Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anybody on here has experimented with increasing the height of the 54" plow? I know many have made mods to increase the width of their plows but I can't find any threads regarding height. The reason I ask is that I have a long narrow gravel drive and now that the snow banks are well established it's becoming increasingly difficult to plow new snow and get it up and over the banks. It would be nice to have another 6-10" of plow height. I was thinking something along the lines of this shape http://media.promarkoffroad.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/t/state-blade_1.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
76 Posts
I haven't increased the height of a 54" blade but I run a converted 6.5 ft Meyer blade on the front of my tractor. It is 26" in high x 78" and works well on the 1025r

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Missed that thread, that's what happens when I take a few weeks off of GTT. :laugh:

It seems like it wouldn't be to difficult to fab up something that could be bolted on. Maybe I'll try to mock something up out of cardboard and see if it's worth transferring to metal.
If you've got access to a metal brake, it wouldn't be too hard to make something.

My thought was making a flange that would bite across the back edge of the top that could be bolted through.

Plow face, bend bottom edge 90 deg back, then take flange and bend around 180 degrees to create a C section to mate to the top of the plow.

I too would like a little more height on my 54" plow

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't increased the height of a 54" blade but I run a converted 6.5 ft Meyer blade on the front of my tractor. It is 26" in high x 78" and works well on the 1025r

That sounds like a lot of plow for a 1025. What's the deepest snow it's handled?

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
That sounds like a lot of plow for a 1025. What's the deepest snow it's handled?
Remember.....our snow is wetter than most places. The front on my 1025R was getting pushed around by my 54", but it took 12-16" of snow to cause that. Otherwise it blew through the snow like it wasn't there. (I only live maybe 10 miles south of you)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Remember.....our snow is wetter than most places. The front on my 1025R was getting pushed around by my 54", but it took 12-16" of snow to cause that. Otherwise it blew through the snow like it wasn't there. (I only live maybe 10 miles south of you)
No doubt, we had 2-3" earlier this week of the wettest heaviest stuff I've seen all winter. It put up much more of a fight than 8-10" of fluffy stuff.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
No doubt, we had 2-3" earlier this week of the wettest heaviest stuff I've seen all winter. It put up much more of a fight than 8-10" of fluffy stuff.
Plowed last night, it was like pushing concrete! :lol:

·
Registered
76 Posts
The deepest snow so far has been a 11" wet snow. I also plow uphill with this. The 1025r handles this plow very well.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I moved the stuff this week with my loader and boxblade. If I didn't have a rubber edge on the bottom, the plow would have been fine, but as dense and wet as it was the blade just wanted to ride up and over it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just curious if anybody on here has experimented with increasing the height of the 54" plow? I know many have made mods to increase the width of their plows but I can't find any threads regarding height. The reason I ask is that I have a long narrow gravel drive and now that the snow banks are well established it's becoming increasingly difficult to plow new snow and get it up and over the banks. It would be nice to have another 6-10" of plow height. I was thinking something along the lines of this shape http://media.promarkoffroad.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/t/state-blade_1.jpg
I have the same problem as you, and I have made a rubber flap for the top, as linked to in post #2. The rubber flap will not really help your problem. It will only keep snow from coming over the top (works very well at that and I suggest installing one) but it will not allow you to roll snow up any higher off the side of the plow. You really need to add height to the plow as you originally mentioned or go faster. Seems like once the banks get about 2' tall you can't get snow over them anymore. Post it up if you figure something out.

Below is a pic of my driveway. At the time of that photo the banks were too high. Snow was just rolling off and piling up along the bank, and in front of the plow.

20140210_163415.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Updating this old thread.....see attached pics. I had this extension bent for the top of my plow. It's 6" high. Welded some ribs on the back. Working on painting it now. It will also get the rubber strip across the top like I mentioned in a previous post. I'll put up a pic of it all finished when it is. We'll see how it works soon enough.....maybe.

I feel like I'm ahead of the game because I'm working on my plow in October, but in reality this is a project I was planning on doing last winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Updating this old thread.....see attached pics. I had this extension bent for the top of my plow. It's 6" high. Welded some ribs on the back. Working on painting it now. It will also get the rubber strip across the top like I mentioned in a previous post. I'll put up a pic of it all finished when it is. We'll see how it works soon enough.....maybe.

I feel like I'm ahead of the game because I'm working on my plow in October, but in reality this is a project I was planning on doing last winter.
Nice work:bigthumb:

·
Registered
12,232 Posts
I agree - nice work. That will make a big difference in an already good piece of equipment. :thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
I agree, nice work sb7979. :thumbup1gif:
What is the total height?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Nice work. I like how you did it. It have a factory look.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree, nice work sb7979. :thumbup1gif:
What is the total height?

I measured this yesterday and if I rememer correctly it's about 24 3/4" the way it's sitting now. The angle will change a little once it's mounted to the tractor which could make it slightly less.

Here it is, all ready to go.

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
Looks nice sb7979. Actually damn nice.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nice idea indeed!. But I will be curious if the snow pushing against the top extension is enough force to bend the top of the original plow backward.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts