Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody point me to a supplier or source of decent drill bits? Not looking for a huge set. Something as small as 1/8 to 3/8 in 1/16 increments would be fine.

·
Administrator
20,489 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've had good luck with Drill-Hog bits at work.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Are you interested in just a one-time buy of a small set of bits for occasional use in wood and metal? Your stipulation is wanting to buy buy a set of 5 bits, total - 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8. Or, are you a frequent user of drill bits who will need to replace bits often as you wear them out? I'm assuming you don't sharpen bits. And if all you need are 5 drill bits, I'd say just go to Lowes and pick up a 5 piece set of Irwin bits.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Artu makes good bits, especially if you are drilling hardened or old metal. Also Irwin/Hanson still makes some decent bits. The step point bits (not sure the technical name) work well. Both have small index sets. Hard to find a decent drill index now a days, they all come in sets with a bunch of useless #3 Phillips or something.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: KeyboardJungle

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
People buy drill bits? I get some of my bits, taps and saw blades from my employer. It’s kinda weird. They send “ consumables “ out to most jobs , and when the job is done that stuff is free for us to take, as they claim it’s cheaper to throw it out than to send it back for restocking.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you interested in just a one-time buy of a small set of bits for occasional use in wood and metal? Your stipulation is wanting to buy buy a set of 5 bits, total - 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8. Or, are you a frequent user of drill bits who will need to replace bits often as you wear them out? I'm assuming you don't sharpen bits. And if all you need are 5 drill bits, I'd say just go to Lowes and pick up a 5 piece set of Irwin bits.
I have a couple of small projects on the drawing boards and need to drill about half dozen holes in 1/4 aluminum plate and a couple in 3/4 steel. My cheapie set was having trouble with the steel. I'm looking for something that is worth hanging onto after I'm done.

·
Registered
734 Posts

·
Registered
2020 1025R
170 Posts
I have had decent luck with these. Most of the usage has been drilling out 7075 aluminum in my mill and occasional use to make pilot holes in wood projects. I even used a 3/8" to hog out some holes in 3/16" angle iron. I haven't broken one or thought any of them have gotten dull yet. I used to just get the cheapo sets from harborfreight. Those never lasted very long.

Best,

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have bought several sets of Milwaukee on sale at Home Depot w/my veterans discount added for cheap money and they have worked for me, I am not always nice to my drill bits. I invested in a drill doctor a long time ago and it has saved me many many times on completing a job and not having to run out and buy some new, highly recommend

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was at Lowe's today and picked up this set. Made in USA from foreign material...

That was before I saw the two votes for the Milwaukee sets from HD. What do you all think? Take them back and get the Milwaukee set?

D00A27AB-7BDC-42C6-B045-7A79E1586FE8.jpeg

D00A27AB-7BDC-42C6-B045-7A79E1586FE8.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I have all Milwaukee bits because I wanted bits that would last. They are not cheap, but they are quality made as is all Milwaukee tools. If you don't recognize the brand on those drill bits, they might not be the wisest choice.

Dave

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I think Milwaukee is not like it was 40-50 years ago when I started buying them and certainly not all made in America anymore. I often wonder if 85-90% of things aren't made in the same factory with different colored packaging before they get crated for the long boat ride.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I suggested the set above because they are Cobalt and rated for stainless steel use. I don't actually have any experience with them but I've been wanting a basic set of Cobalt bits so I ordered that set for myself. I also ordered a 5/8" Drills America Cobalt bit.

I have a 1/2" Bosch Cobalt bit and it has been great so far.

I often find myself drilling bed frame angle iron and if you have tried it you know how fast it will dull a bit. It's some hard steel!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have had my Huot boxes and Chicago-Latrobe HSS drill bits for near 30 years, buying them as an apprentice tool and die maker. The price hurt at the time.. and hurt bad.... Many of the bits have been replaced, by C-L units, but most often they get sharpened and used until they are stubs and the center web is too narrow to spade thru material. I learned early on that there is a time and place to spend money... if you know you will be using it once, or for a very specific job... buy the least expensive tool to perform the job. If you know that that tool will be used for many projects or jobs... buy the absolute best you can afford.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I was at Lowe's today and picked up this set. Made in USA from foreign material...

That was before I saw the two votes for the Milwaukee sets from HD. What do you all think? Take them back and get the Milwaukee set?
Heck no, don't take them back. If you are like me, you will misplace the size bit you need for an urgent task, and spares will come in handy even if they aren't top of the line.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts