Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another person was asking about plowing capabilities of the x7-series in a different thread here. As I was out blowing more from this weekends significant 'blizzard' event (it wasn't a true blizzard here, but heavy blowing snow for a day) it got me to thinking. If you had a tractor-mounted plow how would you go about something like this path I clear between the house and shed? This is just over the lawn, so I wouldn't want to open a path 2 or 3 tractor widths wide. And this was from a single snow event... This path was cleared 3 days ago. I wasn't home to keep at it every few hours like I'd imagine you'd have to do with a plow.

For perspective, in the first pic if you look towards the right front corner of the shed there is a full size picnic table you can barely see and a 30" downed maple tree trunk closer to the tractor buried in the drift.

As you can see, the deepest parts of the drifted snow were deeper than the drift cutter bars on the 54" blower.

And a side comment... I can't imaging having a 47" blower for this type of thing. With the 54" blower I was able to keep pushing ahead, backing up, repeat. If the path were 7" narrower I'm guessing I'd have had to keep widening out the area or else get stuck because the back end always slides around a little as you spin and it's difficult to go completely straight.

Rob

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
If it was me and I hadn't done any plowing with the storm and was facing this I would put the bucket on and do it the hard way, all the time wishing I had a nice blower like yours!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Wow. All I can say is the obvious....... That’s a lot of snow from one “event.” I can’t imagine attempting to use a blade in those circumstances..

·
Premium Member
13,399 Posts
Honestly from my experience, you'd have to put the bucket on and start shoveling. The deepest I've done with the FEL mounted plow was 22" (and that was all it wanted), once you get a hole started it's not so bad, but that also the hardest part.

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
With the Deere 54" plow mounted on just the QuickHitch, I think you'd have to give up and wait for the spring melt. :laugh:

I've pushed through similar drifts with the 54" plow mounted on the loader. Actually, those sort of drifts are exactly why I mounted my plow on the loader and then ordered my blower.

Ram into the drift, push forward a few feet, lift the loader/plow up and over the top and keep pushing forward. Back up. Rinse and repeat endlessly. Pretty much the same motion you'd use with the loader bucket. Once you get a spot opened up enough to give yourself some working room it isn't so bad. Once you've gt that working room you can push snow across the walkway/driveway at a 45 degree angle and just keep nibbling away at it. It does take a while though!

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Another person was asking about plowing capabilities of the x7-series in a different thread here. As I was out blowing more from this weekends significant 'blizzard' event (it wasn't a true blizzard here, but heavy blowing snow for a day) it got me to thinking. If you had a tractor-mounted plow how would you go about something like this path I clear between the house and shed? This is just over the lawn, so I wouldn't want to open a path 2 or 3 tractor widths wide. And this was from a single snow event... This path was cleared 3 days ago. I wasn't home to keep at it every few hours like I'd imagine you'd have to do with a plow.

For perspective, in the first pic if you look towards the right front corner of the shed there is a full size picnic table you can barely see and a 30" downed maple tree trunk closer to the tractor buried in the drift.

As you can see, the deepest parts of the drifted snow were deeper than the drift cutter bars on the 54" blower.

And a side comment... I can't imaging having a 47" blower for this type of thing. With the 54" blower I was able to keep pushing ahead, backing up, repeat. If the path were 7" narrower I'm guessing I'd have had to keep widening out the area or else get stuck because the back end always slides around a little as you spin and it's difficult to go completely straight.

Rob
That is a lot of snow to clear! Have had to do that deep several times this year with my driveway and even with a pusher blade you can only go in so far then push off to the side and then push in further till you get a slot. Once I get a slot I turn my tractor around and use the rear blade to push in drop it down and drive off with a pickup load of snow behind me to a place to put it. I keep going back till the slot is totally open. Then turn around and plow the other way going forward with my 8 ft wide blade which sticks outside my wheel base and carve off snow plowing it away till I am done. That way I do not leave the snow stacked up for more and deeper drifts to form in/on. My driveway is full now but not too many months left of winter snow. Now I pull it to the bottom and stack it up. 100_2999.JPG 100_2979.JPG 100_2982.JPG I have a way bigger tractor then you, not sure if you can get your rear blade high enough to do that and you blower is great for making openings! I still want a 7 ft wide blower to go thru the deep stuff not on my place. I am so much faster with my rear blade I would only use it on deep stuff since I can't blow snow around everywhere on my parking area I need a rear blade also. Don't sell short little tractors with snow blowers I kept this driveway open for 2 years with a walk behind snow blower I know how nice they work!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Very good points JimR.
I have had to use the 45 degree trick quite a few times with a plow truck when tackling drives that hadn't been touched and had a few feet sitting in them.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Here in Southwest Ohio, it's probably been 40 years since we've gotten more than 10" of snow in a single event. If we get 6" now it's a huge deal. So, for me, having a plow is fine and I can handle anything we get hit with. If we ever got as much as you, I'd have to attack it with the bucket. Of course, if we got as much as you do on a regular basis, I'd have a blower, not a plow! :good2: :laugh:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
How would you clear that much snow in that narrow area with a plow on a garden tractor?
The answer is, you wouldnt.

This is why I am, and always will be a fan of snowthrowers/blowers (I actually like to distinguish between the two because a single stage is technically a thrower and 2 stage a blower) over blades. Some say blades are faster. In 2" of snow or so, maybe. In odd shaped driveways like mine, its no contest.
I had been unable to use the old 49 thrower on the 318 for the last couple years because I hadnt yet figured out a good way to remove snow and not gravel with it.
Well, this year I did. In the time it used to take to do my drive alone (400' or so plus a very large parking area), I finished it and my neighbors too (his is about 6-700' but narrower and about half the parking area).
I like the blade, its easier to attach and does a good job, but you have to have a place to pile it up, which is a non-issue with the 49.
Chains and all, Ive had trouble pushing 6-8" for more than about 50' or so, as it builds up, it compacts too, and just gets heavier and heavier.
My snowblower was purchased in 77, and fought the blizzard of 78 here. It has no trouble with 30" of snow, with proper technique. Probably more, but thats the deepest Ive moved with it.

Now with a CUT, a plow will push a lot more, but thats not what we are talking about.
Even then, Id prefer a blower over a blade, but thats a lot of cost if you dont have need of it regularly.

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
Even with a skid loader that is 10 times the time to scoop at 45degrees and work through it. The blower was made for just that.:good2:

Glad to see another guy with no driveway to the shed. I told my wife 10 years ago we would keep it as lawn and if we had a problem tearing it up then we would do a driveway. A litttle common sense, a slight slope and clay soil we still have a lawn.

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
If it was me and I hadn't done any plowing with the storm and was facing this I would put the bucket on and do it the hard way, all the time wishing I had a nice blower like yours!
Wasn't the OP referring to handling it with a X700-series machine? So a bucket would probably be out of the question.

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
Another person was asking about plowing capabilities of the x7-series in a different thread here. As I was out blowing more from this weekends significant 'blizzard' event (it wasn't a true blizzard here, but heavy blowing snow for a day) it got me to thinking. If you had a tractor-mounted plow how would you go about something like this path I clear between the house and shed?
We had a similar situation a couple years ago when we got 30" dumped on us in about a day. Anyone who didn't plow with the storm was out of luck. Even with a loader you could not maneuver the tractor anywhere.

