Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Round 1 goes to stump...

Tonight I ventured in places unknown and was rewarded with a small tree stump. Of course it snapped the shear pin, but it also bent the auger slightly. Using a short 2x4 and a hammer I’ve bent the auger back fairly well...still a little out. So now when lifting the blower all the way up @2000 rpm the blower wobbles back and forth pretty good, enough to rock the tractor with it.
1) Would a slight bend in the auger create the new wobble? How perfect does it need to be?
2) Could I have damaged the quick hitch and it is allowing the blower to wobble? What are the common points of failure to check on the quick hitch?

We have another six inches coming tomorrow right and I’ll need to use this thing, but I don’t want to cause further damage with the wobble.
Thanks in advance,
Adam

2018 - 1025R
120R, 60D, 54SB, iMatch, Ballast Box

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Yep, I should have known better

How do I post a video?

2018 - 1025R
You may have tweeted the shaft. The auger itself only rides on the shaft and not turning fast enough to cause the wobble from a balance issue.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Yep, I should have known better

How do I post a video?

2018 - 1025R
You have to post the video to you tube or some other site, then post the link.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My 425 wobbled somewhat and my brand new 1025r with 10 hours on it wobbles too. Are you 100% sure it didntnwobble before swallowing the stump? Ive seen other people mention on here that its normal to a certain extent, not all the time. I thi k Id cjexk it over but not be too concerned unless its shaking you out of the seat.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Mine looks to be fairly straight as far as I know. I’ve broken a few sheer pins on 6x6 blocks I use for my trailers jacks to sit on. Mine from new wobbled and made some noise when new. Could be that now you’ve bumped it your getting the “worry” noise

·
Super Moderator
7,911 Posts
It's not uncommon for the blower assembly to wobble when raised. The implement drive / driveshaft is at an extreme angle and the u-joint is in a near bind. This condition causes the output shaft speed to rise and fall and the blower will wobble. I don't believe it's related to the condition of your auger.

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
It's not uncommon for the blower assembly to wobble when raised. The implement drive / driveshaft is at an extreme angle and the u-joint is in a near bind. This condition causes the output shaft speed to rise and fall and the blower will wobble. I don't believe it's related to the condition of your auger.
Yeap - my 54" front blower wobbles back and forth when it is raised up. Plus it has a little vibration when running at full PTO speed. Just the nature of this well engineered beast. :-(

·
Registered
348 Posts
Round 1 goes to stump...

Tonight I ventured in places unknown and was rewarded with a small tree stump. Of course it snapped the shear pin, but it also bent the auger slightly. Using a short 2x4 and a hammer I’ve bent the auger back fairly well...still a little out. So now when lifting the blower all the way up @2000 rpm the blower wobbles back and forth pretty good, enough to rock the tractor with it.
1) Would a slight bend in the auger create the new wobble? How perfect does it need to be?
2) Could I have damaged the quick hitch and it is allowing the blower to wobble? What are the common points of failure to check on the quick hitch?

We have another six inches coming tomorrow right and I’ll need to use this thing, but I don’t want to cause further damage with the wobble.
Thanks in advance,
Adam

2018 - 1025R

Crap happens, hope the repairs can be made and your back to business ASAP.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I’ll look everything over really well, rotate it by hand to see if anything looks out of sorts, and call it good.
Thanks again

2018 - 1025R

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I would take the auger out of the blower and see if the shaft is bent.
That would cause a shake more that a bent blade.
Remember you have bearing on the ends of the shaft. You could of bent one of the carrer it set in.
Good luck with your repair.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Round 1 goes to stump...

Thanks in advance,
Adam

2018 - 1025R
With it rocking the tractor, I'd have a closer look. Mine rocks back and forth but not enough to rock the tractor. Bit everything is relative and just like having a car accident, you tend to see things, that were probably already that way, even before the accident.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would take the auger out of the blower and see if the shaft is bent.
That would cause a shake more that a bent blade.
Remember you have bearing on the ends of the shaft. You could of bent one of the carrer it set in.
Good luck with your repair.
Thank you, this seems more like what I’m experiencing...I’ll tear it down this weekend.

2018 - 1025R

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, nothing bent as you all suspected. The vibration is caused by a warn u joint on the blower side. I can believe it’s warn after 1.5 seasons. I’ll replace in the spring and be sure to only lift the blower a couple inches which engaged in the future.

Thanks again

2018 - 1025R

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
Well, nothing bent as you all suspected. The vibration is caused by a warn u joint on the blower side. I can believe it’s warn after 1.5 seasons. I’ll replace in the spring and be sure to only lift the blower a couple inches which engaged in the future.
Are you planning to just replace the U-joint on the existing driveshaft?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you planning to just replace the U-joint on the existing driveshaft?
Great question, I suppose I’ll price out both options and see which is more cost effective. I have the later model with the double cardian joint, not sure how that will factor in.

2018 - 1025R

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
Great question, I suppose I’ll price out both options and see which is more cost effective. I have the later model with the double cardian joint, not sure how that will factor in.
Ugh! That's not good. If you have the double-cardian shaft JD Parts is only showing the whole drive shaft as a part for $542.

On the shafts with standard U-joints you can replace the U-joints for $32 (each end).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ugh! That's not good. If you have the double-cardian shaft JD Parts is only showing the whole drive shaft as a part for $542.

On the shafts with standard U-joints you can replace the U-joints for $32 (each end).
I wonder if they will warranty it, I’ve only had the blower 14 months. If not I may get the older version so I change out the i joints.

2018 - 1025R

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
I wonder if they will warranty it, I’ve only had the blower 14 months. If not I may get the older version so I change out the i joints.
You would have to check to ensure you can still get the older version. I don't see it listed in JD Parts. They only show the older style U-bolt drive shaft for the 2-series front drive. They may be different lengths. That drive shaft is $420.

It is worth asking about the warranty. The worst they can do is say no.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts