Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
777 Posts
I think in high snow areas of the country rear blowers are a better choice on lower HP tractors. Their direct hook up means more power to blow through higher and wetter snow am I wrong?

I wonder if there is a HP to snow formula that considers the height and wetness/weight of snow? If there isn't there should be.

· Registered
777 Posts
I think a blower on the back gives the best bang for the buck on smaller machines.
I get 3' drifts and higher that can be 300 foot long, for $4000 I expect to drive right through 2' of snow like it wasn't there... I worry I would fall asleep if the video is a fair representation of what a front end blower can do to 2' of snow.

I put my 5' back blade on backwards so it follows, it's weight and reversed cutting edge take care of any snow the bucket might leave behind, it makes the stone drive as flat as a pool table.

· Registered
777 Posts
Still to slow George. For two pounds of past it's expiration date taco meat you get twenty illegals to clear that track in half the time. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

When I lived in the burbs I had a 10 HP Ariens 30" or 32"? snow blower that would kick that front end blowers azz. :lol:

· Registered
777 Posts
What's everyone running for snowblowers on your machines, if you have them? The ~$3000 they quoted me for a front-mount 54" JD blower seemed like a bit much (blower + front QH), so I was thinking of getting a rear mount one. What are brands people are familiar with and what are your experiences with them?
thanks in advance-
JDfun
For the three to four grand they want for a front mount blower I'm pretty sure I could put a Western plow on my 4X4 and be inside.

· Registered
777 Posts
If you need them they aren't a luxury and worth every sent... blowers are to slow for the length of drive I have to clean.

I don't even worry about snow until it gets over 6"... I'm guessing our average snow fall is a dry 6-12".... we do get occasional storms that can be much higher with drifting but its never been anything the 855 without a weight box and it's 20 year old 2 ply snow assassin lawn tires couldn't handle.

· Registered
777 Posts
If your equipment works for you, that is all that matters. :good2:
We usually average at least 200" of snow per winter and you are right, during those big storms, it can take some time to blow out the driveway, but it is seat time and not every snowfall, so my complaints are few. I will stop short of saying, bring it on, as I am not ready for the white stuff yet.:good2:
I know what you mean, it's depressing thinking about what's coming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.