For those who had a snow blower and had the forethought to park with the blower facing OUT, it was a simple matter of starting the tractor and driving out of the garage with the blower engaged.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I was nice to the people above me and plowed out there road a few days ago. I told the wife/owner I wanted to buy a Snow Blower for my tractor for roads around here. Then she said we have one you can just have to use it is out back by there house. They have a broke tractor and do not want to fix it and use a ATV to go out to there cars parked by the county road. They park on our property not far away. So when the snow melts I will take my tractor up there and get it. It is supposed to be a 6-7 ft one but it breaks the shear bolts and to much trouble to use??? I can fix that problem probley the shear bolt holes are now too big and chopping them off easier? If I can get a free one to use up here that would be sweet for those snow storms we have off and on. They do have a place during winter and when you need one the other way to do it sucks!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even with a skid loader that is 10 times the time to scoop at 45degrees and work through it. The blower was made for just that.:good2:

Glad to see another guy with no driveway to the shed. I told my wife 10 years ago we would keep it as lawn and if we had a problem tearing it up then we would do a driveway. A litttle common sense, a slight slope and clay soil we still have a lawn.
There's a driveway back there, but it is around the side of the house. That gets cleared all the time. The path is just for me to walk between the house and shed without having to go out the front of the garage and all the way around the house. I move some pretty big stuff back to the shed so just leaving it lawn wouldn't work.

Rob

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wasn't the OP referring to handling it with a X700-series machine? So a bucket would probably be out of the question.
Yeah, I was just wondering about folks who have decided that a plow is enough for them on their x7-series and what they could or would do in this situation. As mentioned by others, it would seem to be a real challenge with a plow and would result in a much bigger 'cut'. Of course, that probably would be less likely to drift back over like mine does with every blowing snow event we have since I only cut a single swath.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and comments!

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
My first winter with a tractor, I had an X758 and the 54" plow, no extensions. I had no problem plowing heavy snow falls because I was out there two or three times as it was coming down...that's the answer to your question. That's what it takes. It's not fun, but it does work.

I eventually (around February) ran into a problem when the snow built up on the sides of the driveway. I had no place to put it, and so the driveway was getting narrower and narrower. That winter, I traded the x758 for a 1025R (a decision I regret and will soon correct by buying another x7xx). I should have just bought a snowblower for the X758. :(

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
Yes, it's not easy, but it is doable. I go in straight, then carefully back up as straight as possible. I then go in with a half cut to widen the initial pass. I try to keep the runs shorter to avoid having to back up so straight for a long distance. So in the end, I'm doing the full width a little bit at a time. If I'm faced with a long run, I'll go in and every so often do a slight 45° angle. Then back up and straighten, and go forward again, ending with a slight 45 again. I guess similar to plowing, but with a blower. I've never gotten stuck with this type of snow yet.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
My first winter with a tractor, I had an X758 and the 54" plow, no extensions. I had no problem plowing heavy snow falls because I was out there two or three times as it was coming down...that's the answer to your question. That's what it takes. It's not fun, but it does work.
That is what it takes with a plow sometimes. It is especially not fun with an overnight heavy snow fall because all night long you have to be out there every couple hours.

·
Premium Member
13,399 Posts
That is what it takes with a plow sometimes. It is especially not fun with an overnight heavy snow fall because all night long you have to be out there every couple hours.
Like you said, keeping up with the storm is the key with a plow. I said the most I've ever tackled was 22", that storm total was the "big" one, we had 40" total. I plowed 22" when I got home from work, that was not fun, then I went out two more times 3-4 hours between. I still had around 8-10" to clear in the morning but that's pretty easy to handle.

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
Yeah, I was just wondering about folks who have decided that a plow is enough for them on their x7-series and what they could or would do in this situation. As mentioned by others, it would seem to be a real challenge with a plow and would result in a much bigger 'cut'.
This is one of those things people have to consider when buying. The QuickHitch just doesn't lift the plow high enough to let you stack snow in those heavy storms like you had. The blower becomes a HUGE advantage in that sort of storm. Knowing what I know now after going through that sort of thing, I'd be 99% certain to buy a blower if I didn't have a loader on my machine. The loader mounted plow tips the scale some, but I still bought a 3pt blower for those bigger storms.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts