Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to ad a soundbar & sub woofer. to my 55" TV so I settled on a Klipsch RSB-6 bar & sub. I'm still fooling around with it but I do like it overall & it fits my needs & budget. The one problem I have is that when I'm watching a movie coming into the TV off the Satellite system, the soundbar will go silent for maybe a second, & then come back on. When it comes back on it can go for 5-10 minutes or longer, but at some point it will go off again for about a second. The cycle of On-Off will keep repeating itself. It happens on every channel. On some channels it's more frequent than on others.

If I am watching a movie from the DVD player, I have no sound loss at all & it works great. I'm not sure what causes the short sound loss when I'm on the Satellite system. I've submitted a "ticket" for assistance with my question to Klipsch & I am waiting for a reply.

Interesting however, I see on a Google search, there are a lot of people with the same complaint as I have & with other brands of soundbars. A lot of people are complaining about there Samsung soundbars doing the same thing. Does anyone know what causes this problem. It appears to be present in a lot of brands & setups. For me, It's not too bad, but it is annoying especially when cars are crashing with Jason Bourn behind the wheel.:munch:

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
It might be your satellite HDMI out. I don't have a sound bar, but rather a 5.2 surround driven by a big Pioneer Elite receiver. I've had a couple of times where this was happening. It's sorted itself out now, and I don't know why it was happening.

If you can use old school RCA's instead of the HDMI, that may be a way to test if it's the HDMI that's the issue.

-J.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Is there any correlation between when the sound drops and what's happening on screen? A common scenario with broadcast programming is that the audio encoding on a show is different than a commercial. When the programming transitions between the two, the audio system may have to "change" to accommodate the new encoding of audio content.

If it's happening mid-show, that's a problem.

How is your soundbar connected? TOSLINK or HDMI? If HDMI, is it using ARC? ARC is known to be problematic and you could try an reasonably inexpensive ($15-ish) TOSLINK cable instead to see if helps.

My setup is 5.1 with a Pioneer Elite receiver. I have my DirecTV box connected direct to the receiver and everything else connected to the TV. When watching DirecTV programming, the receiver decodes everything directly. When I switch inputs, it detects the audio being received over a TOSLINK cable from the TV and switches automatically.

It works out well for me to be connected like that because my receiver is "hidden" in a closet and there is no on screen display.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I have a yamaha sound bar connected to the TV via optic cable and the satellite box connected to the TV via RCA. No issues here with sound outages. The picture will sometimes be dark for about 5 seconds when switching channels but the sound is always there right away.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,135 Posts
I have not had any luck with sound bars, with two anyway.
Surround sound with amp or nothing.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I have a yamaha sound bar connected to the TV via optic cable and the satellite box connected to the TV via RCA. No issues here with sound outages. The picture will sometimes be dark for about 5 seconds when switching channels but the sound is always there right away.
You aren't getting more enhanced audio encoding with RCA connectors on the Sat box - it's pure stereo and nothing more. That's maybe why your audio is quicker than the video in channel switching situations.

BTW... five seconds with no video is LONG time. :)

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I have not had any luck with sound bars, with two anyway.
Surround sound with amp or nothing.
I bought a basic one from LG about four years ago or so. Just a stereo bar with a sub. It actually worked quite well.

When the TV died and I replaced it with a much nicer one, I wanted to step up the audio as well. I tried a Samsung that supported wireless rear speakers for full surround, and it was absolutely awful. I dug out the old Pioneer Elite SC-27 and set up the full home audio again and even bought a quality subwoofer for the first time in my life.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
You aren't getting more enhanced audio encoding with RCA connectors on the Sat box - it's pure stereo and nothing more. That's maybe why your audio is quicker than the video in channel switching situations.

BTW... five seconds with no video is LONG time. :)
True dat....it was mentioned earlier to test with the RCA jacks I was only hoping to contribute a little to that side of the equation. RCA's outputs are all our satellite box has on it....it is OLD.....i think it it the version just after the hand crank model!

well....5 seconds seems like forever when you switch to a sport event and the announcers are going crazy over something and ya got no picture!! Other than that, its no big deal and they show replays anyway so you never really miss anything. It's weird it doesn't happen very often, maybe two or three times a week, no weather or time of day consistencies.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,135 Posts
I bought a basic one from LG about four years ago or so. Just a stereo bar with a sub. It actually worked quite well.

When the TV died and I replaced it with a much nicer one, I wanted to step up the audio as well. I tried a Samsung that supported wireless rear speakers for full surround, and it was absolutely awful. I dug out the old Pioneer Elite SC-27 and set up the full home audio again and even bought a quality subwoofer for the first time in my life.
We have a full Sony surround system connected to our big TV in the living room/play room/exercise room. I think we were spoiled. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
We have a full Sony surround system connected to our big TV in the living room/play room/exercise room. I think we were spoiled. :dunno:
You maybe......the wife not so much!! :mocking: :lol:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I dug out the old Pioneer Elite SC-27 and set up the full home audio again and even bought a quality subwoofer for the first time in my life.
I tried putting the classic Onkyo receiver in the entertainment center but it wouldn't fit so the doors would close, way too deep! That is when i updated to a yamaha sound bar a couple months ago. Also got a CD / DVD / Bluray player at the same time, much simpler cabling than what was in there. Moved the other stuff to the basement for my enjoyment.

Initially I had the sound bar under the TV shelf in the center, sound was bad, thought i had made a mistake getting it. Moved it to on top of the center and it was a huuuuge improvement even to my poor hearing.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I tried putting the classic Onkyo receiver in the entertainment center but it wouldn't fit so the doors would close, way too deep! That is when i updated to a yamaha sound bar a couple months ago. Also got a CD / DVD / Bluray player at the same time, much simpler cabling than what was in there. Moved the other stuff to the basement for my enjoyment.

Initially I had the sound bar under the TV shelf in the center, sound was bad, thought i had made a mistake getting it. Moved it to on top of the center and it was a huuuuge improvement even to my poor hearing.
Good point on placement.

My LG soundbar was positioned immediately above the TV and things sounds good. The Samsung was in the same place and sound was very muffled and poor.

Setting up the full surround system, I positioned a set of bookshelf speakers on the floor because I didn't have stands / shelves and they sounded awful - worse than the Samsung soundbar. I picked them up off of the floor and set them on stands and the sound was immensely better.

If sound from a soundbar is poor, it may be worth A) repositioning it, at least temporarily and B) checking to see if there are settings for the soundbar to modify sound output based on location. My TV, as a not-really-directly-related example, has two modes of operation for the internal speakers that are based on being placed on a stand versus being mounted on the wall. It changes the output mode based on whether there is something directly below the TV (or directly behind the TV) to reflect sound. It's possible that new soundbars may have settings to dictate being placed above versus below a TV.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Don't most of the soundbars have a mic that comes with them to "learn" the room and their placement via an auto sequence of beep and boop sounds??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,135 Posts
Don't most of the soundbars have a mic that comes with them to "learn" the room and their placement via an auto sequence of beep and boop sounds??
The 2 we bought didn't. The Sony Surround did.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, most do not. Some of them are capable of going through a "Setup" process to validate sound levels of the individual speakers and make adjustments accordingly, but that's not common at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts