Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
South of Buffalo NY we are expected to get about 2 feet of snow in the next 2 days. Maybe more! This will be the first real test for our new JD 54" snowblower and 1025r. Right now we have 4" of super wet snow on the ground and it's snowing hard. It's going to the low 20's tomorrow so the bottom inches will be ice. A real test. After having a x748 and 47" blower the last 8 years, I'm anxious to test the new set up. A little nervous about the plastic composite rotor in the new blower.

Who else expects major snow in the next few days?

Reactions: 636mullet

·
Registered
222 Posts
just some flurries here in MN, I would like to hear the comparison of the 2 units. what are you going for weight on your 1025R? I just used my 1025 with 47" snow blower for the first time, not much snow to test it, but I had fun!:good2:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just some flurries here in MN, I would like to hear the comparison of the 2 units. what are you going for weight on your 1025R? I just used my 1025 with 47" snow blower for the first time, not much snow to test it, but I had fun!:good2:

Have a heavy hitch on back with 8 suitcase weights.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Does your 47 snow blower have the composite rotor or metal?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
South of Buffalo NY we are expected to get about 2 feet of snow in the next 2 days. Maybe more! A little nervous about the plastic composite rotor in the new blower.
Is there an "envy smilie" anywhere....? :laugh:

After all the "stuff" that's gone sucessfully past my plastic PowerFlow impeller, I wouldn't worry too much about your blower fan.:laugh: JD has plastic figgered out I think!

...and HEY, don't forget to charge the camera batteries, this will be the first real snow I've seen this season!:laugh:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there an "envy smilie" anywhere....? :laugh:

After all the "stuff" that's gone sucessfully past my plastic PowerFlow impeller, I wouldn't worry too much about your blower fan.:laugh: JD has plastic figgered out I think!

...and HEY, don't forget to charge the camera batteries, this will be the first real snow I've seen this season!:laugh:

I was talking to my salesman a while back and he said the impeller is the same one as the powerflow. Will have some pic's tomorrow.

·
Registered
222 Posts
metal

I didn't know they made a plastic one, you would think the RPM would be a bit faster from the weight loss.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Impeller material

Curious as why the J.D. 47" front blower has a plastic? impeller, however my
3 point 48" Frontier SB1148 is metal. Different manufacturers ??
20141025_140223.jpg

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Curious as why the J.D. 47" front blower has a plastic? impeller, however my
3 point 48" Frontier SB1148 is metal. Different manufacturers ??
View attachment 35405

When I purchased my 1025r, I had to wait about 3 weeks for the 54" snow blower to come in. Was surprised about the impeller and disappointed. Of course the salesman never told me. I asked him about it and he seemed to think there had been less impeller repairs since the change. But you can't believe anything they say. I didn't even suspect the change until I saw the topic here.

I will give updates over the next couple days as were supposed to get hit hard.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Plastic impeller beware!!!!!! Last year I got in some heavy crusty stuff (Yes I was going real slow, FWD speed)and after using it, there was a knocking sound coming from the blower head. It took a while to investigate where it was coming from. My impeller has about 1/4" play in rotation back and forth.

Called the dealer and they did some research. Come to find out that the back side of the impeller has a male hex nut molded into it. That intern goes into a metal hex drive plate on the back side which drives the impeller.

I ran it all last year and will do the same this year. The knocking had subsided and keep a watchful eye on it. To change it out the whole thing has to come apart.......

I would rather have metal!!!!!!!! All the Oshkosh snow blowers I operated in the Air Force were all metal.

:greentractorride:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Plastic impeller beware!!!!!! Last year I got in some heavy crusty stuff (Yes I was going real slow, FWD speed)and after using it, there was a knocking sound coming from the blower head. It took a while to investigate where it was coming from. My impeller has about 1/4" play in rotation back and forth.

Called the dealer and they did some research. Come to find out that the back side of the impeller has a male hex nut molded into it. That intern goes into a metal hex drive plate on the back side which drives the impeller.

I ran it all last year and will do the same this year. The knocking had subsided and keep a watchful eye on it. To change it out the whole thing has to come apart.......

I would rather have metal!!!!!!!! All the Oshkosh snow blowers I operated in the Air Force were all metal.

:greentractorride:

I would rather have metal to. Ya know, we pay big bucks for JD quality and we have to sit around and worry about this stuff. Not right!

·
Registered
338 Posts
After seeing what happens to a steel impeller, I would be weary of a plastic one. The company I work for does commercial snow removal and its amazing what a person can find in a parking lot. We have had to straighten our impellers out a bunch of times do to rocks, chunks of wood, sign posts...

Good luck with the snow out there, and if you can keep it there instead of sending it east, I would appreciate it :thumbup1gif:

Adam

·
Registered
24 Posts
After a couple seasons on blowing the snow around with my 47 front mount. That impeller is junk. Occasionally picking up crushed stone from the sides of the driveway has killed it. I'll post some pics later.

·
Premium Member
13,035 Posts
metal

I didn't know they made a plastic one, you would think the RPM would be a bit faster from the weight loss.
The plastic impeller works "ok" but not as good as a metal one. I'm going into my 3rd year with my 54" on a 2720. I came from a MTD 33" 12HP walk-behind that would throw the snow 40 feet. Now we all know the idea isn't to see how far you can throw it but a snowblower that will throw fluffy snow 40 feet will also throw the wet heavy stuff 15-20 feet which is more than enough.

Anyway, I was a bit disappointed with the 54" during the first season. It didn't perform nearly as well as my old MTD walk-behind. Then I started reading a lot of on-line reports about the plastic vs. steel impeller. At the time the 47" blower still came with steel impellers and they seemed to be doing a better job. I have a gravel driveway so the idea of a plastic... err... umm... I mean "Composite" impeller just didn't blow my skirt up.

I had a lot of bonus credits built up with GFP so during the summer after that first season I ordered the metal impeller and swapped it out. It wasn't that bad of a job. In fact, taking the blower apart was a good thing because even though my blower was only 1 year old the metal shaft that runs through the impeller was already rusted solid to the metal bushing on the impeller itself. I cannot imagine what it would be like after a few years. I gave it a good coating of anti-seeze when I reassembled it.

One thing I noticed right away in comparing the two impellers is the plastic one just had straight fins whereas the metal impeller has fins that are bent on the end to form a bit of a cup. Another difference is with the plastic impeller there is an extra metal plate that goes on the hex that serves as a mount for the shear bolt whereas with the metal impeller the shear bolt plate and the impeller is all one piece.

Last season was the first opportunity to try out the new metal impeller and throwing distances were improved significantly - the wet stuff especially. So my results mirrored others who have made the swap.

I assume JD will continue to make the metal impeller as there are a lot of existing blowers in the field that still use the metal part. If you are going from plastic to metal you only need the impeller. If going from metal to plastic you need the impeller and shear plate.

Reactions: Henri88

·
Registered
967 Posts
BWWWAAAA-HAAAAAA! A Plastic Rotor! BWWWAAAA-HAAAA! Oh, I need to check mine this morning.... So, I start pushing the snow from last night rather than operate the blower and completely forgot the check the impeller too. Oh, one little pile needs to go.... Engaged the PTO and that Gear grinding sound comes from out front. Yup! My "PLASTIC" Impeller just went south. Dealer will "Try" to get her picked up late today or tomorrow. :thumbsdown:

So, those of you who who had the "PLASTIC" impeller trash-out on you, what is the replacement? Plastic or Metal?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
^^^ That Stinks^^^ my 47"is metal, one good thing about it is one can (kinda) bend it back after trying to blow large rocks :flag_of_truce:

so I"ve heard...also get good at tearing the thing apart to repair....PS FYI wet sunday paper is close to rock when jammed in blower

Reactions: HouseMouse

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
Yes, Buffalo and areas just south are getting hit hard. I am south of Buffalo, but too far (70 miles or so) and the sun is out here, and it can stay out for all I care. I like the snow less with each passing year.

In regards to the plastic vs. metal impeller, that is why I have hung onto my 47" blower through a couple machine trades. I am going into my 8th winter with this blower and the impeller has a few minor dents, but if I can get another 8 years out of it, I will be grinning.:good2:

Also, I have never found this blower to rocket the snow great distances. My neighbor's old (mid 90's) Cub Cadet GT with front blower, now that would launch the snow! But this Deere blower has been super dependable (finally replaced the original bearings last year, after ingesting a small piece of chain used to block off a section of driveway :cry:), will clean up all types of snow, and even snow amounts of snow. And it gets it plenty clear of the driveway for our purposes.:good2:

Now back to waiting for Phil's snow report......:munch:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, Buffalo and areas just south are getting hit hard. I am south of Buffalo, but too far (70 miles or so) and the sun is out here, and it can stay out for all I care. I like the snow less with each passing year.

In regards to the plastic vs. metal impeller, that is why I have hung onto my 47" blower through a couple machine trades. I am going into my 8th winter with this blower and the impeller has a few minor dents, but if I can get another 8 years out of it, I will be grinning.:good2:

Also, I have never found this blower to rocket the snow great distances. My neighbor's old (mid 90's) Cub Cadet GT with front blower, now that would launch the snow! But this Deere blower has been super dependable (finally replaced the original bearings last year, after ingesting a small piece of chain used to block off a section of driveway :cry:), will clean up all types of snow, and even snow amounts of snow. And it gets it plenty clear of the driveway for our purposes.:good2:

Now back to waiting for Phil's snow report......:munch:

Well....we only got about 10" but closer to the city they got about 4 ft.....yes 4 ft and it's still snowing. My sister and my nephew report mailbox high snow and not pushed there by the plow. Neither have seen a plow. There r driving bans everywhere. My guess is it will be days before they get out.

I did my driveway about an hour ago and everything went fine. Had some issues with the RIO once or twice. Still getting used to it. It's 13 degrees. Tractor smoked on startup more than usual but I guess that's the way they are.

Snowblower did fine...still hate plastic impeller. Gonna ***** to dealer in spring.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts