Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like my DeWalt miter saw, what I don't like is how much space it takes up behind it. I want to build a miter station/bench for it along the wall, but I don't want it to take up half of the barn, it's got to go.

20180616_215222 (1).jpg

I'm not totally sure I need a slider, but for the sake of this post, let's say i do. Does anyone have any experience with one of the saws that doesn't take up so much space to the rear?

Here's a Bosch:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-15-Amp-Corded-10-in-Dual-Bevel-Sliding-Glide-Miter-Saw-with-60-Tooth-Carbide-Saw-Blade-CM10GD/204668975

Delta:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-10-in-Dual-Bevel-Sliding-Cruzer-Miter-Saw-26-2240/303333588

Festool:
https://smile.amazon.com/Festool-561287-Kapex-Sliding-Compound/dp/B002MYMVWM?sa-no-redirect=1

I threw in the Festool, but it's a no go due to price. Any experience with one of these and would one be better than the other? I want to build something like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Last I looked the Bosch gets highest ratings. It's the one I plan to get once my Dewalt decides on retirement.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I like my DeWalt miter saw, what I don't like is how much space it takes up behind it. I want to build a miter station/bench for it along the wall, but I don't want it to take up half of the barn, it's got to go.

View attachment 639898

I'm not totally sure I need a slider, but for the sake of this post, let's say i do. Does anyone have any experience with one of the saws that doesn't take up so much space to the rear?

Here's a Bosch:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-15-Amp-Corded-10-in-Dual-Bevel-Sliding-Glide-Miter-Saw-with-60-Tooth-Carbide-Saw-Blade-CM10GD/204668975

Delta:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-10-in-Dual-Bevel-Sliding-Cruzer-Miter-Saw-26-2240/303333588

Festool:
https://smile.amazon.com/Festool-561287-Kapex-Sliding-Compound/dp/B002MYMVWM?sa-no-redirect=1

I threw in the Festool, but it's a no go due to price. Any experience with one of these and would one be better than the other? I want to build something like this:

View attachment 639900

The Bosch is by far the best sliding saw from a space standpoint. I looked at them but wasn't as concerned with the space for my miter saw. I based my decision on the Jay Bates Miter Station on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzLR4Z5y7QY. I am still finishing my workstation but absolutely love it.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
dewalt makes one of the best miter saws on the market. I don’t think you’ll be happy with a lesser saw. I get to use many different tools at work. The dewalt sliding miter saw is my favorite over any other brand I have used.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I finally decided on this configuration, with the Dewalt at an angle. The shop vac and sawdust collection system is behind the deepest space, but easy to get to when necessary by sliding the left extension arm into the stand. Tools I rarely use hang there also. On the right side are my clamps - easy to reach. The stand is angled so that a long board can extend into the doorway to the right, so I can cut 16 foot boards when I need to.

saw.jpg

·
Premium Member
15,351 Posts
When I replaced my 10" miter saw , looked at sliding 12" and I just couldn't see the reason for buying a slider . Yes , I know there are times but so far going from a 10" to 12" been happy with the Hitachi . :dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
580 Posts
You tossed it in so I'll comment.
I have the Festool.

I had to buy a electric sander at one point, the pneumatic ones required more air than was available at a jobsite.
I was sanding/polishing stone inside so I wanted to minimize the dust. So I bought the Festool vac and an electric sander.
BEST vac I have ever had, hepa filter, ZERO dust. My old shop vacs sucked up the dust but when you looked at the vac it looked like half of it was getting blown back out in to the room. Plus they never had half of the suction. My wife got a hold of the vac, she loves it, I have to fight her to get it back in my shop. Lots of suction and no dust plus it attaches to the sanders and other tools. The sander has been great, I've used it to polish stone, sand wood, rusty metal all sorts of stuff. Its great to be able to sand and not fight to see thru dust clouds.

Yes its expensive, all their stuff is.

BUT all there stuff is really a step above all the other ones.

At a point I had to get a different miter saw. I had an old Delta. It was very limited on what it could cut size wise and what else it could do.
I didn't want to spend the money on the Festool. In the end I did and I'm glad I did. Its a great tool.

Look at ALL the features and advantages, there is a difference besides the price alone.

When buying tools that you'll be using for the rest of your life and be able to hand down to your kids price should not be the deciding factor.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
The Bosch saws are some of the best made.
If I recall, they were one of the first to make their saw in that configuration.
I cant justify the cost for the very little I do with a miter saw, but if ever I get a new one, it will be a Bosch without a doubt. I honestly dont think anyone does it better than they do. Their table saws are top notch too. They consistently rank at the top or near it in every test Ive ever seen over the years.

Save a bit of money from the others, get the Bosch and a Diablo blade (or several) and call it a day.

By the way, that Festool saws rails look similar to what Bosch tried initially for their space saving design before this latest one. I believe they used a stacked rail though, two sections of rail that slid out one on top of the other. It worked, but the new system is a lot more solid.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Bosch and Delta 12" sliders have about the same reviews, but the Delta is newer, so there are fewer of them. The Festool is out of my set budget.

https://smile.amazon.com/Bosch-120-Volt-12-Inch-Dual-Bevel-GCM12SD/dp/B004323NNC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1532396258&sr=8-3&keywords=bosch+miter+saw&dpID=51o1ZQTMCqL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://smile.amazon.com/Delta-26-2250-Bevel-Sliding-Cruzer/dp/B075P68JQS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

The Bosch is $112 more and is probably worth it.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Going to try to get my hands on some tomorrow.

·
Registered
700 Posts
dewalt makes one of the best miter saws on the market. I don’t think you’ll be happy with a lesser saw. I get to use many different tools at work. The dewalt sliding miter saw is my favorite over any other brand I have used.

I've used both the Dewalt and I own the Bosch 12" slider.

Yeah, the Dewalt can't hold a candle to the Bosch, especially for me as a lefty.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Festool. Expensive yes. Their dust collection is about the best there is. I don't have the miter saw, but I have the Domino system and love it.

Reactions: Bubber

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I am the "opposite guy" , I spend as little as possible for woodworking tools.

I bought one of these saws when I installed "Click & Clack" floating hardwood floor in one room.
I went to Sears, and purchased the lowest cost sliding miter saw they had,, $99 or something like that,, over a decade ago.

That was my go-to saw for anything that would fit in it. It has a laser, and uses 7 1/4" blades.

I have yet to need to to a task that saw can not do.

A neighbor died about 3 years ago, and I was given a full size Hitachi.
That saw stays on the shelf, because I can pick up the Sears saw I purchased with one hand.

I guess what I am saying is you would REALLY like a tiny miter saw,,,

·
RIP Chris
148 Posts
Dan,

I had a carpenter build an elaborate saw station at the old shop for our palletizing station.

0807141659sm.jpg

They take up an awful lot of room unless you are processing lumber all day long. Plus, humidity has its way with the wood and causes lots of twisting and bowing. Some days the lumber would cut perfectly and some days it would bind up on the blade just from slight movement in the construction. This was a safety concern of mine for the employees, a top priority, so I ended up nixing the left feeder table in favor of roll stands, which worked out better. The right feeder table ended up functioning as a fluid workbench/storage/cut piece stacking table. But, it was regularly used to set the cut length for repetitive cuts. We'd clamp a block to the 4x4 and run dozens or hundreds of pieces to be cut. It was nice to have.

As for the center saw stand, we cut some drop holes behind the saw with a catch bin below for sawdust and scrap, and added a surround to contain sawdust. It was a fabulous addition, really cut down on mess. Sorry, I can't find a very good picture of it but this will give you the idea.

20170307_154204sm.jpg

As for the Makita, it was their top of the line 12" sliding compound at the time. It wasn't my favorite saw of all time (I have the older model at home and love it). I chose it because of the direct drive rather than the Dewalt belt drive. This was good, but some of the sliding architecture was just a little too under-engineered for my taste and seemed subject to a bit of flex from time to time. Flex in these sliding systems is the worst, and can lead to danger (obviously). So, we always kept the sliders locked down unless we needed them. I'd buy something else if doing it all over again, and I've been a Makita customer since the old 9.6v cordless drill days.

Hope this helps in some way.

EDIT: Can someone please rotate the second picture for me? What's the deal?!!!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I used a customers bosh 12” sliding miter saw today and I remembered what I don’t like about it. It has a safety you have to push with your thumb as you squeeze with your fingers to start the saw. My dewalt doesn’t have the silly safety . I think the dewalt has a bit more capacity. Probably doesn’t matter if you don’t cut 2 x 12s , 4x6s and 6x6s very often.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and Bubber

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have the Dewalt 12" Sliding miter saw and it has been very good to me. It's about 18 years old and has made 10's of thousands of cuts and I have never put a nickel in it. I have 4 high quality blades for it and when one gets dull I switch it out and put another one on. When 2 get dull I send them to the sharpener. It's easy to use and dead on accurate. I have self built left and right tables with settable stops for repetitive cuts and I would have to say I use it more for cross cutting than my table saw.

Ron

·
Premium Member
8,384 Posts
I have a 10" Bosch slider that I bought maybe 15-years ago, and I still like it very much. If I were to get a new one, it would probably be the Bosch on your list. I don't have much experience with Delta (10" bench grinder, Pentair era); but they've changed hands so many times since Rockwell owned them that who knows what the current management philosophy is on quality. Except for the price, I've heard good things about Festool; but I just can't justify spending that kind of money for any of their tools. For the price of that Festool saw, you could buy two Bosch's and have change back for blades.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My table saw is a Delta and I love it, which is why the Delta miter saw is in my original list.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/DELTA-10-in-Carbide-tipped-13-Amp-Table-Saw/50081568

I watched reviews on Youtube about the delta and some of them are amusing, one guy complained about the deflection and slop in the delta, then he did the 5 cut test and it was out by a whole .03° :laugh:

Mrs. Bubber has been taking some painting classes and has expressed an interest in making frames. With that and looking at the other work that I do, I'm considering getting the non-sliding version of the DeWalt that I have.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P0DXET6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I'm going to take Mrs. Buber to the store and get her thoughts. I want to encourage her to join me in the shop, so I want her to feel comfortable. If I do get a slider, it'll be the 12" Bosch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts