Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Held near Hartselle, Alabama and this was the first time I've attended. A small show but lots of interest locally with trailer after trailer of tractor and antique car parts for sale. Actually had more antique cars than tractors. I didn't do my usual take a picture of every tractor because almost every time I took a picture, the owner tried to sell me the tractor! I'll include some that you may enjoy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Round two:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Round 3:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Round 4:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,174 Posts
Great Pictures!

Thanks for posting them!

·
Administrator
20,984 Posts
UW, in round 4 there's some pictures of some harvester made out of a Farm-all. Is it set up to run backwards? Is it factory or a custom one-of? Then there's the 3 wheeled low riding machine? What is that?

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
UW, in round 4 there's some pictures of some harvester made out of a Farm-all. Is it set up to run backwards? Is it factory or a custom one-of? Then there's the 3 wheeled low riding machine? What is that?
I'm betting it's a cotton picker. They were designed to drive "backwards", if you look close you'll see a steering wheel above the drive tires. Easier to see where the front of the machine was while turning, and fit the row better.

·
Administrator
20,984 Posts
I'm betting it's a cotton picker. They were designed to drive "backwards", if you look close you'll see a steering wheel above the drive tires. Easier to see where the front of the machine was while turning, and fit the row better.
That was my guess, but how did they change the gearing? Shurely it wouldn't have just the one forward gear would it? It looks rather home-built. Pretty cool.

And what about the 3 wheeler smarty pants? Any guesses there?

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Don't know about the gearing on the picker. I'm not convinced it is homemade, I've seen several over the years that looked very similar. It certainly could be, and they just copied a factory example.

As for the three wheeler, it says David Bradley. They made garden tractors, and were known for their walk behind tractors. Imagine a modern rear tine, self propelled garden tiller, but the tiller would come off and you could use other attachments. As for what exactly the thing in the picture is, I'm not sure. :unknown:

·
Administrator
20,984 Posts
Don't know about the gearing on the picker. I'm not convinced it is homemade, I've seen several over the years that looked very similar. It certainly could be, and they just copied a factory example.
Still pretty cool. It would be interesting to see it operate up close.

As for the three wheeler, it says David Bradley. They made garden tractors, and were known for their walk behind tractors. Imagine a modern rear tine, self propelled garden tiller, but the tiller would come off and you could use other attachments. As for what exactly the thing in the picture is, I'm not sure. :unknown:
Ha! I didn't see that the first time I looked at the pics from my phone. Thanks for pointing that out.:laugh:

David Bradley made a lot of walk-behind tractors, but I don't think they were as popular as the Gravely tractors. I've never seen a 3-wheeler small tractor like that one before. I imagine it's pretty rare.

I love seeing old operating equipment.:greentractorride:

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Great pictures, Uncle Wayne. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Thanks for the pics! :thumbup1gif:

It'll be a couple months before show season around here! ~~ Lowell

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My uncle had a one row cotton picker just like this one. The cotton picker was removable, similar to a camper that fits in the bed of a truck. It fit on his H Farmall just like this one. And it had only one speed, which was reverse, that it used while picking cotton. He used his H to break up the ground, cut up the ground and plant the cotton. He put on the cultivator on and plowed it until the cotton was "laid by." Then at harvest time he would put the cotton picker back on the H and pick his and several other cotton fields in the area. Farming was much simpler in those days.

The owner of this particular picker said he had used it each year since 1977 to pick cotton.

There was never anyone around the David Bradley 3 wheeled tractor(?) that I could ask about it. Everyone around was asking the same questions you've asked.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We had a John Deere 22 one row cotton picker that mounted on a 730, the tires were reversed as well as the transmission.
They reversed a gear in the input to the transmission, watched it do once, but that was too long ago to remember what they did. The gear selector worked the same, had all six gears, worked just fine, just everything was reversed. A sprocket was attached to the steering wheel and connected to a shat that went under the platform of the picker and was connected to the steering wheel via chain and another set of sprockets. Sounds complicated, but when you see it all connected it was quite simple. I picked many a bail of cotton with it, that was my favorite time of the year!

Joe:usa

1 - 14 of 14 Posts