Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've decided I'm going to add a soft cab for this winter. A hard cab is not in the budget and I want something I can take off in summer since I still have ROPS clearance issues with several trees and shrubs. I've pretty much settled on the OTC with safety glass windshield and electric wiper but I recently stumbled on the web site for Cover my tractor that appears to also offer soft cabs but the web site is pretty cryptic and just one stock photo for all Deere tractors. Anyone have experience with any options other than OTC. I also want to hear the good and bad from current OTC owners.

One thing I am curious about with the OTC is, does it fit under the "standard" 7' garage door? It appears to sit below the ROPS so I'm wondering if I lower the ROPS will I be able to pull the tractor in the garage with the OTC cab in place? I normally keep my tractor in a detached carport with a 12' door so there's no clearance issues there but when a blizzard is forecast it would be nice to have the snow removal equipment in the garage.

I posted here because I'd kind of like this to be 1 series specific but if the mods choose to move this, so be it.

Thanks in advance.
: Dan

·
Registered
352 Posts
I bought an OTC soft cab for my 1025, last fall, and plowed snow all winter with it on ...
The cabs are well designed, and made ... For the price, I couldn’t be happier. Off hand, I can’t think of anything to criticize about the OTC cab.
If you chose one for your tractor, I’m sure you’ll be satisfied with it.
As for your question about garage door clearance I can’t help you since my tractor lives in the barn with high doors.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Not a big fan of the OTC because the bottom of the windshield plastic housing is too close to the steering wheel and it has a very sharp edge. I had to use a dremel tool and shave away a lot of the plastic. After a couple of years I actually cut away the plastic and also the metal cross member to allow for more clearance for my hands. Also, the right door is super close to the SCV joystick and my hand kept hitting the door resulting in unsafe loader function. I had to put a severe bend in the door to bow it out so my hand would not always hit the door.

Reactions: Toughsox and DanW

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a big fan of the OTC because the bottom of the windshield plastic housing is too close to the steering wheel and it has a very sharp edge. I had to use a dremel tool and shave away a lot of the plastic. After a couple of years I actually cut away the plastic and also the metal cross member to allow for more clearance for my hands. Also, the right door is super close to the SCV joystick and my hand kept hitting the door resulting in unsafe loader function. I had to put a severe bend in the door to bow it out so my hand would not always hit the door.
Thanks for the input. Just curious, do you have the safety glass windshield?

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
226 Posts
It really depends on if u have a 1023 or 1025/26.
I have the OTC on my 1025, absolutely no issues with steering wheel obstruction with tilt steering. I also have no issue with joystick, it’s close but no problem and I have large hands. If u do have an issue u can easily rotate the joystick slightly. As far as headroom on a 7’ door , no issue as long as u don’t mount anything on the cab roof. For the money u can’t beat the OTC cab. Sure it’s not a completely tight cab, but even in 15 below temps and blowing winds in Wi. I didn’t need gloves or coat. I do wear a flannel shirt or light sweat shirt When it’s below 0 degrees out. I do have the small electric heater, it does help. Have not found the need for the windshield wiper. I have no issues with the upgraded glass windshield frosting up. I take the OTC cab off in one piece . No disassembly. I use a rope and pulley to lift it up then back up the tractor from under the cab. I store the cab on a wood skid, I have small caster wheels on skid so I can move It easily during the summer If needed.
hope this helps

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It really depends on if u have a 1023 or 1025/26.
I have the OTC on my 1025, absolutely no issues with steering wheel obstruction with tilt steering. I also have no issue with joystick, it’s close but no problem and I have large hands. If u do have an issue u can easily rotate the joystick slightly. As far as headroom on a 7’ door , no issue as long as u don’t mount anything on the cab roof. For the money u can’t beat the OTC cab. Sure it’s not a completely tight cab, but even in 15 below temps and blowing winds in Wi. I didn’t need gloves or coat. I do wear a flannel shirt or light sweat shirt When it’s below 0 degrees out. I do have the small electric heater, it does help. Have not found the need for the windshield wiper. I have no issues with the upgraded glass windshield frosting up. I take the OTC cab off in one piece . No disassembly. I use a rope and pulley to lift it up then back up the tractor from under the cab. I store the cab on a wood skid, I have small caster wheels on skid so I can move It easily during the summer If needed.
hope this helps
I have a 1023E so no tilt steering. I do now recall reading somewhere else about the steering wheel and window frame being a concern. Unless I can find a better alternative I'll just have to hope using a spinner on the steering wheel helps with that problem.

Appreciate the door clearance feedback. Good to hear. I do plan to mount some lights and maybe a backup camera on the roof but they'll be on the front and back, not the top. Obviously I'll verify clearance before mounting anything. Any bets on how long it takes me to forget to lower the ROPS?

I'm also adding a snowblower to the arsenal for this winter. Based on past experiences with a walk behind I suspect using that is when I'll need the wiper.

I have a nice tall carport and a winch that I plan to use to lift the cab off and on as the season requires. I'll probably make up some sort of dolly to roll it into the shed for storage.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had the same issue. All that is needed is to adjust the joy stick a little bit. Super easy to do.

Steve

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a 1023. The only thing I find is the front lower panel and side panels obstruct the view close to the tractor front end.
a bit hard to pick things up with my grapple or forks. Also plowing with the FEL bucket close to curbs can be a bit hard to see properly.

Out side of that I love mine. Glass with wiper.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So I've decided I'm going to add a soft cab for this winter. A hard cab is not in the budget and I want something I can take off in summer since I still have ROPS clearance issues with several trees and shrubs. I've pretty much settled on the OTC with safety glass windshield and electric wiper but I recently stumbled on the web site for Cover my tractor that appears to also offer soft cabs but the web site is pretty cryptic and just one stock photo for all Deere tractors. Anyone have experience with any options other than OTC. I also want to hear the good and bad from current OTC owners.

One thing I am curious about with the OTC is, does it fit under the "standard" 7' garage door? It appears to sit below the ROPS so I'm wondering if I lower the ROPS will I be able to pull the tractor in the garage with the OTC cab in place? I normally keep my tractor in a detached carport with a 12' door so there's no clearance issues there but when a blizzard is forecast it would be nice to have the snow removal equipment in the garage.

I posted here because I'd kind of like this to be 1 series specific but if the mods choose to move this, so be it.

Thanks in advance.
: Dan
I bought the OriginalTractorCab & am happy with it. Followed their good online video instructions for easy assembly. I bowed the doors out a bit for hand room. I did a "first impression" video on the tube.
if you want an in the cab look

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought the OriginalTractorCab & am happy with it. Followed their good online video instructions for easy assembly. I bowed the doors out a bit for hand room. I did a "first impression" video on the tube.
if you want an in the cab look
I'd seen that video before. It looks like you're also using a 1023E so, other than me going with a glass windshield, that's pretty much what I should see.
Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2006 2305 that I made my own cab for. I made the frame out of PVC pipe, wrapped felt around parts that touched paint and anchored it down with heavy plastic ties.

Took it to a local boat cover guy and he made a zip on cover for it. Removes easily in 5 pieces, cut the zip ties and just pick up the frame and hang it in my shed.

Nice and toasty as I get residual heat from the motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 2006 2305 that I made my own cab for. I made the frame out of PVC pipe, wrapped felt around parts that touched paint and anchored it down with heavy plastic ties.

Took it to a local boat cover guy and he made a zip on cover for it. Removes easily in 5 pieces, cut the zip ties and just pick up the frame and hang it in my shed.

Nice and toasty as I get residual heat from the motor.
Nicely done. While I'm a fan of do it yourself projects, I'm afraid that is just a little outside my skill set. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have an OTC cab for my 2032R so I can't speak for size and fit in your application. However....
Mine fits well and is well made. I let my Deere dealer install it the first time as they were getting my tractor set up for initial delivery at the start of winter 2 years ago, and they wanted the experience installing one. Seems they misplaced a couple pieces which I didn't notice until I went to put it on for its second winter. I contacted OTC, explained the situation, and they sent the missing parts to me in a hurry and refused to let me pay for them. That kind of service is unusual these days but very heartening.
With my tractor configuration, it is either the backhoe or the cab, no room for both at the same time. Removable cab was indicated, and I like the outdoors in summer. I got an aftermarket plug in heater but haven't tried it in 2 winters, no need so far. Last 2 winters have been relatively mild. But I am ready for it.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I contacted OTC, explained the situation, and they sent the missing parts to me in a hurry and refused to let me pay for them.
Thanks for the input. That kind of feedback is tractor independent. I'm feeling more comfortable with OTC with almost every post. Plus, seems they still honor the ttwt discount code. :)

Reactions: Tractor Tim

·
Premium Member
15,371 Posts
I haven't read the other posts , but I've had a OTC on a 2210 , then 2305 and then a 1026 and now 1025.

All with windshield and electric wiper. The one on the 1025 now was bought apx 8 yrs ago. For me I leave the top and 4 uprights and supports on year around. I think 3 years ago I had to order a few replacement parts but nothing major. Every summer , I take the windshield , back, front curtains and the two doors.
So with leaving the cab parts on year around I'm very happy with the quality of their product.
If needed I would buy another one today.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Just a little side Note:
I have had a OTC Cab with Glass windshield for 16 years On a JD X485 & X748 I take it apart each Year Not Fully But Break it down to components The Vinly was really worn By Year 15 so I replaced all the Vinyl sections( Probably didn't have the replace the Rear section But since I was replace the doors and Front Panel I figure why not) Back In 2017 I made a big mistake and bought a Seizmik Cab for my early 2017 1025R. I should have gone with the OTC Cab In the first Place as it a much better designed Cab then the Seizmik Cab(garbage as far as I am concerned) as Far as I Know that was Seizmik try at a Tractor Cab and they haven't made anymore for any Deere Tractor series machines. It fit the forward ROPS But You have to leave them folded to use Well I traded that 1025RLTLB in On a 2018 2025RTLB and went with a Tektite ROPS Hard Cab. Had OTC already had a cab out for the 2025R Gen II I probably would have gone that route instead of the Tektite( they Introduced the 2025R GEN II OTC Cab after I had already ordered the Tektite Cab. Just because I Kind of miss the open station feel In the summer But the top section of ROPS are removed with it so My Tractor is Probably 18inch shorter or even more then Having the ROPS In the Upright potion But It not a cheap Option about $8,200 Installed with the Options I Picked.

BTW the OTC Cab Installs Much easier On the 1 series and above compared to the X700 series Tractor You Can even Leave some of the Bracket On the ROPS if You do a partial disassembly in the warmer Months. They only downside I see if the electric heater as it still put a drain on the Tractors Battery even when it is off and the tractor is off. But it really does take the chill out of the air inside the cab
I also use a bit of blue painters tape to really help seal it Up In the winter Because On the X700 series if You Blowing snow You will still be a little white inside the Cab. I mount the OTC Cab On the X748 and run the 47inch Blower on it and Use the 2025R GEN II with a Loader Mounted CTA Blade On the Artillian system (y)

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'll admit the OTC cab isn't air tight. On the second snowfall I had it there was a lot of dry snow and howling winds. By morning there was up to 3" everywhere inside the cab, including overhead. Brushed out most of it and by the time I was done blowing, whatever had been left inside above the floor level had melted. Just the heat blowback from the engine.

With that kind of storm you have places with no snow and places with a few feet. I had a fair bit up in the rafters of my pole barn.

Ice storms are where it gets tough. The soft sides of the cab are fairly easy to clear. Just thunk the ice and it will fracture and fall off. The roof and windshield are a little more difficult, but don't scrape them or you will damage them. Use gentle heat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the OTC cab on my 1023E. The first couple of years it was ok. Like said above not air tight but keeps you out of the wind and blowing snow.
Mine came with a free electric heater.
Works ok on mild days but doesn't do much on below zero days.
There was a bunch of extra vynal pieces in the box so I used those to fill in under the seat.
After a couple of years the piece between the windshield started falling out all the time. I fixed the issue by wrapping zip ties around it under the windshield.
The other issue like said above my fingers are always hitting the windshield frame. And you cant run a spinner on the steering wheel as it hits the frame.
I just ordered the Curtis cab last night so I will be selling my OTC one.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the input. Ordered my OTC this morning. I did DL the instructions and noticed step 1 is to rotate the control lever so it leans inward. I'll just have to see what I can do about the steering wheel and windshield. Sadly, there appears to be no other alternative at this price point and a hard cab is not in the budget and not something I think I'd want to remove each spring.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts