Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time using the front mount snowblower on my 2210. Wondering if the wobble is normal or not? The shaft is an adjustable one with about a 10" extended towards the front of the tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,350 Posts
Normal or not I'm not sure, but my neighbors 2210/47 SB looks the same. It got better when he upgraded to the newer style CV joint but it still wobbles some.

Reactions: pcabe5 and BigJim55

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normal or not I'm not sure, but my neighbors 2210/47 SB looks the same. It got better when he upgraded to the newer style CV joint but it still wobbles some.
Thank you, hopefully it is normal!

Any suggestions on your bolt on hooks and making a decision about style and placement? My friend can weld them on for me if I went that route, but I am having trouble deciding on what makes sense to purchase. I know it is a preference and should fit the use of the machine, but still. Suggestions?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe just me eyes - at the end of the video showing where the shaft goes into the blower looks really loose.

Thanks, I will double check the quick connects and bolts again just to be sure.

·
Administrator
18,350 Posts
Any suggestions on your bolt on hooks and making a decision about style and placement? My friend can weld them on for me if I went that route, but I am having trouble deciding on what makes sense to purchase. I know it is a preference and should fit the use of the machine, but still. Suggestions?
Most customers with your sized machine get two hooks, or two of the hook/clevis combo's and mount them inline with the loader arms. There are lot's of pictures in the gallery and in our vendor forum.

Reactions: pcabe5

·
Registered
375 Posts
First time using the front mount snowblower on my 2210. Wondering if the wobble is normal or not? The shaft is an adjustable one with about a 10" extended towards the front of the tractor.

That doesn't look right to me at all. Eventually that oscillation is going to break something. I especially don't like the wobble at the end of the video on the snow blower connection end of the shaft.

Take a look at this video:

I don't see any deviation in the shaft at all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try disconnecting the snowblower and running the PTO without an attachment to see if the wobble is the PTO output to the (PTO-attachment adapter) what's this called? Or if it is the shaft off of the snowblower to the adapter.

·
Premium Member
12,814 Posts
That doesn't look right to me at all. Eventually that oscillation is going to break something. I especially don't like the wobble at the end of the video on the snow blower connection end of the shaft.
I agree. Those joints and yokes are taking a pounding.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I unmourned the blower. The shake is the shaft between the PTO and the front quick hitch. What do I do now? There is some play in the joints but I'd be more curious if the pto shaft is bent or unbalanced. This is my first tractor and first pto experience so I am a newb. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
More research and looking at parts seems to lead me to believe that this is the original PTO shaft, and since inception has gone through at least one revision.

The PTO shaft I have is telescoping, (photo below is a grab from a youtube video) has one U joint on each end, and has quick connects on each end.

Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 9.34.52 AM.png

The bracket that mounts to the tractor has a splined shaft on either side, one side the quick connect pto shaft attaches to, and the other side the quick connect on the snowblower attaches to.

Lastly, the PTO adapter with the splines on both sides appears to have a slight bow in it, almost as if the splined shaft is too long.

This type of adapter but it doesn't seem to be spaced properly for some reason on mine - The black steel is not perfectly parallel. (this photo is not of mine)

Quick Connect .JPG

Any information or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
The important thing is to see if your shaft is bent. If bent it will cause your wobble.

Shaft.JPG

Reactions: pcabe5 and BigJim55

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I unmourned the blower. The shake is the shaft between the PTO and the front quick hitch. What do I do now? There is some play in the joints but I'd be more curious if the pto shaft is bent or unbalanced. This is my first tractor and first pto experience so I am a newb. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

You need to be sure the u-joints are in good shape as well. You may have several things going on to cause your wobble. If the bearings in the u-joints have play then you need to replace them as you'll have a big mess if they actually completely fail when you are using them.

Reactions: Ray_PA and pcabe5

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I just found this thread about a retrofit kit that replaces the telescoping PTO shaft and has a double U joint. I think this might be where I need to start since it appears to be an issue with both my model 2210 and the 2305. That being said, how would I check to see if those parts are bent as well?

2305 snowblower drive-shaft retrofit

·
Registered
185 Posts
The important thing is to see if your shaft is bent. If bent it will cause your wobble.

Also check the phasing of the universal joints.
I had a 2305 that the whole tractor would shake if the PTO shaft universal joints were not in phase.
There is a sticky posted by Kenny which explains proper phasing (and lots of other good information).

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I just found this thread about a retrofit kit that replaces the telescoping PTO shaft and has a double U joint. I think this might be where I need to start since it appears to be an issue with both my model 2210 and the 2305. That being said, how would I check to see if those parts are bent as well?

2305 snowblower drive-shaft retrofit
You are correct, there have been design changes. It is your call, fix what you have or do the upgrade.

To check for straightness, I'd disassemble everything and check it. If it is out bad enough you should be able to just spin it by hand and see it.

Reactions: pcabe5

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are correct, there have been design changes. It is your call, fix what you have or do the upgrade.

To check for straightness, I'd disassemble everything and check it. If it is out bad enough you should be able to just spin it by hand and see it.
Does the vibration look overly excessive is the real question though, and will it shake the machine apart to the point of issues? Any idea if the revised part was due to breakage of the machine or because people complained? I don't personally like the vibration, but I don't see what the "fix" is to my machine other than the new part. Except.. How do I "adjust?" the PTO adapter? Maybe the angle or hex bearings aren't lined up or adjusted properly?

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Does the vibration look overly excessive is the real question though, and will it shake the machine apart to the point of issues? Any idea if the revised part was due to breakage of the machine or because people complained? I don't personally like the vibration, but I don't see what the "fix" is to my machine other than the new part. Except.. How do I "adjust?" the PTO adapter? Maybe the angle or hex bearings aren't lined up or adjusted properly?
Well, if it were my machine I would be fixing it. I am thinking that Deere was possibly having some issues or they just saw it as a design improvement or both, I do not really know. I am not sure of your question on "How to adjust it". I do not think it is an adjustment issue, it is more of a fix it issue. I am unaware of any adjustments that you can make. You are really at the point of evaluating all of the components and then deciding from there. You need to look at the bearings, the shafts, and the u-joints. I am starting to think that maybe you should consider taking it into your dealer if this beyond your capability, just a suggestion.

Reactions: Ray_PA and pcabe5

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, if it were my machine I would be fixing it. I am thinking that Deere was possibly having some issues or they just saw it as a design improvement or both, I do not really know. I am not sure of your question on "How to adjust it". I do not think it is an adjustment issue, it is more of a fix it issue. I am unaware of any adjustments that you can make. You are really at the point of evaluating all of the components and then deciding from there. You need to look at the bearings, the shafts, and the u-joints. I am starting to think that maybe you should consider taking it into your dealer if this beyond your capability, just a suggestion.
I should be able to handle it, I just want to confirm there isn't something I am overlooking in regards to how it should work, or if the vibration is something that, even though it seems to be typical and an upgrade offered, isn't considered normal and nothing to specifically worry about. If there were a repair to the components I currently have, I would consider it, but given a new part exists, I should probably go with that. Thanks for the info, it is all quite helpful.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts