Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"This step is for mechanical lift equipped tractors only- To adjust MMM rockshaft lift strap (located between 3PH rockshaft and MMM rockshaft behind left rear wheel) you remove the mower and remove the hair pin clips and pins (D) to disconnect the lift links (E) from both lift arms. Raise the 3PH fully. Rotate mower cut height knob to lock position. Remove left rear wheel. (You might be able to skip this if you can reach the 3 bolts on the lifting strap.) Loosen the three bolts on the lift strap. Rotate mid mount rockshaft (B) forward until there is a small gap (A) between the the height cam (C) and mid mount rockshaft (B). Move lift strap forward to the end of travel slot and tighten the three bolts. (I'd use 1/16" to 1/8" for a goal for this gap.) Reinstall left rear wheel and mower. "

"First you want to adjust the side lift links (E) for maximum lift. To do this you'll want to start the tractor and raise the mower all the way. Rotate the mower height adjustment knob to the lock position. Now look at the mower height cam (C) above the left rear mower latch. It's just behind the left rear tire. You want to see a gap at "A". I've found that a gap of about 1/8" is perfect"

Both these procedure were written by Deisel shadow. I dont have gap A in my tractor. I want to increase it to 1/8th inches.

Where I am confused is what is the first procedure for ?
My understanding is that the second procedure is for increasing gap A? What is the first process for ?

I have Mechanical lift.

Thank you guys for help.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
if what you are saying is that you need to increase the gap between the height adjustment cam, and the mower lift arm assembly, you accomplish this via the procedure in the first long quote, in which you adjust that 2-piece aluminum strap with the 3 bolts behind the left rear tire.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The first step is merely adjusting the mover deck so it will be at its highest level. Beware if you adjust the lift links too high it will pull the lift strap out of adjustment and you will have to do everything all over. If you are satisfied in how high your mower deck lifts you can skip adjusting the lift links. The end result in all the adjustments; is with the mower deck lifted all the way up to be able to rotate the mower height adjustment knob 360 degrees with out hitting a stop. I found that setting the gap to 1/4-3/8 inches with the mower deck off is better than 1/8 inch. When you hook up the mower deck, the weight of the deck will lessen the gap and possibly/almost for sure, not be enough of a gap.

The biggest thing guys do is have too much gap from the deck wheels to the ground. This gives you a choppy cut and scalps more. I get the best cut out of my mower set at about 2.5 inches (blade to ground) and the deck wheels set at around 1/4 inch from the ground. Leveling the mower deck is also critical in achieving the best cut. It is confusing for sure. Leveling the mower deck is much more of a benefit to the best cut possible than adjusting the deck to achieve its highest level. Hope this helps you understand what does what.

Another note; no reason to take off the left wheel. You can reach the 3 bolts on the lift strap easily with a torque wrench and short socket.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
"This step is for mechanical lift equipped tractors only- To adjust MMM rockshaft lift strap (located between 3PH rockshaft and MMM rockshaft behind left rear wheel) you remove the mower and remove the hair pin clips and pins (D) to disconnect the lift links (E) from both lift arms. Raise the 3PH fully. Rotate mower cut height knob to lock position. Remove left rear wheel. (You might be able to skip this if you can reach the 3 bolts on the lifting strap.) Loosen the three bolts on the lift strap. Rotate mid mount rockshaft (B) forward until there is a small gap (A) between the the height cam (C) and mid mount rockshaft (B). Move lift strap forward to the end of travel slot and tighten the three bolts. (I'd use 1/16" to 1/8" for a goal for this gap.) Reinstall left rear wheel and mower. "

"First you want to adjust the side lift links (E) for maximum lift. To do this you'll want to start the tractor and raise the mower all the way. Rotate the mower height adjustment knob to the lock position. Now look at the mower height cam (C) above the left rear mower latch. It's just behind the left rear tire. You want to see a gap at "A". I've found that a gap of about 1/8" is perfect"

Both these procedure were written by Deisel shadow. I dont have gap A in my tractor. I want to increase it to 1/8th inches.

My understanding is that the second procedure is for increasing gap A? What is the first process for ?

I have Mechanical lift.

Thank you guys for help.
What tractor do you have?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I have Mechanical lift.

Thank you guys for help.
What tractor do you have?
1025r

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if what you are saying is that you need to increase the gap between the height adjustment cam, and the mower lift arm assembly, you accomplish this via the procedure in the first long quote, in which you adjust that 2-piece aluminum strap with the 3 bolts behind the left rear tire.
Then what is the second procedure for. Just trying to see which process does what

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more question.
When adjust MMM rockshaft and adjusting for maximum lift do I need Mid mount mower attached or I can do without ut attached ?

Looks like it will be easier to do with MMM attached

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
That gap is to make sure you have enough clearance to rotate the height adjustment knob without interference. With no clearance you may not be able to lift and lock the mower at the highest height.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far by my understanding you have to perform both procedures to get gap A to 1/8th inch.
First you afjust MMM rockshaft with loosening three bolts.
Then you adjust again by loosing the pins and clips.
Only after that there will be correct gap of A 1/8th inch

If you do only one procedure then you might not have correct gap

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That gap is to make sure you have enough clearance to rotate the height adjustment knob without interference. With no clearance you may not be able to lift and lock the mower at the highest height.
Hi Deisel Shadow. Thanks for chiming in.

Yes I am trying to get the knob turn 360 degrees like you said. Without the gap it wouldnt turn.

Only part I am confused is both process listed by you aim at getting gap A to 1/8th inch.
My question was do I have to perform both or anyone one will give me gap A

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi Deisel Shadow. Thanks for chiming in.

Yes I am trying to get the knob turn 360 degrees like you said. Without the gap it wouldnt turn.

Only part I am confused is both process listed by you aim at getting gap A to 1/8th inch.
My question was do I have to perform both or anyone one will give me gap A
The adjustment of the lift arms connected to the mower deck will not effect the gap, unless you adjust them too much/high. Then that will cause the lift strap (three bolts) to be pulled out of adjustment. This will change the gap and you will have to go back and adjust everything from there.

The primary objective of all this adjusting is to get the mower deck to raise to its highest possible position. In other words if you want to get another 1/2 inch of mower deck height you might be able to with all the adjusting. If your happy with how high your deck raises and with your mower deck raised all the way up, and you can rotate the height adjustment knob without interference. There is no reason to make any adjustments. You will not get a better lawn cut with any of these adjustments. Leveling the deck will improve your lawn cut and setting the deck wheels properly will improve your lawn cut. (this is better explained in the manual)

If your happy with how high your mower deck raises. With your mower deck raised all the way and your height adjustment knob knob won't rotate 360 degrees with out interference. You will have to adjust the lift strap with the 3 bolts, to get the 1/8 gap. You must drop the mower deck off to perform this adjustment. You do not have to adjust the mower deck lift arms to attain this gap. If you can't rotate the mower deck height adjustment knob with out interference. You merely have no gap. Note: the manual is very misleading on this.

Note: Some of the tractors had the lift strap with the 3 bolts inverted from initial assembly, which also causes trouble.

Its confusing for sure. Trying to state it as simply as possible saying what does what.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ Case thank you for taking time explainig it.

No my height adjustment knob wont turn 360 hence trying to get adjustment for gap.

I will follow the first step and loosen three bolts and get a gap of 1/8th inch

Thank you .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I will learn once I start working on the tractor .

I am still reading the initial setup thread and here is how its written.

First adjust MMM rockshaft lift strap
Loosen three bolts
Rotate mid mount rock shaft forward untill there is gap
Tighten three bolts.

Next paragraph says
unlock all anti-scalp wheels
turn the mower height adjustment knob to the "install" position, and
then lower the deck to the ground.
Then remove the hair pin clips and pins (D) and adjust both links (E) up equally. Now you need to raise the mower fully and check for the gap (A) between the height cam (C) and the rock shaft arm (B). Repeat this process until you get close to 1/8".

This is why I am confused. There are still 2 ways to adjust the gap.

Some say only adjust thru MMM rockshaft and three bolts
Whereas the author of thread explains another process of adjusting both links E equally.

I guess I will perform everything written in thread one after another.

·
Registered
255 Posts
What year is your 1025R? I am finding with the 2018 1025R's, adjusting the lift strap all the way is not fixing the issue and I have to adjust the position feedback rod that is under the plastic to the right of the seat if you are sitting on the tractor. This will lift the 3pt arms/deck higher. Caution though, you only want to adjust one thread at a time, if you adjust too much you will hear the hydraulics struggle with pressure. Usually a thread or 2 adjustment fixes it and the knob rotates all the way around.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I guess I will learn once I start working on the tractor .

I am still reading the initial setup thread and here is how its written.

First adjust MMM rockshaft lift strap
Loosen three bolts
Rotate mid mount rock shaft forward untill there is gap
Tighten three bolts.

Next paragraph says
unlock all anti-scalp wheels
turn the mower height adjustment knob to the "install" position, and
then lower the deck to the ground.
Then remove the hair pin clips and pins (D) and adjust both links (E) up equally. Now you need to raise the mower fully and check for the gap (A) between the height cam (C) and the rock shaft arm (B). Repeat this process until you get close to 1/8".

This is why I am confused. There are still 2 ways to adjust the gap.

Some say only adjust thru MMM rockshaft and three bolts
Whereas the author of thread explains another process of adjusting both links E equally.

I guess I will perform everything written in thread one after another.
Adjusting the links absolutely, will not change the gap. It only raises and lowers the Mower deck. It is from the JD manual and is not correct. I read this when I first got my 1025R and thought how can this be? The rockshaft lift strap 3 bolts adjusts the gap. I will outline exactly what you need to do to adjust your gap. This will save you a ton of time and trial and error.

1. Start the tractor, raise the deck all the way, turn the mower height adjustment knob to the "install" position, and then lower the deck to the ground. No need to fuss with the deck wheels.
2. Remove the hair pin clips and pins from the mower deck.
3. Raise the 3 point hitch all the way up. Mower deck is on the ground. You may have to back the tractor off the mower deck. I Cant' remember for sure.
4. Turn the mower height adjustment knob to the lock position or as close as you can get it in your case.
5. Loosen the three bolts on the rock shaft lift strap.
6. Rotate the mid mount rock shaft forward until you get close to a 3/8 gap.
7. Torque the three bolts to 30 ft lbs
8. You now should be able to rotate the mower height adjustment knob to the lock position.
9. Rotate the the mower height adjustment knob to the install position.
10. Lower the 3 point and hook the mower deck back up.
11. Raise the mower deck all the way and check the gap, should be close to 1/8 inch

After you are done with this you can still adjust the deck height if you would want to. Just remember if you adjust it too high you will pull the rock shaft lift strap (3 bolts) out of adjustment and have to start all over, including lowering the mower deck links some. Try steps 1-11 and see how it goes. What do you have to lose? I just can't make it any easier to understand or I would.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will perform steps 1 to 11 and get back to you.
Thanks again

I only need adjust for gap as the knob wont turn 360 degrees.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I will perform steps 1 to 11 and get back to you.
Thanks again

I only need adjust for gap as the knob wont turn 360 degrees.

Thanks again.
Yes.... that is what was wrong with my 1025R when I got it. Make sure to check if the rock shaft lift strap (3 bolts) was installed properly. Some 1025R tractors came with the strap put on backwards. I have provided a link to a picture of how the strap should be installed. I couldn't get my regular image poster to work. I did remove my mower deck to make all the adjustments 1-11. It makes it easier to work around/under the tractor and you can look under there much better. I believe you can make all the adjustments with the deck resting on the ground (much harder with the mower deck under the tractor). If you don't have the room to remove the deck.

https://i.imgur.com/9iMb65V.jpg

·
Registered
307 Posts
What year is your 1025R? I am finding with the 2018 1025R's, adjusting the lift strap all the way is not fixing the issue and I have to adjust the position feedback rod that is under the plastic to the right of the seat if you are sitting on the tractor. This will lift the 3pt arms/deck higher. Caution though, you only want to adjust one thread at a time, if you adjust too much you will hear the hydraulics struggle with pressure. Usually a thread or 2 adjustment fixes it and the knob rotates all the way around.
I don't think the 2018 1025R has a lock position on the mower height adjustment knob. So not sure what you are adjusting? I haven't worked on a 2018 1025R. So I'm not of much help on the 2108 model.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also step 6 says rotate mid mount rock shaft forward means push the mid mount rock shaft forward right.
Also move the bolts either to left or right.
That work rotate is confusing me.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts