Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We attended this show just before my vision went screwy. I was having problems on and off that day so we left early and didn't stay for all the demonstrations. But it was very enjoyable in spite of my problems. Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some more pictures:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next group:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few more:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,650 Posts
Some more pictures:

Has anybody on this forum helped to load hay with one of these in their younger days. my grand dad had two and used both of them. I drove the tractor.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I have spent many hours behind the crank of a cider press just like that one in the picture. Family used to head to Eastern Washington and fill the hay truck up with apples and grind and press for a day. We had neighbors lined up around the block to get a gallon of fresh cider. I'll never forget one old timer asking me if I was checking the apples for worms. I said nah that just adds to the pulp. He was not too pleased with my answer, I was about six years old. He still drank it though.

Reactions: Uncle Wayne

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some more pictures:

Has anybody on this forum helped to load hay with one of these in their younger days. my grand dad had two and used both of them. I drove the tractor.
Big Jim, my granddad had one but I never got to help him but my dad did.

They had just finished the demonstration when we arrived at this show so I never got to see it work. The owner walked me thru it though and I really enjoyed his explanation.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have spent many hours behind the crank of a cider press just like that one in the picture. Family used to head to Eastern Washington and fill the hay truck up with apples and grind and press for a day. We had neighbors lined up around the block to get a gallon of fresh cider. I'll never forget one old timer asking me if I was checking the apples for worms. I said nah that just adds to the pulp. He was not too pleased with my answer, I was about six years old. He still drank it though.
Funny and a great memory. There was a little of a debate at the press when I walked up. At the demonstration they weren't stripping the cane before running it through the press. A couple of guys were saying they always stripped their cane before pressing it. A lively but friendly discussion was very interesting.

In our area, the Amish are big sugar cane producers. Some of them don't strip their cane and I can tell the difference in the taste of the molasses compared with those that do.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Funny and a great memory. There was a little of a debate at the press when I walked up. At the demonstration they weren't stripping the cane before running it through the press. A couple of guys were saying they always stripped their cane before pressing it. A lively but friendly discussion was very interesting.

In our area, the Amish are big sugar cane producers. Some of them don't strip their cane and I can tell the difference in the taste of the molasses compared with those that do.
Oh...... that was a cane processor? Looks an awful lot like a cider press in the pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh...... that was a cane processor? Looks an awful lot like a cider press in the pictures.
No, you're right. I forgot about the cider press being there. Sorry about that memory loss but it happens with me more and more lately.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts