Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As small as these mods are it is a start.:mocking:
The pics 2-4 are taking the rear tires off to go get them filled with Rim Guard and putting them back on. While I was at the tire shop, they had a new JD 6130D there filling its rear tires, sweet tractor :thumbup1gif: would not want that bill for filling:laugh: Anyway he put 10 gallons of Rim Guard in each of my tires giving it an extra 220lbs of weight, that should be enough to push the snow plow.:good2::mocking:
In the first pic, it is hard to see :unknown: but I put the wheel spinner knob from the 1026R on the X540:kidw_truck_smiley::laugh:
Its not much! But its mine!:drinks:
Jeff

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,463 Posts
Looks like a comfortable seat to mow the lawn. How much was the Rim Guard if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a comfortable seat to mow the lawn. How much was the Rim Guard if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
The seat is not bad even for a old tall fat man like me:mocking: we will see how it is in a year or two:boredom:. As for the Rim Guard they only charged me for 8 [email protected] 2.59 per gallon and a 25.00 pumping fee, so I have 70 into it. That 6130D, they said it would hold 100 gallons per tire, but only put 50 in each:unknown:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Extra 220 Lbs of Weight

The pics 2-4 are taking the rear tires off to go get them filled with Rim Guard and putting them back on. While I was at the tire shop, they had a new JD 6130D there filling its rear tires, sweet tractor :thumbup1gif: would not want that bill for filling:laugh: Anyway he put 10 gallons of Rim Guard in each of my tires giving it an extra 220lbs of weight, that should be enough to push the snow plow.:good2::mocking:
In the first pic, it is hard to see :unknown: but I put the wheel spinner knob from the 1026R on the X540:kidw_truck_smiley::laugh:
Jeff
Hi Jeff,
I'm curious about the extra 220 lbs. of weight you just added to your rear tires. Do you pan to mow with this added weight in the tires? The reason I ask is a couple of years ago I got lazy and left the wheel weights on my 325 all summer and I ended up with shallow grooves in my lawn! It took at least two years for the frost to even thing out. Wondering if you know something I don't or if your Michigan
soil is just harder than my Illinois prairie loam.
Curt

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Jeff,
I'm curious about the extra 220 lbs. of weight you just added to your rear tires. Do you pan to mow with this added weight in the tires? The reason I ask is a couple of years ago I got lazy and left the wheel weights on my 325 all summer and I ended up with shallow grooves in my lawn! It took at least two years for the frost to even thing out. Wondering if you know something I don't or if your Michigan
soil is just harder than my Illinois prairie loam.
Curt
Hi Curt.
I don't know about the soil, and we just have a average yard. :unknown: But I am a believer in weight. I guess if I mowed the same pattern every time I might start some kind of groove, but no grooves started with the 1026R I had, and it had loaded tires and weighed twice as much as the X540. I do roll my yard in the spring while it is still soft for what good it does.:laugh:
Hope some of this made sence to you:drinks:
Jeff

·
Registered
280 Posts
with the Front mower the tires are filled on that and it doesnt leave marks, it did before because it didnt have enough traction but now its good, i mow in a different direction every time but id doesnt "groove" to bad

if it does groove run a roller over it in the spring , summer, and fall

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With my 445 I would leave tracks if I mowed the same tracks without any added weight.

I cannot wait to see the plow Jeff.
:laugh: Easy Brian, It's just the JD 48'' plow. If I could have made the Curtis work I would have kept it:drinks:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So has the extra weight helped with lawn striping? We need pictures :lol:
The weed field of a lawn I have won't stripe, i'm thinking it could use some more 12-12-12:unknown: or a roto tiller:laugh:

·
Premium Member
12,863 Posts
Jeff
I'd like some more info on the seat mod. I have a 1023e but requested an armrest seat when I bought it. The seat they put on was actually a X5xx seat, I like it but I feel like I'm sitting in a recliner. Did you simply replace the rubber springs with real springs, it looks like it would also move the seat back more upright. I know this is an ancient post but I've been searching the archives for X5xx seat mods.:good2:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I'd like some more info on the seat mod. I have a 1023e but requested an armrest seat when I bought it. The seat they put on was actually a X5xx seat, I like it but I feel like I'm sitting in a recliner. Did you simply replace the rubber springs with real springs, it looks like it would also move the seat back more upright. I know this is an ancient post but I've been searching the archives for X5xx seat mods.:good2:
This is just the stock seat from a 2011 or newer X534,540,590 tractor. I think that this seat is also used on some of the big boys tractors. However I'm not sure what ones.

The arm rests don't come standard on any of the X5xx models. It's a separate kit and drilling the side of the seat is required to mount them. Mine came with the kit installed but it was a used tractor with 4 hours on it.

I'm not sure what you're dealership did to install the seat on your tractor. I'm sure that the big seat plus the arm rests kit isn't cheap. However it was probably cheaper than converting a 1023 seat to a 1025 just for the arm rests.

I'm pretty sure that the X3xx and the 500's use the same mounting base. So it interchanges with the more common 2 piece seat. They use 2 metal coil springs for suspension. The springs can be moved forward/back to one of 3 positions to adjust the stiffness. The springs fit into the lower mount. Not the fender deck like my old tractor.

Maybe post some pictures so we can see how they mounted it.

·
Premium Member
12,863 Posts
This is just the stock seat from a 2011 or newer X534,540,590 tractor. I think that this seat is also used on some of the big boys tractors. However I'm not sure what ones.

The arm rests don't come standard on any of the X5xx models. It's a separate kit and drilling the side of the seat is required to mount them. Mine came with the kit installed but it was a used tractor with 4 hours on it.

I'm not sure what you're dealership did to install the seat on your tractor. I'm sure that the big seat plus the arm rests kit isn't cheap. However it was probably cheaper than converting a 1023 seat to a 1025 just for the arm rests.

I'm pretty sure that the X3xx and the 500's use the same mounting base. So it interchanges with the more common 2 piece seat. They use 2 metal coil springs for suspension. The springs can be moved forward/back to one of 3 positions to adjust the stiffness. The springs fit into the lower mount. Not the fender deck like my old tractor.

You're right, the new 2Rs have this seat as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sweet Ride! It doesn't look like they changed your valve stems to metal ones. The Rim Guard will soften your rubber valve stem and it will pull out after a few years. I had a 1025R the other day that was filled and rubber stems were not changed. I went to check the air pressure and the inside of the stem came out, luckily it was on top and I did not get a Rim Guard bath, but I had to break the beads and replace with metal valve stems.

·
Premium Member
12,863 Posts

Shoot man, I just read this again, so this is where I've been thinking of making it different. I have those 3 position slots but it comes with rubber suspension springs, if I could fine some real seat springs with a rubber cap that wouldn't where on the bottom of the seat that would fix it I think

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Shoot man, I just read this again, so this is where I've been thinking of making it different. I have those 3 position slots but it comes with rubber suspension springs, if I could fine some real seat springs with a rubber cap that wouldn't where on the bottom of the seat that would fix it I think

This is how my 540 is set up. My springs are in the middle position. This gave me a softer ride than having them all the way back. For some reason the springs look bent in my picture.

My springs don't have rubber tops. They just push against the bottom of the plastic seat. Other than some light scratches the seat is fine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,863 Posts
This is how my 540 is set up. My springs are in the middle position. This gave me a softer ride than having them all the way back. For some reason the springs look bent in my picture.

My springs don't have rubber tops. They just push against the bottom of the plastic seat. Other than some light scratches the seat is fine.
Okay, thanks for the pics, I'll look for a set.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts