Green Tractor Talk banner

Sometimes it not your fault

1356 Views 23 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  dan_m
Most men have received a thoughtful gift from a loved one as a young man. It's a gateway drug of tools... the battery powered drill driver set....whatever the color. And in appreciation of this you want them to see you use it...so you do. Then the impact set....which includes two batteries is on sale...well you've been needing an impact...so it starts.....then you could really use a sawz all for when a cord won't reach....clearly....and then boom....a sale on a drill/driver set which includes two batteries cheaper than you could buy the batteries separately ...clearly the second drill could be used for pilot holes and such and you only really bought it for the batteries....this is how it starts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
I'm confused. Why does buying tools need to be someone's fualf?
R/whoosh
Responses for when your wife complains :

1) Sure I can get the job done with only one drill. But then, It'd take me twice as long because I need to change between drill bit and driver bit. You already say I spend too much time in the shop.
2) Yes, the impact wrench looks like a drill, but they both do different things.
3) No this isn't a new tool, I bought it years ago. I don't use it often, that's why you don't remember seeing it. It's the only tool for this specific job.
4) It was on sale - like that skirt you bought in the middle of winter :oops:

Dan
Well nowadays I suppose we can both wear skirts in the shop...makes me fear the lathe a bit more but ok. Lol
“Sometimes it’s not your fault”. You’re not married? If you are, just accept the fact it’s always your fault.
Especially when you don't know what exactly is wrong.

Dan
“Sometimes it’s not your fault”. You’re not married? If you are, just accept the fact it’s always your fault.
Yes this is how it starts. The journey to happiness!!
Most men have received a thoughtful gift from a loved one as a young man. It's a gateway drug of tools... the battery powered drill driver set....whatever the color. And in appreciation of this you want them to see you use it...so you do. Then the impact set....which includes two batteries is on sale...well you've been needing an impact...so it starts.....then you could really use a sawz all for when a cord won't reach....clearly....and then boom....a sale on a drill/driver set which includes two batteries cheaper than you could buy the batteries separately ...clearly the second drill could be used for pilot holes and such and you only really bought it for the batteries....this is how it starts
I took a different approach. I bought - and keep buying so many tools and equipment, she can't keep track, so she just gave up and doesn't care anymore.

1) Sure I can get the job done with only one drill. But then, It'd take me twice as long because I need to change between drill bit and driver bit. You already say I spend too much time in the shop.

2) Yes, the impact wrench looks like a drill, but they both do different things.

3) No this isn't a new tool, I bought it years ago. I don't use it often, that's why you don't remember seeing it. It's the only tool for this specific job.

4) It was on sale - like that skirt you bought in the middle of winter 

Dan
First of all, you never start a project unless it requires at least one tool purchase. Then, to make sure that comes to fruition the new required tool is deemed necessary to complete the job safely. I find adding safely to the discussion always helps. Lastly, a simple cost benefit analysis proves the new tool pays for itself almost before you buy it.

If you ever feel any sense of guilt just check to see how many purses and pairs of shoes are in her closet.
This works. Still getting questions on the garden tractor but it does work for tools.

I took a different approach. I bought - and keep buying so many tools and equipment, she can't keep track, so she just gave up and doesn't care anymore.
If you ever feel any sense of guilt just check to see how many purses and pairs of shoes are in her closet.
No way. I know she doesn't buy expensive purses and shoes. There is no way a bunch of them costs what some tools costs. Of course if they do, then I don't know and thinking about it I am ok with not knowing.
every now and then buy her a new mixer, air fryer, vacumme etc.......i never hear a word about tools .......my tools ...her tools .....i fix stuff for her with my tools......she feeds me and cleans with hers......win win
I consider my tractors as tools. I started with one and I was always swapping out equipment. From a brush hog to a sod cutter to a disc to a planter for our food plots. From a log puller to a running gear to haul the logs to a log splitter to another running gear to haul the split wood. Now we have multiple tractors hook to multiple implements limiting down time. Some call it tractor fever, I call it "just a lot of fun."
I always look for a sale for the tool I need. Then I follow the purchase with "It's not how much I spent, it's how much I saved"
Big difference here...

Guys are thrilled when they receive a new tool as a Christmas gift, women no so thrilled if they get a new vacuum for Christmas.
every now and then buy her a new mixer, air fryer, vacumme etc.......i never hear a word about tools .......my tools ...her tools .....i fix stuff for her with my tools......she feeds me and cleans with hers......win win
My gal was thrilled to get new tools ...specific items included robot vacume...lightweight battery vacume....fancy mixer...etc.......maybe it depends on the gal....I have a fantastic gal....of course we are older and she over the years has more "girly" items like jewelry than she can wear etc
Big difference here...

Guys are thrilled when they receive a new tool as a Christmas gift, women no so thrilled if they get a new vacuum for Christmas.
Reactions: dan_m and Stevo3556
A couple hrs at the Cadillac dealership with her gets me years of tool purchases. Within reason of course :whistle:.
I just wish I could find a newer version of this...
Pneumatic tool Handheld power drill Drill Tool Hammer drill

Seems like someone would make something similar but I 've been looking for years and haven't been able to find one

It was a great drill, until the batteries stopped working. I bought 2 replacement batteries but gave up when they quickly stopped working.

The drill has a quick release chuck. You use the chuck portion to drill the pilot holes. Then you squeeze the orange buttons and it comes off, revealing an impact driver with whatever bit you put on to screw in the screws.

It was a really handy drill. You didn't have to switch bits or carry two drills. You just drill a hole, insert screw, pop end off, tighten screw, snap end back on, and move to the next hole.

I really miss that drill. :cry:

Edited for update:
So this thread got my looking again to see if anyone finally came out with something comparable to that old Black & Decker drill. Turns out Bosch, Dewalt, & Milwaukee offer a 5-in-1 drill. Who knew?
Now comes the hard part, deciding which one to buy. I'm leaning towards the Dewalt.
Reactions: Kbar and dan_m
You can rebuild the batteries yourself or send them out to be rebuilt. If you get quality cells, it's as good as original.
My wife never complains about tools, they built her shoe rack and are currently spinning the staircase around to where she wants it. I also restore homes so everything we have is because of tools.
She can also go out into the shop and know what is old or new. She works with me regularly and understands each tools purpose.
If a project seems to need a new tool she will actually suggest we buy one to use now and in the future.

4) It was on sale - like that skirt you bought in the middle of winter :oops:

Dan
1 - 20 of 24 Posts