Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used www.fakespot.com ?

You paste-in the URL of a product on Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy and several others and it will analyze the reviews and give an assessment on the likelihood of deceptive reviews along with other information. Interesting...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've been using it for a couple years now. Can't really comment on the accuracy. I have the extension installed for Chrome and everything I look at on Amazon has a rating that automatically appears. I'll use it a a reference and dig deeper into the reviews if I'm interested in something that has a low score.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Fake and deceptive reviews are bad enough, but I'm also finding more and more that when I'm trying to see reviews for a specific product, they have lumped all reviews together for anything remotely similar, especially for something that has different models or versions. :banghead:

·
Registered
680 Posts
I like to read the 3 and 4 star reviews. One star could be sour grapes, and fan boys will give 5. Numbers count too though. A 100 five stars can't all be wrong.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I try to find reviews written after using a product for months, or even better, a year. They’re as rare as chicken lips though. I can’t stand the ones that give five stars because it came in a pretty box, "looks cool although I haven’t used it yet", etc.

·
Registered
21,940 Posts
I try to find reviews written after using a product for months, or even better, a year. They’re as rare as chicken lips though. I can’t stand the ones that give five stars because it came in a pretty box, "looks cool although I haven’t used it yet", etc.
So many start with “I haven’t used it yet, but....”

Almost as stupid as unboxing videos.....

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
Beware the affiliate marketers. Some folks do a good job of it, some don’t. When you’re reading a website full of reviews and Amazon links, you’re probably on an affiliate marketer site. These folks make a commission by acting as salesmen for amazon or other retailers. Lots of youtubers do this as well, myself included. GTT did it at one point many years ago with the “amazon tool store”. A lot of these websites that are strictly reviews never even own the products, they read other reviews and make up their own info from that. If you want to see how worthless pretty much every internet review is, start researching affiliate marketing for amazon and you may be very surprised at how many trusted websites are simply shills.

I like video reviews or forum posts. Forums rarely come up on a google search for reviews because the marketers know how to optimize and keep their pages at the front of google, so YouTube is often going to be a better way to see products perform. Even if the guy making the video is simply trying to sell it, you still get to see the product in action. Usually.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
So many start with “I haven’t used it yet, but....”

Almost as stupid as unboxing videos.....
How 'bout it!?! I get bored on Christmas morning watching people get stuff out of boxes. I’m not gonna watch a stranger ooh and ahh over the excellent packing job. :crazy:

·
Registered
21,940 Posts
How 'bout it!?! I get bored on Christmas morning watching people get stuff out of boxes. I’m not gonna watch a stranger ooh and ahh over the excellent packing job.

And what's really funny - I watched someone unbox a printer. Of course they were holding their phone in one hand. They could hardly get the tape cut let alone get the printer out of the box with one hand.

That was many years ago when I first starting looking online for stuff. I think that is why I have such a bad attitude toward youtube - I just don't trust any "advise" given on that platform after seeing stuff like that.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Believe it or not, I actually found a helpful "unboxing video". :laugh: When I bought my Harbor Freight rolling tool cabinet, I found a video showing some guy unboxing his. Since it showed how it was packed, I knew what and where to cut and was able to get that monster out of the box by myself.

:bigthumb:

20181201_161720_1569016001304_resized.jpg

20181201_161403_1569016003720_resized.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts