Green Tractor Talk banner

snowblowers?

19291 Views 66 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  Regan
What's everyone running for snowblowers on your machines, if you have them? The ~$3000 they quoted me for a front-mount 54" JD blower seemed like a bit much (blower + front QH), so I was thinking of getting a rear mount one. What are brands people are familiar with and what are your experiences with them?
thanks in advance-
JDfun
21 - 40 of 67 Posts
This front mount blower doesn't impress me much. I have 1600 feet to clear if I want out right after a heavy snow. By this video it would take until spring to get out using this front end blower set up.

I could bucket and push the snow faster. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORXKkTab4N8&feature=related
Dellwas.....although the tractor runs relatively quietly, the unadvertised advantage is...you won't be able to hear the wife anyway! So enjoy! (at least until dinner time) ;)

Tackit....I'm on a gravel lane and always hate the sound of rocks shooting out the end of my last Ariens blower. Having the FEL on the front will likely do most of the clearing which avoids the sub-sonic projectiles screaming out the end of the blower.....at least until the base has been set. The combination seems to make sense and never actually thought about the hp side of the equation as a factor and wouldn't know how to calculate either!

I've heard many suggestions that having to turn to look backwards would be a pain but I'm not seeing this as a problem as during normal ops with any rear implement.....I'm constantly turning around anyway! Tillers, tuning plows, etc....all require rearward viewing constantly and the seating on this thing is extremely comfortable.
With the lighting package on the 1026R, the entire area - front, sides and rear are very well lite up!

Cheers

Bob
Pretty much my impression as well. Similar run to you and limited space to push in some areas (hence the blower portion) but also some tighter spots that dragging snow back with a bucket and dropping off the edge will be much faster and safer!
This front mount blower doesn't impress me much. I have 1600 feet to clear if I want out right after a heavy snow. By this video it would take until spring to get out using this front end blower set up.

I could bucket and push the snow faster. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORXKkTab4N8&feature=related
That's my take on it too, plus the extra weight on the rear should help, as well as more traction...

I think in high snow areas of the country rear blowers are a better choice on lower HP tractors. Their direct hook up means more power to blow through higher and wetter snow am I wrong?

I wonder if there is a HP to snow formula that considers the height and wetness/weight of snow? If there isn't there should be.
I think a blower on the back gives the best bang for the buck on smaller machines.
I get 3' drifts and higher that can be 300 foot long, for $4000 I expect to drive right through 2' of snow like it wasn't there... I worry I would fall asleep if the video is a fair representation of what a front end blower can do to 2' of snow.

I put my 5' back blade on backwards so it follows, it's weight and reversed cutting edge take care of any snow the bucket might leave behind, it makes the stone drive as flat as a pool table.
I like your thinking. Fortunatly, I can tell when I've pushed her too far. She's Hungarian, so when she goes off in her native tongue I'm done. She hasn't done that over the blower yet!

Actually I won't be happy till I'm running this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCqEBdjaXpM

Dellwas.....although the tractor runs relatively quietly, the unadvertised advantage is...you won't be able to hear the wife anyway! So enjoy! (at least until dinner time) ;)

Tackit....I'm on a gravel lane and always hate the sound of rocks shooting out the end of my last Ariens blower. Having the FEL on the front will likely do most of the clearing which avoids the sub-sonic projectiles screaming out the end of the blower.....at least until the base has been set. The combination seems to make sense and never actually thought about the hp side of the equation as a factor and wouldn't know how to calculate either!

I've heard many suggestions that having to turn to look backwards would be a pain but I'm not seeing this as a problem as during normal ops with any rear implement.....I'm constantly turning around anyway! Tillers, tuning plows, etc....all require rearward viewing constantly and the seating on this thing is extremely comfortable.
With the lighting package on the 1026R, the entire area - front, sides and rear are very well lite up!

Cheers

Bob
Still to slow George. For two pounds of past it's expiration date taco meat you get twenty illegals to clear that track in half the time. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

When I lived in the burbs I had a 10 HP Ariens 30" or 32"? snow blower that would kick that front end blowers azz. :lol:
I had an Ariens too, but I seriously doubt it would handle snowdrifts 8-10 ft. high, such as what the train blower was doing. :unknown:

Don't know why the engineer was taking it slow, but they are certainly capable of faster speeds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frBh5vO_2g0

And if that doesn't crank your turn, how about a plow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srVbUL2KeLY

I love to remove snow, and that would be a fun job for me... Just think of the power, one of the railroads has a jet powered snowblower, 3000 HP!

Still to slow George. For two pounds of past it's expiration date taco meat you get twenty illegals to clear that track in half the time. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

When I lived in the burbs I had a 10 HP Ariens 30" or 32"? snow blower that would kick that front end blowers azz. :lol:
Jim, the only conclusion I can make here is you are moving snow for hire. For no other reason I can think of for you to worry about any kind of speed. Also, bear in mind that you are actually picking up that snow and throwing it and not just pushing it out of the way. Just my 2 cents.

Bob, your young age is showing, you'll change your mind as the years pass. You make a valid point on the other attachments, my view is that, easier is better and looking forward is easier. As was noted in another thread, "Smarter not Harder". :lol:
Cheers

Bob
I don't necessarily disagree Randy. I just find that the FEL is always so versatile and in combination with just about anything else attached on the rear, seems to work really well but in absence of it, you lose some of the versatility. With a quick poll I'd bet most would identify the FEL as the one implement most often utilized across all the seasons....it simply has so many functions.
Regardless....when I get old enough that I can't turn my head 90 degree's sporadically, I think I'll just get the kid next door to shovel it for me while I watch "facing forward" and idling on my tractor!!! ;)

Cheers
Bob
Bob, your young age is showing, you'll change your mind as the years pass. You make a valid point on the other attachments, my view is that, easier is better and looking forward is easier. As was noted in another thread, "Smarter not Harder". :lol:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Can't dissagree with ya on the versatility of the FEL.
I don't necessarily disagree Randy. I just find that the FEL is always so versatile and in combination with just about anything else attached on the rear, seems to work really well but in absence of it, you lose some of the versatility. With a quick poll I'd bet most would identify the FEL as the one implement most often utilized across all the seasons....it simply has so many functions.
Regardless....when I get old enough that I can't turn my head 90 degree's sporadically, I think I'll just get the kid next door to shovel it for me while I watch "facing forward" and idling on my tractor!!! ;)

Cheers
Bob
Good Luck with that....if we don't hear from you, should we send in the troops? :0

Re the blower video....we have several extremely large units here at the Toronto International Airport that are very impressive to watch and "would be" great fun to operate! Does seem to be a reduction in stray cats around too....not sure if connected! Even the occasional Prius goes missing!
I like your thinking. Fortunatly, I can tell when I've pushed her too far. She's Hungarian, so when she goes off in her native tongue I'm done. She hasn't done that over the blower yet!

Actually I won't be happy till I'm running this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCqEBdjaXpM
Well will know soon enough, dealer is 160 K from me. Regional rep sent him an email to see if he has one in stock for the 2305....

Yup, Halifax International has some big ones too. Reminds me, that way back in '64 or '65 NS got walloped Transportation asked CFB Greenwood to use the big Sicards on Provincial highways, but they soon gave up. They were picking up rocks on the highway and firing them 3-400 hundred feet through people's windows...

Good Luck with that....if we don't hear from you, should we send in the troops? :0

Re the blower video....we have several extremely large units here at the Toronto International Airport that are very impressive to watch and "would be" great fun to operate! Does seem to be a reduction in stray cats around too....not sure if connected! Even the occasional Prius goes missing!
Please be sure to let me know how you make out on the blower. I'm interested to see how close you can get to the same price!

Cheers
Bob
Well will know soon enough, dealer is 160 K from me. Regional rep sent him an email to see if he has one in stock for the 2305....

Yup, Halifax International has some big ones too. Reminds me, that way back in '64 or '65 NS got walloped Transportation asked CFB Greenwood to use the big Sicards on Provincial highways, but they soon gave up. They were picking up rocks on the highway and firing them 3-400 hundred feet through people's windows...
Sure will...

Please be sure to let me know how you make out on the blower. I'm interested to see how close you can get to the same price!

Cheers
Bob
Need your advice

I just moved from a 2210 to a 2320. Since I had the JD 47" front mounted blower on the 2210, I decided to keep it for the 2320. I knew I had to replace the quick hitch, drive shaft, and front PTO transition. But here is my question....with the extra width of the 2320 (back wheel are reversed for wider stance), am I going to have problems in deep snow with only the 47" blower width? I have about 900 feet of driveway to take care of.
If anyone has any experience of running a 47" on the 2320, I'd appreciate hearing about it.
Thanks.
Whew, not even close.

Snow blower with manual turner
1048 (48") $2100 plus tax
1054 (54") $2265 plus tax

I'll defintly be passing. Any idea on the weight of these? I just may make a trip with the Jetta wagon and trailer next spring to Ontario... I expected to pay a couple of hundred more for shipping, but $600 extra???

Cheers
Bob
Welcome to DT!

I just moved from a 2210 to a 2320. Since I had the JD 47" front mounted blower on the 2210, I decided to keep it for the 2320. I knew I had to replace the quick hitch, drive shaft, and front PTO transition. But here is my question....with the extra width of the 2320 (back wheel are reversed for wider stance), am I going to have problems in deep snow with only the 47" blower width? I have about 900 feet of driveway to take care of.
If anyone has any experience of running a 47" on the 2320, I'd appreciate hearing about it.
Thanks.
I think you will be fine, For YEARS that was the only blower offered for the 4100, 4010, 4110, 4115, 2210, 2305, 2320, and the 2520, most of those are just as wide as your 2320. Some guys have fabricated "wings" for the blowers to get a little bigger bite-that's an option for you.
DaveK55,
I ran the 47" on our 2320 all of last year and enjoyed every minute of it. With that said, I had the rear tires in the narrow (original) position and sure...there were times when making a sharp turn the rear tire on the inside of the turn rode over the snow but I just cleared that up on the way back. My question is whether you are able (terrain, tools, and other things you might use your 2320 for in the winter) to change you tires to the narrow stance?
....with the extra width of the 2320 (back wheel are reversed for wider stance), am I going to have problems in deep snow with only the 47" blower width?
Thanks.
21 - 40 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.