Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several grease guns of one brand or another. Today I went to use one of the newer ones, gave it two pumps and of course it was empty. What else is new, right? What isn't new is that when I retracted the spring-loaded plunger it shot a big handful of grease out the little plunger hole right onto my lap!!

It appears like grease somehow migrated to the back side of the plunger seal. How the heck does that happen?

Needless to say it is one gooey mess. The only way I see to clean it properly is to somehow disengage the rubber seal from the rod so the whole thing can be taken apart and cleaned.

Oh the fun of working with grease guns. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
14,203 Posts
I FEEL YOUR PAIN

:banghead: I have a fairly new one that drips while it's hung up :dunno:

·
Registered
12,482 Posts
I have had the same problem. I use JD poly urea grease. I blamed it on the grease being slippery and not overly viscous and I thought my grease gun from TSC was/is a POS.:banghead:

·
Premium Member
14,203 Posts
I have had the same problem. I use JD poly urea grease. I blamed it on the grease being slippery and not overly viscous and I thought my grease gun from TSC was/is a POS.:banghead:
I would agree but I have two with the same JD grease in them........I bought drippy from TSC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,482 Posts
I would agree but I have two with the same JD grease in them........I bought drippy from TSC

Maybe my problem is just the TSC gun.

·
Premium Member
14,203 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep - this gun is a TSC Workforce heavy duty lever action

·
Premium Member
14,203 Posts
Yep - this gun is a TSC Workforce heavy duty lever action
I think we're on too something here, that's what mine is except pistol grip.

·
Registered
12,482 Posts
I think we're on too something here, that's what mine is except pistol grip.

I have both. Time for replacement.

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
14,203 Posts
Me thinks when this tube of grease is gone - so is the gun.
Haha, I've been telling myself the same thing, definitely getting my money's worth, this tube seems to have no end

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have no sympathy for a crappy grease gun. I don't care how much grease is in it, I throw it in the trash.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Got it right in the lap, eh?:laugh: Think of all the other directions that grease could possibly have gone (including up the nose). You were chosen by The Universe as it's "Joke of the Day On Humanity".:laugh: ( I'm usually in that role!):yahoo:

But, there IS a CURE (at least until you get the new gun). When finished greasing retract the T-handle and latch it taking the pressure off the grease in the cylinder. Hopefully one would remember to reset the handle next use.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
10,598 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Old Pa-pa
12,165 Posts
I have a battery op Lincoln and it leaks as well

Been having the Milwaukee Electric for well over a year, hasn't leaked a drop.

I use JD *Blue* lithium base for a high moisture environment for everything I own.
Z Trak, tractor, Snapper, boat trailer, casters on sprayer skid, rolling tables, etc, etc.

Never had any trouble with my JD manual grease gun (around $35 if I remember) until the knuckles in my hands started acting up
more and more from a little arthritis.

Would buy an electric now even without the arthritis, it's just so much quicker and all around slicker to do a
grease job.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have several grease guns of one brand or another. Today I went to use one of the newer ones, gave it two pumps and of course it was empty. What else is new, right? What isn't new is that when I retracted the spring-loaded plunger it shot a big handful of grease out the little plunger hole right onto my lap!!

It appears like grease somehow migrated to the back side of the plunger seal. How the heck does that happen?

Needless to say it is one gooey mess. The only way I see to clean it properly is to somehow disengage the rubber seal from the rod so the whole thing can be taken apart and cleaned.

Oh the fun of working with grease guns. :banghead:
The grease had to slip by the rubber plunger and the tube. Probably from it being a little bit to small. Possibly it has a small cut or hole in the plunger.

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
most of the time the reason the grease get's behind the rubber seal, :dunno:might be cause they are hung up on the wall. and the heat gets to the grease, it has to go somewhere!:unknown:
i had that happen once like jgayman had happen. since then i unload mine-and lay them on a level shelf. problem has been so far solved.

the Milwaukee hasn't leaked one bit, since i loaded it-either. i use it all the time-just saying:mocking:

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
most of the time the reason the grease get's behind the rubber seal, might be cause they are hung up on the wall. and the heat gets to the grease, it has to go somewhere!
i had that happen once like jgayman had happen. since then i unload mine-and lay them on a level shelf. problem has been so far solved.
the Milwaukee hasn't leaked one bit, since i loaded it-either. i use it all the time-just saying
I keep all of my grease guns laying horizontal in a shallow plastic storage container like this one. It prevents anything that oozes out from making a mess.

plastic_container.jpg

I would love to have a Milwaukee electric but so far I just can't justify the cost. I only have a few things that need grease so I only need to do greasing about every 6 weeks or so. I have multiple grease guns as I have different grease for different things. My trailer takes special lithium grease and I use JD Polyurea in most other things. My garage has no power so I would always need to remember to take the battery with me whenever it was grease time.

I may still get one some day when all these junkers are worn out. I have a few other Milwaukee tools so at least I can buy the bare tool.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts