Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is one of those times. A couple days ago I posted some video my wife took of me going to town on an old overgrown shrubbery bed. I did great, tearing out old overgrown bushes, poison ivy vines, etc. This morning I got back to work on it, carting off four full buckets of rocks and busted up concrete. The concrete...

This house was owned from 1901 - 1999 by one family. We bought it in '99. They lived here for about 70 of those years. The "baby", who was born in 1933 told me all about how her Dad owned a concrete mixer. I think they poured concrete for recreation. EVERYTHING, including the corncrib and the outhouse has either a concrete foundation or a stone and concrete foundation. This part of the yard must have yards of concrete.

At some point in the distant past, there was a wrought iron Victorian style fence running in front of the house and down along the side yard. Some drunk took out the stuff in front before we bought it, and we sold the rest to a neighbor trying to complete his own fence in the house up the road where members of the same family had lived. This fence was set in enough concrete to launch a Saturn V rocket. The above ground portion was somewhat decorative at some point, but had become nothing more than a place for poison ivy and other weeds to germinate. So I started taking it out.

Today, after removing all the rocks and chunks of concrete, I found more. Worse, I found remnants of the old fence where the drunk had torn it up. Three bits of wrought iron were sticking up out of the ground. I painted them to make them easier to spot as I worked. I kept digging further and further out, only to encounter more concrete. And they used a rich mix, lemme tell you. I finally gave up. I was able to bend the bigger pieces over, and the littlest one should be fine. I figure I can put 5-7” of new dirt over them and make sure plants go over so I don’t encounter them years from now with the mower. But I am tired of (trying to) dig it.

31160034-F19A-4CDC-93D4-BD7C356A4D59.jpeg

2A5EAA45-8E4B-42B0-9C6D-2AC0919ED576.jpeg

AB0BD0DD-2B1C-4F01-BABF-93429FD37321.jpeg

ADA2EB62-1D8E-4E40-B98A-C64BEFD90A0E.jpeg

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
That doesn’t look like a good time at all. Good thing you found the wrought iron remnants before your tires did! Good luck moving forward.

·
Super Moderator
5,544 Posts
Bill, a tooth bar would be really good for stuff like that!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Excavator. Ask me how I know. Anyway, I did a job last year with a guy from Atlanta, and he told me over the past couple years people were buying property with buried trash on it all over the state

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That doesn’t look like a good time at all. Good thing you found the wrought iron remnants before your tires did! Good luck moving forward.
Yeah, really. They’re going to be buried and plants installed to make sure that even if they resurface I should be able to avoid them.

Bill, a tooth bar would be really good for stuff like that!:thumbup1gif:
I’ve got a Ratchet Rake, but I think a tooth bar is in the works.

Looking at that mess, I'd think that a jack hammer might be the best tool for the job. Good Luck with it.
Agreed. A jackhammer on the front end of a skid steer! I spent two days jackhammering the back steps with a 90lb machine a number of years ago. I got about half of the pile of concrete demolished, enough for the contractor to put new stairs in. This stuff is getting buried.

Excavator. Ask me how I know. Anyway, I did a job last year with a guy from Atlanta, and he told me over the past couple years people were buying property with buried trash on it all over the state
The house I grew up in was built in the 1860s. Whoever lived there back in the day had their own private landfill. Apparently it was common.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The house I grew up in was built in the 1860s. Whoever lived there back in the day had their own private landfill. Apparently it was common.
More common than you would think. When my wife and I bought our property we spent the weekends of the first year just digging up old TVs, bed springs, refridgerators, wine bottles, mirrors, cans and oil drums, and other household garbage and taking it to the dump. Even now, twenty-five years later we still find crap coming to the surface. No pun intended, but even a kitchen sink......

·
Premium Member
9,280 Posts
I'd take a cut off wheel and get as much of that wrought iron cut off before burying, just a thought.
What he said. :good2:

Dang, that is a lot of concrete.

·
Registered
640 Posts
More common than you would think. When my wife and I bought our property we spent the weekends of the first year just digging up old TVs, bed springs, refridgerators, wine bottles, mirrors, cans and oil drums, and other household garbage and taking it to the dump. Even now, twenty-five years later we still find crap coming to the surface. No pun intended, but even a kitchen sink......
Two days ago I was digging up a stump with the BH and dug up a rug.........no kidding.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd take a cut off wheel and get as much of that wrought iron cut off before burying, just a thought.
I just bought some for another job, so I may give it a try.

What he said. :good2:

Dang, that is a lot of concrete.
It is. These people loved their concrete.

Two days ago I was digging up a stump with the BH and dug up a rug.........no kidding.
Yikes! You’d think something like that would rot. I guess if it’s newer material, it would take a long time though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts