Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not blame the "finance committee" for shooting down my request for approval for yet another toy. She is right. There is a muscle car and fancy SUV, and a huge amount of power tools, etc. etc. etc which only I use :) I have enough toys. Except I do woodworking for fun using huge white oak slabs I have sawyered and used a rented tractor last time to stack. And I am still grading parts of my property and doing lots of landscaping on weekends. Really would love to have a front loader and the ability to add forks. Blowing $600 for 8 hours of tractor rental and having to pass a test every time (in MA you need a commercial front loader license or pass a hobbyist test to rent one) does not make sense to me.

So I was thinking, are there any older JDs that are fairly popular, can lift 500-600lb with forks, can handle some pushing dirt around with a front bucket, and could be fixed by someone who is an OK backyard mechanic (if there is a youtube video or forum post how to fix something, I can learn and do it fairly well).

Could I get something like it with say $5K or below budget?

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
15,118 Posts
I do not blame the "finance committee" for shooting down my request for approval for yet another toy. She is right. There is a muscle car and fancy SUV, and a huge amount of power tools, etc. etc. etc which only I use :) I have enough toys.
Then, why do your want another toy? :rolleyes:

Except I do woodworking for fun using huge white oak slabs I have sawyered and used a rented tractor last time to stack. And I am still grading parts of my property and doing lots of landscaping on weekends. Really would love to have a front loader and the ability to add forks. Blowing $600 for 8 hours of tractor rental and having to pass a test every time (in MA you need a commercial front loader license or pass a hobbyist test to rent one) does not make sense to me.
Seems you have lots of time(and $$) on your hands, but the "Finance Committee" has control. ;)

So I was thinking, are there any older JDs that are fairly popular, can lift 500-600lb with forks, can handle some pushing dirt around with a front bucket, and could be fixed by someone who is an OK backyard mechanic (if there is a youtube video or forum post how to fix something, I can learn and do it fairly well).
I'm sure there are.
Ask the "Finance Committee" if that's possible. :unsure:

You've been shut down earlier. Take it as it is and deal with what you have. :whistle:

Could I get something like it with say $5K or below budget?
I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Lots of great older machines worth buying, from all makes. For 5K, with a loader? Gonna be one heck of a find, or just plain had the brakes beat off of it.
The used tractor market right now, is just like every other thing that has a price....It's jacked.

In your price range, I'd start by looking at Kubota B7100's. (Great tractors by the way, just older)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well... most of my "toys" have paid for themselves (except for cars... naturally). I worked nights and weekends and remodeled our house down to studs. Was getting quotes $500K+ for the work (stuff is expensive in MA). Did all the work myself over 5 years for 1/4th that. So now a fixer is a modern home. That is how I amassed all the power tools.
Landscaping work is very expensive around here. Contractors are fully booked, so they are able to charge a premium. I respect that. That all said, I still have a ton of landscaping to do, now that house is done, and I am looking for ways to do it faster. I think the "finance committee" looks at $14K+ price tag and has a reaction maybe I would have if she wanted something for that. She is very supportive with my shenanigans, cause most of the time they cost net zero. This one will not.
Plus I have X330 for mowing and snow blowing. To her, that is a tractor.
Anyway... maybe I will need to go back to renting. It just adds up and I usually can't dedicate 8 hours to outside project. Bother of us work full time plus kids, you know.

Regardless. I guess there aren't options. I saw some older Kubotas and Fords on FB... but that $6K for early 90s tractor makes me suspicious

·
Super Moderator
6,099 Posts
Under $5K is rough. There is a guy in Lancaster that has a 650 up for sale on Craigslist for just under $5K but it doesn't have a loader (just a belly mower). Finding a loader to fit it will take forever.

There is a guy up in North Andover that advertises his Yanmar tractor with loader on a recurring basis. I don't see an ad up anywhere right now but as I recall he's right in ion the $4K range and it looked like it's in pretty decent shape. It isn't a Deere but...

·
Registered
173 Posts
A lot of people in this community keep their tractors for a very long time. In my eyes, it's worth the investment for a new tractor if you plan to do the same.

I think it's worth it to take advantage of the Deere 0% financing for 72 months. Some dealers will give you 84 months, but Deere is advertising 72 month financing right now. If you're out the door at $20k, that's $278/month for 6 years for a tractor you can keep for a long time.

Also, with a new tractor you'll have a full warranty on the tractor and attachments (mower deck, loader, etc) and you won't have to inherit other people's problems in a used machine.

I know the "Finance Committee" declined your offer, but maybe the 0% financing will help soften the blow as well as not having to repair a used older tractor with potentially many problems. Repairs add up quick.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
If you haven’t, I’d get her engaged in doing some heavy work, sweat worthy, for a week or so, it might change her thinking, this idea is based on the fact that you said that “you” have done all of this work, JMO.

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,304 Posts
Not green and I know nothing about it or the seller, but its a tractor with loader for ~5k...

This is not an endorsement and it looks pretty beat, I'd guess you'd be better spending your cash on a good condition 1023E... But you asked and I saw it..

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Who come's to a forum to complain about their wife? Either take off the skirt and put the pants on or get a new wife.
That’s pretty funny, but I bet right now, you are wearing an apron and doing your list of chores that she left you while she is in town getting her nails done😂😂😂😂

·
Premium Member
5,096 Posts
Take that 5K and get her something she wants then go to the dealer and sign those papers. With the wait times nowadays you better get to it or youll miss out all summer

·
Registered
26 Posts
No chance in hell.
I was able to maintain my own household before married, don't need someone to take care of or tell me how to do it. There is a huge difference of wants and needs, which has to be understood. That being said though you have to give a little to get a little. But never under any circumstance give up alpha.
You're a man be one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
How about upgrading the x to the 1series and talk about how much money you will save on landscaping? I got a quote for $30k to basically regrade, apply topsoil when we moved to our current place . Buying a 2305 instead was an easy financial decision.

·
Registered
721 Posts
IMO, you are making a very serious tactical error by referring to your tools as toys. Just because you love working with them doesn’t make them toys. you mentioned the improvements that you nave made to the house, and the 6 figure cost savings. had you paid somebody to do the work, they would have used the same kind of tools that you have accumulated, and part of what you pay them would be to cover the cost of those tools.

the muscle car, perhaps is an indulgent toy. a tractor, absolutely not! and based on your brief description of what you have done to your house, you have earned both-go sign the papers and get to work!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I live in Worcester county and see what you are looking for frequently on Craigslist but they are only there for a couple of days. I like the 650 that JimR pointed out, John Deere 650 2WD 60" mid mower 1888 hrs Belly mower. Nice... but agree on the loader. There was an 855 for a couple of weeks but it's gone now. Sell the muscle car and buy what you need. We have 2 1/2" acres and I have done more projects in 8 years with our 2520 than the previous 30 with a smaller Gravely lawn tractor. The work you get done with the forks alone is worth it.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts