Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Administrator
20,128 Posts
Wow. That does look interesting. I wonder if they'll make them for larger machines?

·
Administrator
16,756 Posts
Are the blue LED's optional? Can you get them in green? :laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,197 Posts
Nice but big $$

·
Super Moderator
7,799 Posts
Michelin has an impressive reputation for great quality, long wearing and expensive radial tires. That being said they've had some tremendous flops over the years. The Michelin "TRX" radial introduced in the early '70's went nowhere. The PAX "RunFlat" Radial introduced on Honda minivans a few years ago was a colossal flop and financial disaster for both Michelin & Honda. The "Tweel" has been in development for quite a few years now. I saw it around 7 years ago. The word then was that although it showed promise the biggest obstacle was NVH. The issue was a rolling harmonic that was difficult to control. Too noisy for passenger car use. At low speeds though the Tweel showed promise, hence Utility and L&G use. It will be interesting! :munch:

·
Administrator
16,756 Posts
Posted on JD's YouTube site:

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'd be happy to try a set. I have a really bumpy yard and routinely use the seatbelt to stay 'in' the seat. I also like going fast.. I also spent the last two years ripping out and cutting down honey locust trees. I cannot believe I didn't get a flat yet. Wonder how much they are for 925a?

Jim

·
Registered
20,787 Posts
What an awesome innovation! If I were still in the mowing business I would likely get in line for a Z-Trak with this feature.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Michelin has an impressive reputation for great quality, long wearing and expensive radial tires. That being said they've had some tremendous flops over the years. The Michelin "TRX" radial introduced in the early '70's went nowhere. The PAX "RunFlat" Radial introduced on Honda minivans a few years ago was a colossal flop and financial disaster for both Michelin & Honda. The "Tweel" has been in development for quite a few years now. I saw it around 7 years ago. The word then was that although it showed promise the biggest obstacle was NVH. The issue was a rolling harmonic that was difficult to control. Too noisy for passenger car use. At low speeds though the Tweel showed promise, hence Utility and L&G use. It will be interesting! :munch:
There is a you tube video from the CEO of Michelin and it said all technical aspect of the Tweel were worked out. The only thing keepin it from the passenger car/truck market was the Federal Dept of Transportation. There is a federal law mandating air pressure for passender vehicles. That would have to change before the Tweel could be marketed. On the last Hot Rod Power Tour there were 5 vehicles using the Tweel. All completed the Tour with no tire problems. Put Tweel in for the search on You Tube for lots of information.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,197 Posts
I think around 2005. I'm thinking mud would make a mess of things.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
"Softer ride on mower tractors" means more up and down movement of the tractor/cutting deck, the tires being the "cushion" or "shock absorber" leading to threads like "Why won't my mower cut even with my newfangled kewl hi-buck squooshy tires?"

To get that "better ride" go with seat modification or a suspension seat that is weight adjustable and let the tires do their job. Golf cart? Go for it!:laugh:

·
Registered
51 Posts
"Softer ride on mower tractors" means more up and down movement of the tractor/cutting deck, the tires being the "cushion" or "shock absorber" leading to threads like "Why won't my mower cut even with my newfangled kewl hi-buck squooshy tires?"

To get that "better ride" go with seat modification or a suspension seat that is weight adjustable and let the tires do their job. Golf cart? Go for it!:laugh:
If you watch the video, it seems the mower doesn't bounce around as much with the tweel tires and there is no air pressure to check. Looks like a win win to me.

·
Premium Member
7,116 Posts
I think these will be confined to low speed uses for the foreseeable future.

On a car or truck at highway speeds; I could see an imbalance condition being created due to mud and snow buildup, especially if they don't self clean as well as hoped for.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Definitely agree. I don't see how a bottle of airsoft bbs would stay inside one. :)

Jim

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,183 Posts
The new wheel has been around like was said. For me, I'll not be getting any. I must be to old school. I don't like the look, not on my car, truck or tractor. But then I don't like the 20" or larger wheel look either. I like side walls. Closed side walls, with letters on them even if they're black. But... it is a new thing and will sell and probably get rave reviews. At least till bad things start happening because of it. :unknown:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
The new wheel has been around like was said. For me, I'll not be getting any. I must be to old school. I don't like the look, not on my car, truck or tractor. But then I don't like the 20" or larger wheel look either. I like side walls. Closed side walls, with letters on them even if they're black. But... it is a new thing and will sell and probably get rave reviews. At least till bad things start happening because of it. :unknown:
I'm with you on the raised white letters. I had new Michelin E rated tires put on my work van last year. I had them turn the white letters out....:laugh:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts