Green Tractor Talk banner
81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am in Southern NH and see many good used tractors on Craigslist in NH. Their often are John Deere 650, 750, 850 and 790s along with Fords in the 1000 series. The John Deere’s usually are listed with FEL. I am a bit Leary of the Ford 1000 series stuff they look a bit flimsy to me. Also their have been many Kubota but I don’t know their model numbers. I got my John Deere 790 from Craigslist back in 2006 and two antique Oliver 550 from Craigslist. All still in use today. Also got a good deal on a John Deere X748 with snowblower. I would recommend you watch Craigslist and expand you area to 150 miles and you may find something in your budget. United Ag and Turf bought out most of the John Deere dealers in the area and they seldom have much available as used. Chappell Tractor in Milford NH does carry used both John Deere and Kubota. They are a Kubota dealer and are very good people even though they sell the wrong color machines. Good luck finding a tractor.
Ollie

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I do not blame the "finance committee" for shooting down my request for approval for yet another toy. She is right. There is a muscle car and fancy SUV, and a huge amount of power tools, etc. etc. etc which only I use :) I have enough toys. Except I do woodworking for fun using huge white oak slabs I have sawyered and used a rented tractor last time to stack. And I am still grading parts of my property and doing lots of landscaping on weekends. Really would love to have a front loader and the ability to add forks. Blowing $600 for 8 hours of tractor rental and having to pass a test every time (in MA you need a commercial front loader license or pass a hobbyist test to rent one) does not make sense to me.

So I was thinking, are there any older JDs that are fairly popular, can lift 500-600lb with forks, can handle some pushing dirt around with a front bucket, and could be fixed by someone who is an OK backyard mechanic (if there is a youtube video or forum post how to fix something, I can learn and do it fairly well).

Could I get something like it with say $5K or below budget?
Sounds like you need to hire a new finance committee, old one is broken you will get your moneys worth outa the tractor and then some. There are lots of older ones out there for sale but good ones are not cheap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Remember that the "new" wears off.
NEVER call it a toy. It's an indispensable tool that gets used almost on a weekly basis. If my health insurance company knew how much money they've saved by me buying "our" 1025, they probably would've chipped in on the payments. LOL
Two best quotes I have from this thread. SO well put. We were VERY lucky finding a 1025r with Bucket (sorry...FEL?) and Backhoe for $16K with 65Hr on the clock. :love: Paint wasn't even off the bucket teeth. My lovely wife saw the value, and we got it. I had little idea of how much it can do.

I have damaged L1 and L3 in my back, but STILL dont 'know' it until I hurt, and its too late. I am still a big kid in my head. The tractor has SAVED my back in the short time I have had it now. Still learning SO many things here on the forum. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Two best quotes I have from this thread. SO well put. We were VERY lucky finding a 1025r with Bucket (sorry...FEL?) and Backhoe
Glad to hear the tractor is working well for you!

FEL = Front End Loader

So, your bucket attaches to the FEL.

You mentioned you have teeth on the bucket. Do you have a toothbar? I've been considering the Heavy Hitch one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Glad to hear the tractor is working well for you!

FEL = Front End Loader

So, your bucket attaches to the FEL.

You mentioned you have teeth on the bucket. Do you have a toothbar? I've been considering the Heavy Hitch one.
Gotcha. I misspoke... I have yet to remove the bucket from the FEL and still think of them as one part. Learning more about attachments and parts here on the forum. Expensive hobby... LOL

The bucket on my FEL has no teeth. I was referring to the teeth on the backhoe bucket. The cutting edge on the FEL bucket still had 90%+ of its green paint, but I have gotten most of that off by now working with it, the backhoe bucket teeth likewise. 👍

81 - 85 of 85 Posts