Green Tractor Talk banner

Snowblower vs Stump

4K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  jgayman 
#1 ·
Round 1 goes to stump...

Tonight I ventured in places unknown and was rewarded with a small tree stump. Of course it snapped the shear pin, but it also bent the auger slightly. Using a short 2x4 and a hammer I’ve bent the auger back fairly well...still a little out. So now when lifting the blower all the way up @2000 rpm the blower wobbles back and forth pretty good, enough to rock the tractor with it.
1) Would a slight bend in the auger create the new wobble? How perfect does it need to be?
2) Could I have damaged the quick hitch and it is allowing the blower to wobble? What are the common points of failure to check on the quick hitch?

We have another six inches coming tomorrow right and I’ll need to use this thing, but I don’t want to cause further damage with the wobble.
Thanks in advance,
Adam

2018 - 1025R
120R, 60D, 54SB, iMatch, Ballast Box

#8 ·
It's not uncommon for the blower assembly to wobble when raised. The implement drive / driveshaft is at an extreme angle and the u-joint is in a near bind. This condition causes the output shaft speed to rise and fall and the blower will wobble. I don't believe it's related to the condition of your auger.

#9 ·
Yeap - my 54" front blower wobbles back and forth when it is raised up. Plus it has a little vibration when running at full PTO speed. Just the nature of this well engineered beast. :-(

Reactions: Toughsox
#12 ·
I would take the auger out of the blower and see if the shaft is bent.
That would cause a shake more that a bent blade.
Remember you have bearing on the ends of the shaft. You could of bent one of the carrer it set in.
Good luck with your repair.

Reactions: Toughsox and PJR832
#13 ·
With it rocking the tractor, I'd have a closer look. Mine rocks back and forth but not enough to rock the tractor. Bit everything is relative and just like having a car accident, you tend to see things, that were probably already that way, even before the accident.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Toughsox and PJR832
#16 ·
Well, nothing bent as you all suspected. The vibration is caused by a warn u joint on the blower side. I can believe it’s warn after 1.5 seasons. I’ll replace in the spring and be sure to only lift the blower a couple inches which engaged in the future.
Are you planning to just replace the U-joint on the existing driveshaft?

Reactions: Toughsox
#19 ·
Ugh! That's not good. If you have the double-cardian shaft JD Parts is only showing the whole drive shaft as a part for $542.

On the shafts with standard U-joints you can replace the U-joints for $32 (each end).
I wonder if they will warranty it, I’ve only had the blower 14 months. If not I may get the older version so I change out the i joints.

2018 - 1025R
120R, 60D, 54SB, iMatch, Ballast Box

#20 · (Edited)
I wonder if they will warranty it, I’ve only had the blower 14 months. If not I may get the older version so I change out the i joints.
You would have to check to ensure you can still get the older version. I don't see it listed in JD Parts. They only show the older style U-bolt drive shaft for the 2-series front drive. They may be different lengths. That drive shaft is $420.

It is worth asking about the warranty. The worst they can do is say no.

#21 ·
Hey... I just thought of something. Before you buy a new drive shaft as a replacement part, check with the dealer to see what it would cost purchasing it as a "sales item". I was playing with the Build Your Own tool and looking at the required 1025R options when you add a snow blower. They show a driveshaft as a required item and the price is $237 less than the replacement part driveshaft style (see below).

BLV10899 is the sales kit and AM138128 is the replacement part. Be sure to verify the part numbers with your dealer.

Also, I saw someone had a NEW one of these on Ebay for $130. Unfortunately it has already sold.

Part Number:
BLV10899
Part Price: 304.19 USD
On Hand:
1 Check Other Stores
Description: Drive Shaft - DRIVE SHAFT, DRIVE SHAFT, 47 & 54 S

Part Number:
AM138128
Part Price: 541.39 USD
On Hand:
0 Check Other Stores
Description: Universal Driveshaft - UNIVERSAL DRIVESHAFT, DRIVESHAFT, U

#23 ·
Do you mean part #8 below? Why do you think the key is made of plastic? According to JD Parts, P/N 1045CD is made from Cold-Drawn steel.

Part Number:
R294DN
Part Price:3.29 USD
On Hand:
1 Check Other Stores
Description:Key - KEY, MAIN CLUTCH SHAFT

Specification
Weight:0.02 LBS 0.01 Kg
Key Width0.250 IN
Length1.750 IN
Material1045CD

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.