on the front of the driveshaft?

A single joint in leu of a cardian joint would “raise” the driveshaft since it is shorter.

I can’t tell from the OP photo. The photo in response is clearly a cardian joint.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I know what happened, the fitting on the right they turned way down so that the hose doesn't rub the left front tire (a common design flaw on the 1-series) but as a result it's too close to the shaft.

I turned mine down a little so that it just missed the tire at full lock to the left, and wrapped it in hose protector where it touches the frame rail.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know what happened, the fitting on the right they turned way down so that the hose doesn't rub the left front tire (a common design flaw on the 1-series) but as a result it's too close to the shaft.

I turned mine down a little so that it just missed the tire at full lock to the left, and wrapped it in hose protector where it touches the frame rail.
I went by the JD dealer today with the photos I took as well as the few that EricR posted.
It seems that the valve needs to be turned upwards enough to clear the driveshaft.
A few of you suggested that already.

AJgrn78 - you mention above that you turned yours a little. Did it take much muscle to break the fitting free to the point you could move the elbow?
I am going to tackle this sometime over the weekend.

Thanks again to everyone for helping me out here:thumbup1gif:
Thanks EricR for going out of your way to post those pictures....very much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
12,256 Posts
AJgrn78 - you mention above that you turned yours a little. Did it take much muscle to break the fitting free to the point you could move the elbow?
PMFJI... it should not take much effort at all as those are O-ring seal fittings and do not require mega tightening as would a pipe thread fitting.

You should be able to loosen slightly, rotate to the desired position and retighten.

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
If I remember it take either two 7/8" or 3/4" wrenches and guessing 10 minutes of your time. Just be sure to hold the nut and the PS shaft where it attaches or you could break the PS cylinder.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PMFJI... it should not take much effort at all as those are O-ring seal fittings and do not require mega tightening as would a pipe thread fitting.

You should be able to loosen slightly, rotate to the desired position and retighten.
If I remember it take either two 7/8" or 3/4" wrenches and guessing 10 minutes of your time. Just be sure to hold the nut and the PS shaft where it attaches or you could break the PS cylinder.
Thanks for the tips guys.
I'll give an update on this once I make the adjustment.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

I went by the JD dealer today with the photos I took as well as the few that EricR posted.
It seems that the valve needs to be turned upwards enough to clear the driveshaft.
A few of you suggested that already.

I am going to tackle this sometime over the weekend.

Thanks again to everyone for helping me out here

Thanks EricR for going out of your way to post those pictures....very much appreciated.
It's very easy, not much muscle at all, just an open end wrench to crack it loose, you might have a couple drops of fluid weep out but nothing to worry about. More than anything I'd be careful to not overtighten the fitting after you adjust it.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Does the OP have a cardian joint on the front of the driveshaft?

A single joint in leu of a cardian joint would “raise” the driveshaft since it is shorter.

I can’t tell from the OP photo. The photo in response is clearly a cardian joint.

Photo in post #7, “mine” vs the OP photo there is no space between the drive shaft and steering cylinder as there is ample in post #7 “mine”. I’m talking about the drive shaft to steering cylinder not the fitting.

Is a cardian joint in front of OP drive shaft?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Photo in post #7, “mine” vs the OP photo there is no space between the drive shaft and steering cylinder as there is ample in post #7 “mine”. I’m talking about the drive shaft to steering cylinder not the fitting.

And if anyone is not sure of what genesusie is asking, here are a couple of pictures of a "double cardan universal joint" set up.....

doublecardan.JPG

DCJOINTOSC_zpsacfe15b6_c2610a5ef17bceba76ecc409865c14b2f8b5ff91.jpg

Not J-D specific, just pics found with a google image search...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

I see what you mean, the OP’s pto shaft looks much closer to the entire steering assembly.

Rush2112, you should share some pics of the front end of the pto shaft and the bearing carrier bracket on the front, you may have something flipped or otherwise not right....

·
Premium Member
8,843 Posts
The driveshaft is extremely close to the steering cylinder in the OP's photos'.........In my opinion, too close.

Have you connected the quick attach unit to the bracket under the tractor which holds the support / carrier bearing for the long PTO shaft? I am wondering if the lower bracket under the tractor is installed correctly. If you were able to mount the quick attach to the brackets and everything functions other than the shaft install, then the brackets would be confirmed to be correctly installed.

If you have not mounted the Quick attach to the front of the tractor, I am wondering if you have the lower bracket which carries the bearing installed improperly causing the carrier bearing to carry the shaft higher than it should..........

It seems odd that the shaft would be THAT CLOSE to the steering cylinder on the OP's (Rush2112) tractor and not on the other one (ErikR's) tractor. There shouldn't be any difference between the two that would cause the huge difference in clearance shown in Rush2112's photos compared to ErikR's photos..........................

·
Registered
968 Posts
It now appears that others after reviewing my initial observation of the close proximity of the driveshaft to the steering cylinder and seeing the same thing............... that’s not how it should be.

Now the OP needs to send phots of the front of the driveshaft, the carrier, and how it is sitting on the tractor. Possibly even the hanger brackets bolted to the tractor. After all that I’m fairly sure a correction to the issue will be more obvious and eminent.

I can understand “manufacturing tolerances” building up to alter assembly but not an inch.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the thoughts so far guys.

To cover some of the current questions:

I do still feel that the movement of the power steering fitting should correct my clearance issue.
Those pictures do make it look close to the PS cylinder but if that fitting were up a pinch higher I would have been able to fully connect the driveshaft to the PTO.

In those photos the driveshaft bracket was indeed connected to the front bracket correctly with the large pin in place as well.

The thought of having the wrong driveshaft bracket did enter my mind and I’ll soon find that out once I move the fitting and check for figment. It didn’t come in a box with a part number on it for me to reference. The JD dealer had it all assembled for me when I went to pick up the blower.

I am also attaching a picture of the joint as requested.
I have the FEL back on the tractor and will take it off asap to adjust the fitting. Been busier than expected since yesterday so I haven’t been out to the garage to do this.

Thanks again everyone for helping with this so far.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts