Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background about my father. He's 74 years old. He's had 7 (yes 7) hip replacements. Has asthma, emphysema, and copd. Let's just say he doesn't get around like he used to. I love my father to pieces, but I'm always a bit surprised when he makes purchases like this. He bought himself a trailer...only $50...couldn't pass up the deal! I'll leave this here...

trailer1.jpg
trailer2.jpg

:gaah:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Not to be critical, but that seller should have paid your dad $50 to take that thing off his hands. There can't be anything salvageable there!

Rob

·
Registered
913 Posts
I give up...how did he get it home?:unknown:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I give up...how did he get it home?:unknown:
It's not home yet. I had to go over there with him so I could get the tires & wheels off. He's going to buy new from Walmart and then I have to put them on, hook it up to my truck (that's after I cut the lock off the hitch because there's not key), and pull it to his house so "he" can work on it as a project. I already see how this project is going to progress. And why in the h-e-double-toothpicks is there a lock on this POS anyways!!! OMG Pops...sometimes a good deal is not a good deal.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
:flag_of_truce: I understand, my FIL does the same thing.

He has a 12 x 24 shed stuffed to the gills of "GOOD STUFF" that was such a deal somebody will certainly pay him more than he paid for it....

except he forgets whats out there....

and the feral cats have had access to it through the broken door for the last 10 years.....

and the highly engineered support pillar of dry stacked concrete block on the back sandy corner collapsed a few years ago and i would be afraid climbing through there would cause a weight shift that would create a landslide in the shed.....

and he never wants to sell any of this or any other "GOOD STUFF" he can actually lay his hands on anyway! :lol:

So I figure it will cost us effort &/or money when we settle the estate and have to haul it to the dump!!

Is that a pic of the trailer before it got to your Dad's place? If not I think he planted the wheels in the mud hoping it would take root and grow a new bed. :munch:

edit...never mind i see you hadn't dragged it home yet!! And i ruined a keyboard over this thing being locked up!!!

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
When this trailer project is successfully completed, think of all the future projects he will be able to put on it to tow home.:laugh:

I can just imagine, "Son, I need your truck again this weekend. And could you come along too. I'll need some help loading.":banghead:

·
Registered
715 Posts
There is a simple solution to this, count the $50 as loss and simply never return to the seller house to retrieve the trailer. Believe me when I say, he will have far more into that trailer in parts than he can buy a GOOD used (or even new for that matter) for.
"Trailer" - $50
2 new wheels and tires - $150
2 sheets 3/4 PT plywood - $75
Lights and wiring - $50
Story to tell your children when you get old - priceless

New comparable trailer from Lowe's - $400-$600

Al

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
"Trailer" - $50
Lights and wiring - $50

Al
Not quite, Al...

That's a ultra-light-weight 2-place snowmobile trailer. Them things are worth beau coup :gizmo: !!! :lolol:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
"Trailer" - $50
Lights and wiring - $50

Al
Paint? Wheel bearings?

I resurrected a trailer and once, never again...

As for the story, THAT is worth something!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
winers abou the trailer

to all the people that are wining about the 74 year old and his prize trailer...Be Glad he is still alive and good enough health to want to tackle any project...it is worth a hell of a lot more than 50.00 to see him active and enjoying doing something, rather than being a couch potato as some of you probably are...Take it from another 74 year old that has worked 7 days a week all his life since being 10 years old, that it is better to be a little slow and still running than stopped and dying.....quit your *****ing and figure out how you could be with him for a little more time.....he won't be around forever.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
to all the people that are wining about the 74 year old and his prize trailer...Be Glad he is still alive and good enough health to want to tackle any project...it is worth a hell of a lot more than 50.00 to see him active and enjoying doing something, rather than being a couch potato as some of you probably are...Take it from another 74 year old that has worked 7 days a week all his life since being 10 years old, that it is better to be a little slow and still running than stopped and dying.....quit your *****ing and figure out how you could be with him for a little more time.....he won't be around forever.

Amen!!!!!

He is younger than I am and I am always working on projects. It seems most of them are for my neighbor, however. My own current project is rehabbing a 10ft brush hog that is now done except for ordering a new pto shaft with slip clutch. Tomorrow morning early before it gets hot (95 tomorrow), I am headed for another neighbor just south of me to drill some post holes, so I will have to drop the 110 inch finish mower, take off the iMatch and put on the PHD. Why can't they make PHD's easier to attach????? Never stop, death might catch up to you...................

Dave

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Hey Franklin, NH!
Love your old down town and your old railroad trestle!
Be coming through going to in laws in Hill next week.:good2:

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Something to look forward to

Amen!!!!!

He is younger than I am and I am always working on projects. It seems most of them are for my neighbor, however. My own current project is rehabbing a 10ft brush hog that is now done except for ordering a new pto shaft with slip clutch. Tomorrow morning early before it gets hot (95 tomorrow), I am headed for another neighbor just south of me to drill some post holes, so I will have to drop the 110 inch finish mower, take off the iMatch and put on the PHD. Why can't they make PHD's easier to attach????? Never stop, death might catch up to you...................

Dave
You are an inspiration. I'm younger than both of you and hoping to stay active until well, I just keel over and be done. I don't know when that will be, grandparents were nudging 100, Dad died at 67 which I can see really well.

I hate the idea of not doing stuff. I'm certainly slower than I used to be and things hurt that didn't used to hurt but sofas are for naps after getting stuff done!

Treefarmer

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I think I looked at it a little different than you. I took it as he's more a collector of things that don't really move on from how he got them. If he wants a little trailer project to work on more power to him. He's got enough health problems, sounds like this could be a good project, not real physical, can work on it at his own pace, etc..

I think we were more lead to believe it's going to get home and sit next to his shed full of "good deals". Which reminds me I need to buy more heavier hard to move items so the boys have something to remember me by after they plant me.:mocking:

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
You are an inspiration. I'm younger than both of you and hoping to stay active until well, I just keel over and be done. I don't know when that will be, grandparents were nudging 100, Dad died at 67 which I can see really well.

I hate the idea of not doing stuff. I'm certainly slower than I used to be and things hurt that didn't used to hurt but sofas are for naps after getting stuff done!

Treefarmer

My philosophy since I retired is to do one thing each day and take the rest of the day off. However, it seems that sometimes these things take all day!!!! Nap time seems to fit in there somewhere. Been outside working all day today, except time out for lunch and a trip to town to get some things for what I was doing outside. (93 today) Done now. First time on the computer all day.

Dave

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not *****ing that he wants to work on a project at all. I agree with you 100%. I went over Friday night and got new wheels/tires on it for him and towed it home. My Mother saw it and started rolling her eyes and said "I don't know why your Father buys all this junk!" I explained to her your exact sentiments. I said..."I'd rather see him outside working on a project that sitting in the house on his ass rotting." So was I a little frustrated? Sure. However I'm glad he's working on something and keeping himself busy.

On a side note, after getting it home and doing a little more inspection of the trailer itself, it's in worse shape that it looks. Part of the frame is rotted and it going to need to be cut and welded. Already spoke to my FIL who will come over with his welder and give us a hand since neither Dad nor I have a welder. So after he removes the the rotted wood, I'll head back over and see what we can fabricate. I'm sure it won't be pretty, but hopefully we can make it sound, secure, and safe for use. I've also got a set of new trailer lights and wiring in the works for him.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts