Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have cracking in my fuel lines which has developed into a very slow leak. There is no salvaging what is there as the lines seem to have perished significantly. I had a quick look to see what I would need to to do and I think it will mean dropping the fuel tank to reinstall new lines.

Anyone done this job before and have any tips/advice?

Thanks in advance.

Premium Member
On my JD 6415 I used Gates Barricade line. It comes on both high and low pressure version. You only need the low pressure version, High is for fuel injected cars.
I only looked at the ID of only one line in JD parts catalog. It was metric and converted to 1/4" ID. I bought spool of 1/4" line, then found ALL the other lines were 5/16" ID 馃が I should have taken more time checking in the parts catalog, my fault for thinking they were all the ID.
I did take the length listed for each line and add them up and found one spool (IIRC 25") would do the entire tractor.
The Gates line had a bigger OD than what JD used, so I had to buy all new clamps. I had planned to reuse the old ones. IIRC the JD clamps fit 7/16" to 1/2" and I bought 9/16" to 5/8" clamps.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Zebrafive. Just confirming - did you need to drop the fuel tank to complete the job?

Premium Member
Thanks Zebrafive. Just confirming - did you need to drop the fuel tank to complete the job?
My fuel tank is different than yours. It is along the outside of the left frame rail. I had to remove the platform floor to access fuel lines to my fuel tank.
6415fuel.JPG
6415fueltank.JPG

Reactions: Lazy Acres

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a careful look and followed the line I need to replace. I may escape with a simple fix. I will report back once I have had a chance to do the job. Thanks again Zebrafive.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got around to this job. For anyone's future reference, it is very straightforward and requires only some dexterity to snake the line into its' correct position - I left the old line in place till I got the new one into position. No need to drop the fuel tank. Thanks for the assistance.

Premium Member
What ID size line did you use? That info will help the next guy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3/8 but I just took a piece of the old line in to the store to make absolutely sure it matched. I bought 3 metres (10 feet) to do the job with a little left over.

Premium Member
3/8 but I just took a piece of the old line in to the store to make absolutely sure it matched. I bought 3 metres (10 feet) to do the job with a little left over.
Larger than I expected. My JD 6415 used 1/4" and 5/16" ID hoses. About 6" of 1/4" and and close to 25' of 5/16".

Reactions: Lazy Acres
1 - 10 of 10 Posts