Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
@agurkas I bought a 20+ yo 4300 JD, albeit in Australia, but as a comparison, I bought a large frame tractor with FEL for less than what I sold my 2305 SCUT and kept all my attachments. It's easy to work on, because most problems have been fixed on here by smarter guys than me, and I've been given the heads-up on problems to keep an eye on before they occur. JD parts online is an amazing resource for looking up bits and bobs to pimp your ride and a lot of the USA dealers list the prices. You get what you pay for (sometimes you luck upon a killer deal) and while Yanmars, Ford, New Holland and Kubota are all great tractors, they really don't run like a Deere.
I agree with @Manomet, sell some toys to get a better one. If you get a 2305 or a 2320 with a 62" mid-mount mower, you can replace the X300. And once you get a quality tractor like that, you'll never drive the sports car and want some extra cash for some pallet forks, a 3rd function and grapple and all the other attachments we drool over...

And welcome to GTT

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Don't forget to factor in what a tractor can save you! If you ever got injured moving parts, tools and materials, Your hospital bill could cost more than a tractor plus loss of work income.
Saving wear on your body can improve your quality of life later on as well.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I think we need to know what it is, and see pics of said muscle car, before we tell the gent to sell it.

·
Registered
2020 1025R
165 Posts
I think we need to know what it is, and see pics of said muscle car, before we tell the gent to sell it.
I did just that. My former daily driver was a Charger Scatpack. I sold it to make room in the garage, but given the current market I was able to sell a 4 year old car with 30k miles for almost as much as I paid for it new. Also, even with 500hp it was nowhere near as fast as the Tesla and I felt kinda guilty looking at it sitting there mostly unused. Personally, if I had a choice between busting my keister all summer doing yard work or buying a machine to take a lot of the sting out of it, I'd sell the car 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. And if it's a valuable car, maybe no "papers" are required. Just stroke a check and move on with life.

Best,

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I worked on my finance officer for several months. Finally made a deal that I could get a 1025r after my truck was paid off. One year later I was at the dealer buying it. Don't throw in the towel yet. Slow and steady wins the race.

·
Registered
2020 1025R
165 Posts
Dude. Remember this.

It's easier to ask for Forgiveness, than to ask for Permission. (y)

Go buy what you want. :)
I suspect an experienced divorce lawyer might take issue with that claim. :)

To be honest, I have never understood the concept of borrowing money to buy anything that I didn't really need. With the exception of my home, if I can't just pay cash for something, I don't buy it. For a lot of people, that type of discipline could be the difference between an easy retirement or being stuck with 3 squares of Friskies in your later years. Play the long game. :)

Best,

·
Registered
22 Posts
I suspect an experienced divorce lawyer might take issue with that claim. :)

To be honest, I have never understood the concept of borrowing money to buy anything that I didn't really need. With the exception of my home, if I can't just pay cash for something, I don't buy it. For a lot of people, that type of discipline could be the difference between an easy retirement or being stuck with 3 squares of Friskies in your later years. Play the long game. :)

Best,
You get cash discounts at your John Deere dealer?

·
Registered
2020 1025R
165 Posts
You get cash discounts at your John Deere dealer?
I've only made one purchase there to date, but yes. :) It wasn't called a "cash discount," but it was 5-10% below MSRP. In this environment, it seemed like a good deal to me. See the aforementioned comment about busting one's keister. :)

Best,

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've only made one purchase there to date, but yes. :) It wasn't called a "cash discount," but it was 5-10% below MSRP. In this environment, it seemed like a good deal to me. See the aforementioned comment about busting one's keister. :)

Best,
Interesting. Regardless of dealer, my x738, 1025r and z730m were the same price whether I paid cash or used their zero % financing.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I agree with the others, it sounds like you need one. That said it might not be the right time to buy one. I never made a big purchase without my wife being on board. She was kind of reluctant on the tractor purchase at first but she didn’t complain to much when I upgraded to a JD.

·
Registered
865 Posts
When we bought our home, we had a pretty open budget and paid a landscape service $25k to beautify our property. In hindsight, that money would have bought a new tractor, attachments and all the planting materials. Since then, I bought my 1026R with fel and 60" deck and have used it a lot. We have 4 acres of lawn on 6 acres of property. We also have a classic roadster and motorcycle. Guess what gets used the most.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good on you for getting your house done. I've been at it for 20 years and still have exposed studs in some places. My wife is a true saint! Anyway, I too have a "muscle car" and have been thinking about selling it so I can put my tractor in the garage:) I wish I had bought the tractor when I got the house because I now have few herniated discs that could have been avoided by having some hydraulics around. I also live in one of the most expensive labor markets in the country and the landscaping projects alone will pay for my tractor. I don't know how old you are, but the body doesn't go forever and I now see the tractor as an extension of myself. It allows me to do things that I did when I was a twenty something that would otherwise be impossible now. You have to consider that angle. I really wish I had this machine when I was younger!!! Oh, and my "city girl" has become quite the landscape artist. Trees, shrubs, gardens, they are all a pleasure because she just points, and a few minutes later there is hole in the ground for her new whatever. I don't even mind if she wants me to move something we planted last year. It only takes a few minutes and I don't even break a sweat. Good luck!

21 - 40 of 85 Posts