Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I never felt the need to remove mine. That was my original plan but honestly it's to much to take it off and on each season. I like having the hard top for the shade. I just remove the doors. I know some guys remove all the vynal.
I'm going to a Curtis cab because I want the hard cab. With those you can open the windshield remove the doors and the rear panel.
I'm also selling my OTC cab.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Unfortunately I still have too many places where trees and shrubbery hit the ROPS. I dread to think what the OTC frame would look like after a season mowing my lawn. I had gone around at springtime and trimmed the branches that were the worst offenders but once the trees leafed out branches that were high enough before now aren't. IF I can ever get to the point where I have ROPS clearance in the entire yard I'll consider leaving it on. At that point, a hard cab can become a consideration. But that's several seasons away.

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
Dan, just getting in out of the direct wind and weather is a huge benefit. I expect you will be very happy with your OTC cab, especially when considering the alternative is sitting in the elements. I will say, once you have used a cab, it really makes going without one very difficult...............

I think back to sitting on the seat in the open weather for 3 hours and having to go into one of my neighbors homes because my eyes had frozen partially shut, coated with ice. There is something about using a snow blower that somehow, the wind seems to always be blowing directly towards you. With a snow blower, you definitely will want a windshield wiper, a manual one at a minimum, and an electric one with at least two speeds. Most time I have my front wiper on the lowest sitting. I will be honest that I rarely use my rear wiper. (window wiper, I should specify so as not to make others think I lack hygiene.....). :LOL:

When you are adding the extra lights and you mentioned a back up camera as well, keep in mind your alternator's 40 amp size. The LED lights won't use much power and the rear camera and monitor are small draw items, however, the heater will be the main source of any increased load.

If you do add LED lights up on the front and rear edges of the cab, I would suggest adding them on separate switches, so you can turn them on and off separately from the other tractor lights. A decent rear view camera will provide a view behind you, which is surprisingly good even without rear lights. Also, the LED lights can be very blinding to other vehicles coming up behind you, etc. so be careful about traffic and be prepared to turn off the LED lights so the drivers can see you clearly.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your completed winter set up........

Reactions: DanW

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Dan, just getting in out of the direct wind and weather is a huge benefit. I expect you will be very happy with your OTC cab, especially when considering the alternative is sitting in the elements. I will say, once you have used a cab, it really makes going without one very difficult...............

I think back to sitting on the seat in the open weather for 3 hours and having to go into one of my neighbors homes because my eyes had frozen partially shut, coated with ice. There is something about using a snow blower that somehow, the wind seems to always be blowing directly towards you. With a snow blower, you definitely will want a windshield wiper, a manual one at a minimum, and an electric one with at least two speeds. Most time I have my front wiper on the lowest sitting. I will be honest that I rarely use my rear wiper. (window wiper, I should specify so as not to make others think I lack hygiene.....). :LOL:

When you are adding the extra lights and you mentioned a back up camera as well, keep in mind your alternator's 40 amp size. The LED lights won't use much power and the rear camera and monitor are small draw items, however, the heater will be the main source of any increased load.

If you do add LED lights up on the front and rear edges of the cab, I would suggest adding them on separate switches, so you can turn them on and off separately from the other tractor lights. A decent rear view camera will provide a view behind you, which is surprisingly good even without rear lights. Also, the LED lights can be very blinding to other vehicles coming up behind you, etc. so be careful about traffic and be prepared to turn off the LED lights so the drivers can see you clearly.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your completed winter set up........
I'm looking forward to the first snow where I can sit in a cab and clear the snow. I used a walk behind snowblower for many years and know the feeling where no matter which direction I point the chute that seems to be the direction the wind is coming from. Especially with that light powdery stuff.

I do plan to have the lights and camera operate independent of the tractor's light switch. The good news is I have a 1023E and while mounting lights on the ROPS I found the connector that would be feeding the fender lights and 12v outlet. I plan on using that 12v outlet line for the lights (LED) and camera setup. That way it'll be just that plug to disconnect when I remove the cab. I'm not sure I'll even mount that 12v heater. My electronics background tells me it'll need to draw lots of current to put out any real heat. At most I was thinking of trying to use it as a defroster (defogger really), but I'll hold off to see if that's really needed. I get plenty of engine heat so once warmed up I'm not sure cab heat will be a problem.

Fortunately I won't be on the road much more than it takes to clear the mailbox and the road shoulder in the direction of traffic. That way when the state's plow comes past again by the time it gets to my driveway there's no more snow in the blade to close off the driveway. But I will be aware of lights blinding oncoming traffic.

I've played with lots of backup camera options with my slide in truck camper and have enough spare parts lying around to setup the cab. I actually find the field of view better with a camera than a mirror.

·
Registered
58 Posts
On my tractor I keep the ROPs down all the time. I have my backup camera right on the folded down ROPs. It has a great view from there.
The main. Reason I did it is when I use the box blade I don't have to sit all twisted in the seat.
I bought the whole kit off Ebay for $25.
It has a good picture too.

Attachments

21 - 25 of 25 Posts