Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't recall what I was watching on the boob tube the other day, but there was a commercial by Black & Decker & in the ad they gave a quick shot of a Craftsman plastic tool case along with a DeWalt surface planer in the background as well as a cheapo Black & Decker drill. So I assume B&D is doing Craftsman now.

And it looks like Lowes has completely thrown Kobolt under the bus. Buy I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at Lowes corporate when this negotiation was being hammered out. Can you just imagine all the back stabbing, payoffs, free executive vacations & endless high $$$$$ lunches & dinners & secret gifts that Craftsman's corporate owner sank into this deal. I wonder how long this marriage will last???

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
:dunno: Not sure but I know the 2 closes Lowe’s to us are closing. Guess I should try to exchange a couple broken ratchets I have before they leave.

·
Super Moderator
4,760 Posts
There is already a long thread on the whole Craftsman thing on here somewhere but Black & Decker, DeWalt and now Craftsman are all owned by the Stanley Works (along with numerous other tool brands). Lowe's pretty much carries every brand that Stanley makes.

And it isn't really all that surprising that Lowe's is carrying Craftsman. Lowe's tried to buy the Craftsman brand themselves about 10-12 years ago. Sears wouldn't sell at that time so Lowe's came out with Kobalt to compete directly against Craftsman.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is already a long thread on the whole Craftsman thing on here somewhere but Black & Decker, DeWalt and now Craftsman are all owned by the Stanley Works (along with numerous other tool brands). Lowe's pretty much carries every brand that Stanley makes.

And it isn't really all that surprising that Lowe's is carrying Craftsman. Lowe's tried to buy the Craftsman brand themselves about 10-12 years ago. Sears wouldn't sell at that time so Lowe's came out with Kobalt to compete directly against Craftsman.
I have never purchased any Kobolt branded items from Lowes. Mainly because I have never seen any real value or quality in their items, but they spend an awful lot of money on their packaging to suck you in. But if you feel the plastic box & wrench holder for your silly slatwall tool display is of major importance, then go for it. And the last thing I ever got from Craftsman was a 3/8" drill...years ago & long gone to the county dump. Names today are meaningless & no company (or so it seems) cares about quality, just sell it & then sell it again when it breaks, and then sell it again because there is no such thing any longer as quality or choice as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I was given a Kobolt lineman's pliers for Christmas last year. I broke a handle off cutting an 8 ga wire with my bare hand. That's a no for me, I ain't that strong.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I haven’t bought any craftsman tools since they quit making them in the good old USA. Stanley says they are going to bring production back to the states but so far I haven’t seen and told with Made I’m the USA cast into them.

I’m at a loss for tools. I like good quality tools something craftsman stopped making long ago.

Would love snap on or make but I just don’t have those kinda funds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
isn't it funny that now that Sear's tools is showing up in Lowe's stores. that some of their stores is shutting down.

seems kinda like the K-mart and Sears thingee all over again. K-mart supposedly bought Sears out, which i have never figured that one out as of yet. our K-mart here before that deal went thru, had pretty much stuff sitting in the aisles, not put away, and the inside was looking rough, and then they came up with enough money to buy Sears out:unknown:

my old buddy from my trucking days , had told me last night on the phone, that he had shopped at the one Lowes nearest him, cause it was being closed. they told him, their sales was too low, so out of the 3 stores, it got the axe..:unknown:

Kobalt had been produced in Vietnam-at least that is what my cousin who is a forecaster for her company called Apex--i think that is who she is working for:dunno:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,151 Posts
One has to wonder what is going to happen to the Kobalt lifetime, no questions asked guarantee Lowes carried.

Had to fight tooth and nail to get Lowes to replace two Kobalt wood clamps (pistol grip types).

After 2 kind of feisty Emails to cooperate, I got them replaced along with an apology from store manager.

Still doesn't set right with me that I had to go thru all that for two stupid clamps.

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
All this talk about Craftsman, Dewalt, Kobalt etc. tools - I feel the same that they are all in the same boat now as far as quality. That's why I just automatically go to Harbor Freight now. I have no great expectations from their tools - if they break I throw them away and will buy another. But they have been really upping their game the past few years - they probably saw all this stuff coming as far as the buy outs and consolidations of the tool manufacturers. An example are their tool chests - a lot of people here are very happy with their HF boxes.

Now I like the feel of a high quality tool in my hand also. But I am only doing minor repairs on vehicles now and just some DIY stuff around the house. The HF stuff is fine for me.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Kobalt is owned by lowes, so they are pretty much just moving kobalt over to make room for the new craftsman.

Craftsman is moving production back to the US. it's slow, but it's happening. The new US made boxes are very nice, way better than kobalt. You can follow the US craftsman kerfuffle here;
Where Are CRAFTSMAN® Tools Made? | Tools Made in USA w/ Global Materials

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Now that Stanley owns them, I cant say for sure where they are made. The link above
Before that, they were made by Apex Tool Group, who also makes Armstrong and Gearwrench.
At that time, I spoke to a corporate rep about Craftsman vs the others. He said that while they do make them, they make them to Craftsmans specs/standards, and that some tools may appear similar to Gearwrench or Armstrong, or a number of other brands they make, they are not the same tool with a different name. They make a different alloy for those tools, and it was implied that Craftsman builds more to a pricepoint than they used to, and that they were actually one of the cheaper tools made today, nowhere near what they used to be.

Now, before that, they were made by another company, and before that they were made by Stanley. The Stanley made tools are generally thought of as the best quality.
Will they return to that? Who knows, but I doubt it.

