Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading an article about some popular and unique pick-up trucks & SUV's from the past. Here are a few photos that I enjoyed:

Truck Chevy Cameo.jpg Truck- 56 Ford F100 .jpg

Truck-48 Dodge Power Wagon.jpg Truck-67 Chevy C10.jpg

Truck-70 Chevelle SS El Camino.jpg Truck-Dodge Little Red Express.jpg

Truck-Ford Bronco Baha.jpg Truck-Ford F150 Lightning.jpg

Truck 49 Diamond T Pick-up.jpg

I'd take the Diamond T or the Power Wagon. How about you?

Registered
I agree, Diamond T Power Wagon. I always liked the Chevy Cameos too. OK, one pick - the Diamond T.:usa

GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
I have a trailer that is the bed to a '54 Ford truck, but it is just coated with primer. Now y'all have me thinking I should make it look a little fancier, for hauling supplies.

Yes, older cars and trucks were the best, just as most old farm homes looked better than today's newer stuff. Hard to tell one cookie cutter vehicle from the next, these days.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #5
I have a trailer that is the bed to a '54 Ford truck, but it is just coated with primer. Now y'all have me thinking I should make it look a little fancier, for hauling supplies.

Yes, older cars and trucks were the best, just as most old farm homes looked better than today's newer stuff. Hard to tell one cookie cutter vehicle from the next, these days.
FG19,

Now that Bill Berger has finished sprucing up his new trailer I hear he's looking for another "Spring Project!" Maybe he can help you out with your trailer??

Super Moderator
I've always been a fan of the early 1950's International R-120 Pickup.

1955-International-Harvester-R120.jpg

2nd choice would go to the 1958/1959 Chevy pickups. Very similar to the 1st pic posted but with the quad-headlight setup.

Premium Member
I was reading an article about some popular and unique pick-up trucks & SUV's from the past. Here are a few photos that I enjoyed:

View attachment 39339 View attachment 39340

View attachment 39341 View attachment 39342

View attachment 39343 View attachment 39344

View attachment 39345 View attachment 39346

View attachment 39347

I'd take the Diamond T or the Power Wagon. How about you?
I agree of the ones you posted ,first choice Power Wagon then Diamond T

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #8
I've always been a fan of the early 1950's International R-120 Pickup.

View attachment 39354

2nd choice would go to the 1958/1959 Chevy pickups. Very similar to the 1st pic posted but with the quad-headlight setup.
Jim,

That's a nice old IH pick-up your posted! The IH, Willys & Studebaker pick-ups were pretty rare in the Northeast. When I was in HS my friend had a '53 Mercury pick-up. I believe they were sold in Canada.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #11
I have never had an old Studebaker truck but do like the looks. Here I am with my 1951 Studebaker Commander:
View attachment 39355 View attachment 39356

...sold it years ago to Steve Wozniak (yes THAT Steve Wozniak -- aka Woz.)

This is the pickup style I am thinking of...1948 body style.
View attachment 39357

Chuck
Cool story! My Uncle Jim had a '50 Studebaker Commander. We used to call it his "Rocket Car." It was a 2 door sedan if I remember correctly. The engine smoked and the clutch slipped so he put it in my Grandmother's garage for storage. We got around to taking it out after a few years but the cats & rats got to it so off to the scrap yard it went. The body was real solid but between the mechanicals and the interior that needed to ripped out it just wasn't worth the effort way back then ('70's).

Registered
Yes, the 51 Commander was a real boat -- 4 doors (back two are suicide style...) and a V8 engine. It could go much faster than the vintage brakes, suspension and handling could even begin to accommodate. Pretty scary really by today's standards. The color of my Studebaker was a light sea-foam green, and the interior was cloth upholstery with a headliner that looked like a grey flannel blanket.

I can imagine what damage the rodents could do to one of these stored in a barn for decades...

Chuck

Registered
Dodge power wagon for sure. Hard to find. Stacey David Gearz built one up. It was awsome.

Attachments

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #18

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yes, the 51 Commander was a real boat -- 4 doors (back two are suicide style...) and a V8 engine. It could go much faster than the vintage brakes, suspension and handling could even begin to accommodate. Pretty scary really by today's standards. The color of my Studebaker was a light sea-foam green, and the interior was cloth upholstery with a headliner that looked like a grey flannel blanket.

I can imagine what damage the rodents could do to one of these stored in a barn for decades...

Chuck
'51 was the first year for their new V8, a 232" I believe.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts