Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new Worthington Cylinder Propane Tank. Fifty gallon, 200 lbs size. It weighs about 140 lbs empty and is 40" tall x 24" in diameter. Propane weighs 4 lbs per gallon, a 50 gallon tank will hold just under 50 gallons, 200 lbs for the sake of this question. So the weight of a filled tank will be just short of 350 lbs.

It seems it would be fine to haul it to a dealer in my trailer for filling . . . But will I have issues with lifting the filled tank off the trailer, which will be just a foot or so off the ground? :unknown: And setting it on this pad? :dunno:

My Deere :greentractorride: is a 2013 1026R

I've been lifting 500-600# pallets of cattle feed with forks. This will be 5/16" chain to the hooks on my loader bucket.

172871_700x700.jpg
IMG_3552.jpg

Marlin :cowboy:

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Marlin,
Shouldn't be a problem as long as your trailer isn't too high and you can hook your chain short. Lifting height would be the biggest concern, not the weight.

Of course and on the other hand, how will you be moving the tank on the trailer to get it to the edge where you can reach it, or are you planning on driving your tractor up into the trailer, lifting the tank and then back off the trailer carrying the tank?

Maybe you can do a dry run before filling it to make sure you can find a procedure that works before filling the tank?

Another thing you might want to verify is, are the lifting lugs on the tank designed to handle the weight of the empty tank, or are they designed to handle the tank weight plus the contents!!! Big difference in weight. I know, large propane tank lifting lugs are designed for the weight of the empty tank, not when it is filled. It is pretty much assumed, the tank will be set and filled once it is in position.:good2:

BE SAFE!!

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Marlin,
Shouldn't be a problem as long as your trailer isn't too high and you can hook your chain short. Lifting height would be the biggest concern, not the weight.

Of course and on the other hand, how will you be moving the tank on the trailer to get it to the edge where you can reach it, or are you planning on driving your tractor up into the trailer, lifting the tank and then back off the trailer carrying the tank?

Maybe you can do a dry run before filling it to make sure you can find a procedure that works before filling the tank?

Another thing you might want to verify is, are the lifting lugs on the tank designed to handle the weight of the empty tank, or are they designed to handle the tank weight plus the contents!!! Big difference in weight. I know, large propane tank lifting lugs are designed for the weight of the empty tank, not when it is filled. It is pretty much assumed, the tank will be set and filled once it is in position.:good2:

BE SAFE!!

Thanks . . .

Trailer will be a foot or so off the ground. I suspect the lift to be close to five feet or so for the loader. I see setting the tank at the rear, strapped in the center. I'd get the trailer close to the pad, then lift and set in place . . . hmm, not sure setting the tank to the rear of the trailer in the center is a good idea. :unknown:

The tongue weight would possibly be too light. Centered over the axle would be best but can I reach and lift it off? Dry run sounds like a plan. The loops welded to the tank for lifting are 1/2-5/8" steel and should carry the 350 lbs easily I suspect.

Hmm . . . permit. :unknown:

·
Registered
22,665 Posts
What would the propane company charge to come fill it? Might be worth considering......

Most everything older around here is fuel oil but anything built in the past 15 years or so has been propane. Even here in the boonies I see a propane delivery truck go by the house a couple times a week.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Stan's suggestion is excellent if your local company will accommodate you. At least in these parts, the propane company will supply the tank at no cost and refill it on site. We have a 125 gallon tank.

Otherwise, Ken's Oblong RingSlings might be helpful in lifting it. I love mine.

·
Registered
22,665 Posts
What about putting the tank on a pallet and leaving it there?
I had envisioned taking a pallet and cutting a circle in the top boards for the tank to set down into - of course reenforcing the slats adjacent to the cuts. Then crank the tank down to the pallet with ratchet straps.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What would the propane company charge to come fill it? Might be worth considering......
Yea that's my problem, I haven't found anyone willing to return a phone call, let alone come fill a tank. Still working it though, maybe I'll get lucky . . . All are sooo busy with their existing customers due to the cold weather we've been have since December.

What about putting the tank on a pallet and leaving it there?
Hey I like that. It's on a pallet now. I could take it off the pallet later after x number of gallons were used.

Delivered cost is going to be $3+/gal and I can get it at Coastal Farm for less the $2 with my military discount . . . saving me $50.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,414 Posts
Yea that's my problem, I haven't found anyone willing to return a phone call, let alone come fill a tank. Still working it though, maybe I'll get lucky . . . All are sooo busy with their existing customers due to the cold weather we've been have since December.

Hey I like that. It's on a pallet now. I could take it off the pallet later after x number of gallons were used.

Delivered cost is going to be $3+/gal and I can get it at Coastal Farm for less the $2 with my military discount . . . saving me $50.

Is that the bulk rate? Around here a tank that size would qualify for the bulk rate.

·
Corndog Hater
11,686 Posts
That is the same size tank I have for the pool heater. It is about $120 to fill it from empty. They just need to get the truck within 100' of the tank to fill it and then they are on their way. The place I deal with also knocks the price down if you are home when they come and you pay on the spot. Unfortunately, if we are heating the water, a full tank will only last us 10 days, 14 if we're vigilant. However, even having the truck stop every 10-14 days doesn't qualify us for a bigger tank.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Transporting Propane Tanks

Having worked for a propane company for a few months under 7 years. Please be aware of:

These tanks are loaded with an explosive gas. I would never lift the tank with chains - straps if you have to. The drivers and other employees (service employees) are trained technicians in how to handle propane.

Transporting Propane is dangerous and I would do my utmost to get a company to deliver I realize you have been trying. Perhaps offering to participate in their pre buy before the season might help. I don't even like transporting the 20# bbq cylinders.

I recommend calling one of the tank manufacturers such as Trinity or Manchester to ascertain the capacity those handles are rated for.
Please be careful.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is that the bulk rate? Around here a tank that size would qualify for the bulk rate.
Bulk rate . . . Didn't ask, Coastal is just retail so I kinda doubt it. We have delivery from Blue Star twice per year. Their last delivery was $3.23/gal I think. They answer the phone, take you message/request, and never call back.

I get a 10% military discount from Coastal so I pay $1.97/gal. . . I'd just have to haul it there. AmeriGas has a special with first fill fill running $1.69/gal and a fixed rate of 2.090 per gallon locked in through May 31, 2018. Extra fees apply for Hazmat and fuel recovery . . . still trying to get their attention for service.

We'll see . . . Marlin :cowboy:

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Tank ownership

Bulk rate . . . Didn't ask, Coastal is just retail so I kinda doubt it. We have delivery from Blue Star twice per year. Their last delivery was $3.23/gal I think. They answer the phone, take you message/request, and never call back.

I get a 10% military discount from Coastal so I pay $1.97/gal. . . I'd just have to haul it there. AmeriGas has a special with first fill fill running $1.69/gal and a fixed rate of 2.090 per gallon locked in through May 31, 2018. Extra fees apply for Hazmat and fuel recovery . . . still trying to get their attention for service.

The local companies here give a discount if you own your tank. My experience with Amerigas wasn't great. Good price at first but then they started trying to add fees, raise prices etc. If you sign anything, read it very, very carefully as it's their contract and not written to help you out. They won't change the contract but you should be aware of any odd provisions that allow them to charge you.

I don't know how many suppliers you have in the area but I'd call all of them, explain you have your own tank, can pay on delivery and see what their best price is. There's a huge difference in my area, and it's not always any one company with the lowest price.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
5,937 Posts

Gas companies here are cutthroat competitive. I would call them all and get quotes and tell your current supplier of your new found interest in the other guys. Tell them to get their keysters out there ASAP and top off your tanks and fill the new one or you will be switching providers in the very near future or not.:laugh:

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
Having worked for a propane company for a few months under 7 years. Please be aware of:

These tanks are loaded with an explosive gas. I would never lift the tank with chains - straps if you have to. The drivers and other employees (service employees) are trained technicians in how to handle propane.

Transporting Propane is dangerous and I would do my utmost to get a company to deliver I realize you have been trying. Perhaps offering to participate in their pre buy before the season might help. I don't even like transporting the 20# bbq cylinders.
I recommend calling one of the tank manufacturers such as Trinity or Manchester to ascertain the capacity those handles are rated for.
Please be careful.
No disrespect or malice intended but really?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you, all good input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
I moved our tank with the 2305 and didn't have any problems. Used chains and kens bolt on bucket hooks. Tank was about half full and needed to move the tank to install a concrete slab underneath since previous owner just had it sitting on blocks in the dirt. I would think the 1026r should be able to handle it without issue. Only scary part I think would be transporting the FULL tank over roads/highways which is illegal in NY without permit.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Went to one of the local supply houses to pick up an air handler and other small stuff. While driving around the back to get loaded I noticed this pile of tanks. I thought of this thread right away. They sell them to contractors that do the installations.

Forgot to ask how much weight that the attached loops can handle.
When I bought my mobile home I had a propane company install 2 similar tanks. Dude just picked them off his truck with an attached crane. He just put the hook through the little loop to do it. He mentioned that my new tanks were only 1/2 full. Then the delivery truck would stop by in the next few days to top them off.
He also mentioned that if he knew that his crane would be able to set the tanks right on the pads (like he did) he would have brought full ones. So I take it them loops are strong enough to lift a full tank.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts