Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Just about finished my 60” snow pusher, waiting for some JD decals to make it look “legit”. All in I’d say it cost me around 600$ with materials left over.

I used 3/16 steel plate 4x8 sheet at $250 I still have a 2’x5’ rectangle left

I had a shop bend the blade for me that was 200$... I’ve had them do it before and never paid that much so I was a bit surprised.

4”x1/2” 10’ long cutting edge was $80 as I prefer hardened steel edge.

Paint, hardware and some welding wire would make up the balance of the cost. Don’t want to see next months power bill.

I’d estimate around 25-30hrs which includes my “design and engineering” but I did have fun. No snow for the month of December yet weather has been very mild at 5*C

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
Boy that looks nice professionally built looking too! Now just only push snow and don't beat up on it with the hidden stuff and it should give you lots of years use! Wish mine looked that nice. My Wife is starting to go along with a nice Hydraulic operated Boss 6' 6" V Plow for next year on the tractor. I don't want a real big truck type one just wider then my tractor wheelbase. After seeing that guy run down the road with it turning the blade where needed and scooping to hold it in the blade I could spend 3-4,000.00 on one! Might even do a little Hire Out work on a road near me if I do. I was showing her one in action last night on the internet.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boy that looks nice professionally built looking too! Now just only push snow and don't beat up on it with the hidden stuff and it should give you lots of years use! Wish mine looked that nice. My Wife is starting to go along with a nice Hydraulic operated Boss 6' 6" V Plow for next year on the tractor. I don't want a real big truck type one just wider then my tractor wheelbase. After seeing that guy run down the road with it turning the blade where needed and scooping to hold it in the blade I could spend 3-4,000.00 on one! Might even do a little Hire Out work on a road near me if I do. I was showing her one in action last night on the internet.
I have a 7’ 6” Vplow on the truck. Western brand, I like the remote better it’s the same on snow dawgs as well. I think the western Plow was cheaper than the boss plow to.

Not sure if they make a v Plow tractors though

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Nice fabrication work! Very nice!

Sincerely

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
I have a 7’ 6” Vplow on the truck. Western brand, I like the remote better it’s the same on snow dawgs as well. I think the western Plow was cheaper than the boss plow to.

Not sure if they make a v Plow tractors though
I just spent a long time looking at different types and reviews and Western seems to be stronger but the more I watched it looks like just a blade with hydraulic angle would work the best for me. Then I saw this one!https://www.ksrequipment.com/inventory/v1/Current/Melecio-Attachments/John-Deere-Attachments/John-Deere-Loader-Tractor-Snow-Blade-Trip-Edge/MCO608JD72--Pontiac-Illinois---4434231 and liked it but scared on what the cost would be? I have not found what they want you have to get a quote? Then my email will be filled up with advertisements right now I have one message in my in box from my wife. Maybe some one on here knows what they want for the 72" blade do not want a 96 inch monster on the front I got that on the back and have to watch I don't catch stuff when strait. Most of the time it is angles so not much wider then my rear tires. They won't let me copy a picture of this one or I would post it. Found a picture but I don't need the ends on it. trip-edge-snowblade-2web.jpg

Cleveland makes this one for around $2,200.00 delivered but it is not as strong and the whole blade trips not the bottom cutting edge like the JD one. Snow Blade.jpg None of my use is on asphalt or paved roads just gravel and dirt/rock ones made sorta flat it has to have a tilt. Also looking at maybe doing a 8 mile un/improved dirt road.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Excellent craftsmanship. You're going to hate getting a scratch on that work of art.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent craftsmanship. You're going to hate getting a scratch on that work of art.
Thank you! I was just out in the shop to top up the wood stove and i saw there was a greasy fingerprint on it! can't have that :laugh: i used John Deere Paint as rustoleums "lilly pad" green was nowhere close to the OEM color oops! Sadly i took the loader off and the quick hitch on for possible snow over the next few days. Hopefully i can try it out soon!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just spent a long time looking at different types and reviews and Western seems to be stronger but the more I watched it looks like just a blade with hydraulic angle would work the best for me. Then I saw this one!https://www.ksrequipment.com/inventory/v1/Current/Melecio-Attachments/John-Deere-Attachments/John-Deere-Loader-Tractor-Snow-Blade-Trip-Edge/MCO608JD72--Pontiac-Illinois---4434231 and liked it but scared on what the cost would be? I have not found what they want you have to get a quote? Then my email will be filled up with advertisements right now I have one message in my in box from my wife. Maybe some one on here knows what they want for the 72" blade do not want a 96 inch monster on the front I got that on the back and have to watch I don't catch stuff when strait. Most of the time it is angles so not much wider then my rear tires. They won't let me copy a picture of this one or I would post it. Found a picture but I don't need the ends on it. View attachment 663022

Cleveland makes this one for around $2,200.00 delivered but it is not as strong and the whole blade trips not the bottom cutting edge like the JD one. View attachment 663026 None of my use is on asphalt or paved roads just gravel and dirt/rock ones made sorta flat it has to have a tilt. Also looking at maybe doing a 8 mile un/improved dirt road.
That Melecio is a sweet looking blade! I would start sweating thinking about the price of that. I do prefer the cutting edge to trip versus the whole blade itself, Its a lot safer and far less aggressive. I would hardly know if i clipped something in my truck with an edge trip. on the scut 54" blade i hate how the thing folds flat. Maybe an idea for the next project if the lack of snow here stays on trend.

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
That Melecio is a sweet looking blade! I would start sweating thinking about the price of that. I do prefer the cutting edge to trip versus the whole blade itself, Its a lot safer and far less aggressive. I would hardly know if i clipped something in my truck with an edge trip. on the scut 54" blade i hate how the thing folds flat. Maybe an idea for the next project if the lack of snow here stays on trend.
My only problem pushing snow with a front blade has been snagging the cutting edge and boy did it bend my snow pusher and almost throw me out of my seat! I was going slow when it happen or I could have damaged the loader frame! Like I have said before something has to break if it does not give or bend when you have a rolling weight of close to 6,000 lbs! So my cutting edge bent back several inches and buckled the back of the Titan Plate that hooks to the loader. If I had a trip edge it just would have skipped over it and it was only a 6" dia rock froze solid in the ground and about 2" was sticking up. It did pull the rock out of the ground, probley why I did not break my loader frame? I was only going a little over walking speed and was just getting ready to punch it on this driveway. I had lined up to go had not rolled over 10ft when it happen!!! You do NOT have to be going fast to do damage!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts