Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've got a friend with a automotive shop with a waste oil heater. He gives me a 35 gal drum and I put everything oil-based except gasoline, brake fluid, antifreeze in it,
then drop it by his place sometime in January, and get it back shortly thereafter empty. Oil, Hydraulic fluid, diesel (from filter replacements), transmission fluid, etc. It all burns.

·
Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Title says it all. Who takes it? Does it go to places that take motor oil?
Around here (PA) most of the auto parts stores that accept waste oil don't differentiate between the two. My container sometimes has a few gallons that is a mixture of oil types. One time the parts guy wondered by as I was dumping what appeared to be mostly reddish fluid. He asked "Transmission fluid?" I said "Yep.." and kept dumping. :)

Used coolant is the hard stuff to get rid of.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
When I bought the material to do my service at my dealer, I asked if they could/would dispose of the used oil. He said they don't normally do that but would for me that time. I'm due for another change about the end of the year and gonna see if he'll do it again. If not, I'll mix it with my used motor oil and take it back to Autozone. .

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I believe in MN at least, anyone selling oil must accept used oil for recycling.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I take mine to the local transfer station. They have a bunch of tanks so i bring about 35 gallons at a time and dump it in.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I use all of my waste oil to start brush piles on fire. I do use a small amount of hydraulic oil to lubricate things like my hay conveyer.

·
Premium Member
7,521 Posts
I use all of my waste oil to start brush piles on fire. I do use a small amount of hydraulic oil to lubricate things like my hay conveyer.
I might, maybe, sometimes, once upon a time, do the same.

:hide:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Like said above. Look for a waste management transfer station near you. They take all kinds of liquids like oils, paint, etc. Or you can look up petroleum suppliers and they will take it for a fee. Or you can rub it all over yourself and go fight polar bears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,669 Posts
I've got a 5 gallon kerosene (blue) can that I take to Autozone when fullish. I just wave as I walk to the back and dump whatever mix of oil I've got in there in the tank. I've never had anybody even check on me.
You bring up a major complaint I have with most of the auto parts places. I normally go to Advanced Auto because they are close to me. Their waste oil tank is in the back of the store so you have to carry your heavy jug of oil through the store and back the parts isle, which are usually cluttered with ladders, old batteries and boxes of parts waiting to be put away. Then, when you reach the oil tank the area is so filthy that you risk getting oily and dirty just walking past it. I guess it never occurs to them to clean up the area. On my last trip the floor was even oily.

I don't understand why they don't have the oil deposit in the back of the building on the outside. They could still keep it behind the closed gate. I can only imagine the mess if some customer accidentally dumped a few gallons of used oil on their floor.

I use one of the white 5-gallon jugs from Summit Racing. It's very heavy duty, seals well and is easy to handle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
The city nearest me has a recycling center that accepts waste oil, no charge. I'm sure it's no charge because they can sell it to somebody. Other materials they take like yard waste they won't let you drop off unless you can prove you are a city resident (I'm not). I suspect that the yard waste is a net loser, costing something to dispose of it.

·
Premium Member
4,534 Posts
We have a local airport that burns it for heat but I typically take it to my dealer because they heat their shop with it. I have a 55 gallon drum and they either unload it and my salesman drops it off or pump it out when I come in. Once in a while someone will be on Craigslist willing to pay $20-$30 for a drum. A few years ago their was a repair shop on my way to work and I would drop it off in the morning and pick it up coming home.

Being that the poster is in Georgia I don’t know how much demand there is for heat.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,637 Posts
We have a local airport that burns it for heat but I typically take it to my dealer because they heat their shop with it. I have a 55 gallon drum and they either unload it and my salesman drops it off or pump it out when I come in. Once in a while someone will be on Craigslist willing to pay $20-$30 for a drum. A few years ago their was a repair shop on my way to work and I would drop it off in the morning and pick it up coming home.

Being that the poster is in Georgia I don’t know how much demand there is for heat.
I do the same as my dealer heats with it also.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
Like Herminator said, probably not much demand for heat in the south. Up here is another story, most auto/truck garages have waste oil furnaces. You don't have to look very hard to find someone who wants it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I keep a lot of it. I buy a gallon of WD-40 and mix a little with the hydro oil in a spray bottle.
I find it makes a good general purpose lubrication oil.

:greentractorride:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
All of my waste oil goes to the local county waste mgt center. They accept 5 gallons per day, free of charge.
I do the same except they will take whatever you bring.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Many options, most already listed.
1) use it to start/help burn brush piles
2) use it to lube chains on equipment
3) find someone using it for heat
4) use it to "treat" trailer decking
5) take it to a parts place that accepts used oil
6) take it to local land fill / recycling center

1 - 20 of 41 Posts