These days when I want a tool that I know will last, Ill go with Snap-On and buy used (no longer willing to pay new price). Ive already got most stuff Ill ever want, so its not all that hard, and only ratchets now will need replaced as most of my current stock is Craftsman.
For tools that I dont much care about, Ill look at Harbor Freight, but quite often I can find something of better quality for about the same or not much more money.
But Im not using anything from them that might cost me a busted knuckle, or worse.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
A couple months back I spoke to the department manager at my local Lowes. He told me that Lowes has no intention of dropping the Kobalt brand. Personally, I hope the don't. I have a number of Kobalt tools and although they aren't top quality like Snap-On or Mac Tools, they have been serving me well. I think they are far from being disposable tools like Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
About 30 years ago my family business sold a large hydraulic forging press with an induction heating unit and automated handling to Easco Company. They were making Craftsman back then.

·
Super Moderator
4,760 Posts
I have never purchased any Kobolt branded items from Lowes. Mainly because I have never seen any real value or quality in their items, but they spend an awful lot of money on their packaging to suck you in. But if you feel the plastic box & wrench holder for your silly slatwall tool display is of major importance, then go for it. And the last thing I ever got from Craftsman was a 3/8" drill...years ago & long gone to the county dump. Names today are meaningless & no company (or so it seems) cares about quality, just sell it & then sell it again when it breaks, and then sell it again because there is no such thing any longer as quality or choice as far as I can tell.
You may dislike Lowe's packaging but they know who they are selling to. You have to keep in mind that Lowe's isn't targeting professional mechanics. They aren't even really targeting their contractors (Home Depot gets lots more contractors as customers than Lowe's does.). People buying tools at Lowe's are generally home owners who are looking for cheap. The pretty plastic packaging appeals to women that come in to buy tools to gift to the men in their lives. You can complain about that if it makes you feel better but they aren't going to change to gain an handful of customers and risk losing thousands of others.

And from personal experience, the Kobalt tools are every bit the equal to the Craftsman stuff that Sears has been selling for the last decades or two. You may not be impressed with that but that was their goal and they met it. No one at Lowe's corporate expects to compete with Snap On, Matco, etc.. on socket sets, wrenches and other hand tools.

As far as other comments about Lowe's and the warranty on Kobalt tools, all I can say is that when I worked there, I swapped out any broken tool no questions asked. Some times the store didn't have the exact socket or wrench that the person came in with but we always found something they were happy with as a replacement. Were there some people that balked at the no questions asked idea? Sure. I never really understood it because every single store has a person that does nothing but get the store credit for returned broken items. Lowe's calls it their "RTM" person. RTM = "Return to Manufacturer". In the store I worked at he had a 55 drum outside his office door out back at the loading docks. I'd drop in the broken tool and the next day he'd dig it out of the barrel, put it into his computer system and 3 or 4 days later the store got their credit. The broken tools were usually tossed into the dumpster. No Lowe's store loses any money by exchanging broken Kobalt tools. If the actual people working in those stores would think about it, it's a no brainer. That said, I met a lot of people when I worked there that didn't have any brains to begin with.

I would *think* they'd to the exact same thing with Craftsman products but that all depends on what their contract with Stanley has to say.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
My kobalt 32mm socket is used on the air impact all the time, and i can safely say it has had the sh!t beat out out of it. it's taken a lot of impact and it's held up pretty well. I have a few kobalts and they pretty much always do what I need them to do.

As a point of reference, i also have over 400 Taiwan made craftsman tools. I have only had an issue with 2 of them. Everything else has been solid.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
About 30 years ago my family business sold a large hydraulic forging press with an induction heating unit and automated handling to Easco Company. They were making Craftsman back then.
I still have some Easco wrenches dating back to 1980 or so. They were identical to my Craftsman wrenches from the same era - just a different name stamped in them. I don't remember Easco being sold in stores back then. I think I got my wrenches because I worked for a company that made abrasive products. We used to attend a lot of trade shows so one of us probably traded some sandpaper for some wrenches. :laugh:

·
Registered
697 Posts

Oh, many do.

I've had a dozen double-U Tee Eff's when I told various people about my $260 drill bit set (30 bits). I posted that drill bit set on GTT, actually. If you adjust that price for inflation, it's right in line for what you paid for "back in the day" for quality bits.

People need to stop wanting '65 prices with 2018 money. I suspect that may be your issue here. Selection has never been greater. I love having a bunch of wrenches with various fix offsets, for various situations. I might use each one maybe once every year. I love that I picked them up cheap, seeing as they get so little use. On the other hand, I drill something every other day it seems, so I finally invested in quality bits. It already paid itself back with the first job.

Hint: If you're picking up your Dewalt drill at Lowe's, you're not buying a quality tool. (Bonus hint: You should be spending a week's salary on it.)

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
You'll end up seeing a number of the same items being made by Craftsman by SBD and Craftsman by Sears. It had something to do with the licensing and acquisition. That being said SBD purchased Craftsman's (any many others) toolbox manufacturer before acquiring them. This left them and many others with the option to get on the train or go find another one. SBD does play games when it comes to acquiring an asset.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Lowe’s has a new CEO and a new strategy to combat Home Depot. Reduce inventory, reduce sku’s carried, and reduce stores. It is what worked so well for him at JC Penny.

I went in Two months ago to get deadbolts for the new house.i was getting ones with a square decorative panel in bronze. I needed 6 they had three in stock. I ask the hardware person to check. She said they used to have about 2 boxes of every lovkset (10) but now only keep a handful of each but it’s not a problem she can have the rest shipped to the house.

I had gone to Lowe’s for the convieniece of doing it now. So I said no thanks and ordered all of the from Amazon with free shipping at $2 bucks a lockset cheaper. I checked when writing this and they seem to have 7 of everything so they be adjusting.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts