Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a new-to-me F525 with only 185 hours on the meter and noticed something a bit, well, peculiar on it... It’s got an A/C outlet tied into one of the lines going up the column. The outlet itself has an on/off switch and then there’s another switch in the control area that I’m not sure if it’s tied to the outlet too or not.

First question is, there’s no way this is stock, right? I haven’t even looked behind the plate yet (almost scared to) to see what’s going on. Second question is, have any of you seen something like this before? The mower runs and cuts perfectly fine so it’s not like it’s affecting the performance whatsoever, or at least not that I can tell.

I know this model is a mixed bag when it comes to reliability thanks to the Unitized Power Unit Thingymabobber 2000, but I love it and I’m happy to finally have my hands on one ... and one that looks to have some interesting character along with it.

Attachments

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
My immediate guess is the switch is a homeowner special:unknown:.....but I know next to nothing about these front mounted mower machines. It looks like a nice find BTW!:good2:

·
Administrator
20,987 Posts
My Grandfather was famous for doing that. But he wouldn’t go to the expense of putting a cover plate on. He would tell us you could buy a household switch for $.25, but an automotive switch was $5-10. Huge savings. :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My immediate guess is the switch is a homeowner special
.....but I know next to nothing about these front mounted mower machines. It looks like a nice find BTW!
Yeah it’s in great shape overall. Battery was dead initially but I’m assuming it was from sitting for so long. Put it on a trickle charger and it fired right up. Will be relaxing the battery anyways.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Grandfather was famous for doing that. But he wouldn’t go to the expense of putting a cover plate on. He would tell us you could but a switch for $.25, but an automotive switch was $5-10. Huge savings.
?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I have one but it doesn’t have that on it. Definitely not stock.

I love my F525. My son loves it more though. So I don’t get to use it much. It has 750+ hours on it now so you should be good to go for a while.

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
455 Posts
I recently picked up a new-to-me F525 with only 185 hours on the meter and noticed something a bit, well, peculiar on it... It’s got an A/C outlet tied into one of the lines going up the column. The outlet itself has an on/off switch and then there’s another switch in the control area that I’m not sure if it’s tied to the outlet too or not.

First question is, there’s no way this is stock, right? I haven’t even looked behind the plate yet (almost scared to) to see what’s going on. Second question is, have any of you seen something like this before? The mower runs and cuts perfectly fine so it’s not like it’s affecting the performance whatsoever, or at least not that I can tell.

I know this model is a mixed bag when it comes to reliability thanks to the Unitized Power Unit Thingymabobber 2000, but I love it and I’m happy to finally have my hands on one ... and one that looks to have some interesting character along with it.

John Deere wouldn't take the time to go to Ace Hardware and buy a common house-hold electric box and switch to add a AC unit. The previous owner had a few around add a switch for some reason. BTW> Many can tell how many hours are on a tractor by looking at the seat. That seat probably has way over 600 or more hours. The previous owner can add a electric box, can also switch out the hour meter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

John Deere wouldn't take the time to go to Ace Hardware and buy a common house-hold electric box and switch to add a AC unit. The previous owner had a few around add a switch for some reason. BTW> Many can tell how many hours are on a tractor by looking at the seat. That seat probably has way over 600 or more hours. The previous owner can add a electric box, can also switch out the hour meter.
I figured as much about the switch. I’m not overly concerned about the hours because it truly does run like a dream, regardless of whether it’s 185 or 1085. Everything under the hood looks nearly new so I don’t have any reason to believe I’ve had the wool pulled over my eyes.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have a 1999 John Deere 345 with 912 hours, and a 2012 John Deere Z710A Ztrack with 295 hours. Both of these tractors have the original seats, and they don't look like the seat on your F525. My thoughts are, why would a person take a old worn out, vinyl split, dirty seat and install it on the F525 he is selling. Also, the deck pulleys are rusted, the rust on the from spindles, and there is probably more evidence the age and hours are shown elsewhere on the tractor. Yes, one can take a high pressure washer with some oily soap solution and wash the engine to the point that one would thing it was a new engine. 5 hours of mowing is roughly two days on mowing the lawn, and that few hours wouldn't destroy that seat you have.

Sorry to bring some bad news.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 1999 John Deere 345 with 912 hours, and a 2012 John Deere Z710A Ztrack with 295 hours. Both of these tractors have the original seats, and they don't look like the seat on your F525. My thoughts are, why would a person take a old worn out, vinyl split, dirty seat and install it on the F525 he is selling. Also, the deck pulleys are rusted, the rust on the from spindles, and there is probably more evidence the age and hours are shown elsewhere on the tractor. Yes, one can take a high pressure washer with some oily soap solution and wash the engine to the point that one would thing it was a new engine. 5 hours of mowing is roughly two days on mowing the lawn, and that few hours wouldn't destroy that seat you have.

Sorry to bring some bad news.
You’re not bringing me any bad news, at all. I’ve wanted this model for a while now and I got this particular one for $400. It runs perfectly well and is clean (other than the seat you’re so concerned about and the rust which is merely a result of it having sat without the guards for a while). Could he have power washed the engine or messed with the hour meter? Sure. But who cares? I’m going to enjoy the heck out of this thing whether it’s in a new seat, a torn one or none at all.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My apologies to you for my unnecessary words regarding the working conditions on the JD F525 tractor. My reason for the information I replied to you is based on the cosmetic appearance of the tractor.

You mentioned the engine is very clean and appears to be new (or very few hours. That can be if the previous owner installed a new engine.
So, how to find that out is very easy. The tractor has a plaque with the Model number and serial number placed somewhere on the machine.
There is also Model number and serial number for the engine, and that is somewhere on the engine. Same goes for the mower deck.
If you would like, I can look all this up and give you the year of the tractor, the engine, and mower deck. Should the engine number be different than what was installed in the tractor at the factory, it would no doubt be a replacement. If that was the case, that hour meter probably was changed same time as the engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My apologies to you for my unnecessary words regarding the working conditions on the JD F525 tractor. My reason for the information I replied to you is based on the cosmetic appearance of the tractor.

You mentioned the engine is very clean and appears to be new (or very few hours. That can be if the previous owner installed a new engine.
So, how to find that out is very easy. The tractor has a plaque with the Model number and serial number placed somewhere on the machine.
There is also Model number and serial number for the engine, and that is somewhere on the engine. Same goes for the mower deck.
If you would like, I can look all this up and give you the year of the tractor, the engine, and mower deck. Should the engine number be different than what was installed in the tractor at the factory, it would no doubt be a replacement. If that was the case, that hour meter probably was changed same time as the engine.
No apology necessary, I just wanted to clarify that it truly is in great shape mechanically and that I’m much less concerned with it’s appearance. I will definitely have to take a look at the serial numbers and model plaque especially because I’m curious to find out which year this model is. Once I look I’ll take pictures and reply with them!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Looks like there may be non-matching S/Ns? I don’t exactly know what to be looking for...

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts