Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Labor Day is half over, so we might as well have another thread about winter!

There are a lot of threads here about using the correct engine speed with pto attachments, but this contradicts how I use my front mount snowblower.

When I am mowing I am at full throttle. When snowblowing, I adjust the throttle to change how far the snow is being thrown. I move all the snow to a specific area of my lawn, so on my first couple passes I am at almost zero throttle and I am only moving the snow a couple feet. Then on the last couple passes I go full throttle and send the snow flying.

When I am at low throttle I adjust my speed with the foot pedal if the engine is bogging down.

Just curious to hear how others use their equipment.

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
I have the 54-inch front blower and always run at or near the indicated PTO speed. That is the best way to avoid any clogging problems. I vary the throw distance by adjusting the chute spout. That way I can either throw snow right next to the tractor or into the next field.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I have the 54-inch front blower and always run at or near the indicated PTO speed. That is the best way to avoid any clogging problems. I vary the throw distance by adjusting the chute spout. That way I can either throw snow right next to the tractor or into the next field.
Ditto.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
I use an actuator on the chute defector to control distance.

·
Registered
591 Posts
ditto

Just curious to hear how others use their equipment.

I don't have a blower for the tractor yet, but I've used a walk behind for many years. I always ran at WOT and use the chute deflector to adjust the throw distance. Of course, this assumes you have control over your chute deflector. When I finally get my 54" front blower adding chute deflector control will be my first project.

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
ditto

I don't have a blower for the tractor yet, but I've used a walk behind for many years. I always ran at WOT and use the chute deflector to adjust the throw distance. Of course, this assumes you have control over your chute deflector. When I finally get my 54" front blower adding chute deflector control will be my first project.
My old 25-year old walk-behind never had a remote spout control. On the 54-inch front blower I'm using the JD OEM remote spout control kit. It's low tech but it works very well. Maybe someday when it breaks I'll rig up an actuator.

·
Registered
591 Posts
My old 25-year old walk-behind never had a remote spout control...
My 1994 TRX26 did. You should have bought a Deere. :) (Though I think this series was actually made by Murray)

...On the 54-inch front blower I'm using the JD OEM remote spout control kit. It's low tech but it works very well. Maybe someday when it breaks I'll rig up an actuator.
But again, that's an add-on. The real question is does swiver have the chute control. I already have the Deere 3rd mid scv on my tractor so I plan to add a hydraulic actuator to the chute if/when I get mine.

Sorry if it looked like I was directing my post to you. To your comment I said ditto. The rest was intended for swiver. Edited to make that clear.

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
My 1994 TRX26 did. You should have bought a Deere. :) (Though I think this series was actually made by Murray)
Yeah, probably. :) Mine is a 33" 13HP MTD. I still have it and it still runs and works fine. I bought it in 1992. This was back when MTD made decent machines. The nice thing about MTD is you can still get parts most anywhere.

But let me tell you my story about newer JD snow blowers. You bought yours back when they were still decent machines. I bought a new 1338PE walk-behind snow blower in 2011. I thought I was buying a quality JD machine. Not so. The dealer knew almost nothing about it and couldn't even provide a parts manual for it and just getting some extra shear bolts was a struggle. I quickly got the vibe that it was some kind of red-headed step-child. At the time I couldn't figure out who the OEM was. I could only imagine what support and parts availability would be like on this thing 20 years down the road.

The following year I decided to get a CUT with a front blower and I traded in the virtually unused 1338PE at a loss. I was never so glad to get rid of a new piece of equipment in my life. It gave me a whole new appreciation for my 25-year old MTD.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I haven't added a blower to my tractor yet however on my Ariens HydroPro walk behind I always run it WOT and change the chute angle. The only time I end up pulling back the throttle is when the snowbanks get too tall and I can no long rely upon the chute angle. At that time I'll back off the throttle maybe 20% and angle the chute up to get additional lift without so much distance.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I rarely use the blower but when I do, I have tried lower RPM. Those are the times that it will get snow stuck in the chute. Granted, the only time I will put the blower on is if we have a lot of wet heavy snow that is too hard to plow. I am sure it would work better with the light fluffy snow but I just plow that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts