Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so where I am right now is I have a 3046R + box blade + landscape rake. I've leveled out the yard very nicely with the box blade, have been going over it with the landscape rake in the "backwards" position now. I've got 50 yards of soil/compost/sand being delivered on Tuesday (We are renovating about 14,000 sq ft) and a new irrigation system being installed this week. Soil here is a sandy loam - I could've easily planted seed without the topdressing but I figured I've come this far I may as well make sure this seed gets what it needs.

My plan for seeding is to spread out the topdressing, spread the seed, and then try to lightly rake the yard with the landscape rake (still in the backwards position obviously). Would that be too damaging/aggressive to the seed at all? I could probably do it with the back of a rake, but you know, it's a lot of sq ft for manual labor. 😎 I'm also worried that the weight of the 3046R would be too much?

Thoughts? I guess my question is, after spreading the seed, tractor or no tractor?

·
Premium Member
10,358 Posts
Something might be wrong with my math but 50 yards spread evenly over 14,000 ft.² would be 1.1” deep. The tractor and the landscape rake are going to leave the same finish you have now only because the landscape rake will easily break up the compacted 1 inch. I would suspect this is not your plan though.

If the soil is going in certain areas a few inches deep I would test it but I think the tractor will be too heavy and a gator with a drag might serve you better.

Reactions: ClydeLogan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something might be wrong with my math but 50 yards is 1350 Cu feet.

Spread evenly, 14,000 ft.² would be .096“ deep. The tractor and the landscape rake are going to leave the same finish you have now. I would suspect this is not your plan though.

If the soil is going in certain areas a couple inches deep I would test it but I think the tractor will be too heavy and a gator with a drag might serve you better.
I don't understand the math they use to calculate how much I need, but if you and I were doing it ourselves we'd have a mountain of dirt at my place on Tuesday. :LOL: Also I misspoke, I ordered enough for 0.5" of covering.. I was initially going to order 50. I really just want some extra nutrients and such to help the seed along because our soil is actually very good around here and the lawn is more or less leveled so there shouldn't be any areas that the topdressing is falling into oblivion as I spread it. As long as the compost remains in the vicinity of the seeds that's what I'm most concerned about.

I think it's a good idea to test a patch first though and see how it goes and how deep the seeds end up. After all this work it would be a shame to obliterate the seed at the last step of the process.

(Edit: It seems that your calculation was still using cubic feet - just needed to divide by 27)

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would spread the seed, then the top dressing. Or if you put the seed on last, you should lightly roll it to get the seed into the soil. The best place for the seed is under the soil. I wouldn’t rake it after the seed is down though.

·
Registered
669 Posts
not sure where you are but around here if you do not blow straw over the whole thing it is a waste of time and money
seed only needs ground contact so dragging the whole thing again might be over kill.
I know we all want to play work on our tractors but sometimes we over think it.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Do you have recent results of a soil test? Not the big box store kit, but one by an agricultural lab. Where I live it costs $15 by mailer from the state's ag school (Clemson) and should be your starting point before adding and amending. What zone are you in and what seed are you using? Is all the 14000 square feet irrigated?

·
Premium Member
10,358 Posts
The area where my truck is parked is part of 2.5 acres we did a few years ago. You can see the dividing line of our lawn and pasture. Straw would be a great idea but it’s too big an area. Like yours the soil was decent and we did not top dress it. We chisel plowed it perhaps 6 inches deep and then disked a few times. Followed up with the field drag and then used a farmers drill to put seed down. We did have to spray for weeds and straw would have helped with that but it creates it’s own issues, cost, matting and blowing away. If there’s something growing there before the seeds will grow.

Sky Plant Natural landscape Tire Tree

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not sure where you are but around here if you do not blow straw over the whole thing it is a waste of time and money
seed only needs ground contact so dragging the whole thing again might be over kill.
I know we all want to play work on our tractors but sometimes we over think it.
The dragging would be in lieu of covering with straw so I don’t have birds from the entire state eating my grass in the morning - just something I had seen guys do with hand rakes to cover up the seed. Actually did straw over the whole thing by hand last year (prior to having the tractor and leveling the yard) and never again was such a pain - I’m also still finding straw places. 😂

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have recent results of a soil test? Not the big box store kit, but one by an agricultural lab. Where I live it costs $15 by mailer from the state's ag school (Clemson) and should be your starting point before adding and amending. What zone are you in and what seed are you using? Is all the 14000 square feet irrigated?
I have the Cornell classic mix from preferred seed, is a bluegrass mix.I actually grew it on the same area but then decided I wanted to level it because it was giving me whiplash to mow. I’m in Wisconsin. The seed did really well last year with just starter fertilizer - was green and healthy right up until it met its fate with the box blade.

·
Registered
2019 JD 4052M Hydro, JD 400E Loader, Frontier AP12F Forks, Frontier BB2072 Box Blade, RC2072
467 Posts
Driving over the seeded ground with the tractor is no problem. If you ask grandpa (typical old wise farmer), he’ll tell you that packing the soil after seeding grass will actually help the grass take off better. A couple years ago we tried something different with a soybean food plot by disking it, spreading the beans with a spreader, disking it again and then packing it with the tractor and fourwheeler. It worked very well. This spring we did some dirt work and at the end we tilled it with a 3033R and 5’ tiller, spread seed and fertilizer, went over it multiple times with a 5’ spike tooth harrow behind a fourwheeler, then strawed. The grass came up and took very well. So to answer your question, using the landscape rake to incorporate the seed is not a problem, and should work great, according to my past experience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts