Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to let any of you that love music like I do - that is, most of it - that Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters are hosting an 8 show series on HBO called "Sonic Highways" where they travel to 8 iconic US studios - Austin, LA, Nashville, Seattle, NY, Chicago, DC, and New Orleans - and record one song for their new album. Their portion of the hour is about 10%, and the other 90% is a very thoughtful history and take on the culture of that city's scene. I just watched the one from Nashville - amazing.

Just FYI.

-J.

ps - Dolly Parton was REALLY PRETTY in the 70's........

Registered
Wanted to let any of you that love music like I do - that is, most of it - that Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters are hosting an 8 show series on HBO called "Sonic Highways" where they travel to 8 iconic US studios - Austin, LA, Nashville, Seattle, NY, Chicago, DC, and New Orleans - and record one song for their new album. Their portion of the hour is about 10%, and the other 90% is a very thoughtful history and take on the culture of that city's scene. I just watched the one from Nashville - amazing.

Just FYI.

-J.

ps - Dolly Parton was REALLY PRETTY in the 70's........
She still is for those of us who are her age or older. As Gizmo would write, "just sayin":laugh:

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
She still is for those of us who are her age or older. As Gizmo would write, "just sayin":laugh:
Emmy Lou Harris was on there as well. She's still very pretty....... a lot less flashy, but a very pretty lady.

-J.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have cable. What's a Foo Fighter, anyway :lol:
Oh dear......

You may or may not like their music, but Dave Grohl is a very cool and thoughtful guy.

I too hope it'll be on DVD or iTunes.... "iTunes" is something from the future..... Don't worry about trying to use it unless you have a DeLorean and 1.7GW of energy.....

I wish they had gone to Detroit for a Motown episode.

-J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
The term originated back during WWII when airmen saw an unknown object in the air...commonly known today as UFOs. The Airmen dubbed them "Foo Fighters"; presumably because they couldn't label them friend or enemy or otherwise identify them.

http://www.unmuseum.org/foo.htm

Registered
I wanted to ask the same question, but I thought it might date me. Thanks, Tonton.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, there's two ways to look at this:

1. You're a young punk and you don't know the original meaning

Or....

2. You're an old fart and you don't know who The Foo Fighters are.......

I'm somewhere in between.....

Dave Grohl (the lead singer) is an interesting character. I'd say one who has changed music forever. He was the drummer for nirvana before Cobain died, played with pearl jam, and was asked to join Tom petty (I bet you know who that is, ) as a drummer. He played every instrument in the first foo fighters album.

He's a funny dude, and hosted "Chelsea Lately" for a week while she was away. He's also a really nice guy.

-J.

Registered
Well, there's two ways to look at this:

1. You're a young punk and you don't know the original meaning

Or....

2. You're an old fart and you don't know who The Foo Fighters are.......

I'm somewhere in between.....

Dave Grohl (the lead singer) is an interesting character. I'd say one who has changed music forever. He was the drummer for nirvana before Cobain died, played with pearl jam, and was asked to join Tom petty (I bet you know who that is, ) as a drummer. He played every instrument in the first foo fighters album.

He's a funny dude, and hosted "Chelsea Lately" for a week while she was away. He's also a really nice guy.

-J.

I am proud to be number 2.:laugh:

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Saw another very cool show last night about the music history of Muscle Shoals, Alabama - wow!! I had no idea!!!

I have to be honest, I didn't even know MS was a place until then. I just thought it was an obscure lyric in Sweet Home Alabama that I was either hearing wrong, or had a meaning that I didn't understand.....apologies to the Southerners on here....

Amazing what influence that little town has had on what we listen too, and how it brought together so many different genres, and crushed the race barrier, even if it was only for a little while.

-J.

Did a "saw" it, or "seen" it??

Registered
Boy, is that a load off my mind! Whenever I heard "Foo Fighters" mentioned on the radio I wondered what a motorcycle gang was doing in pop music... Now I realize I should have been thinking "Booze Fighters" A.K.A original "Hell's Angels".

No banjo, no fiddle, no Hydro, no foo!:laugh:

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well Harold, head to YouTube and search "the Grohl sessions" and you'll get your banjo AND fiddle.

That crazy biker man Dave Grohl spent a few days days working with the Zac Brown Band last year.....

I don't think they did any hydro work though, sorry....

-J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts