Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I burnt up my gearbox on my 60" belly mower. Did someone say "check the oil?".

Anyway, $400 later I have the new one, but I cannot get the spindle off the old box. It does not come with a new one when ordering.

Figured I would check in here before I apply heat, travel an hour to buy a gear puller, or other drastic measures. Always someone here with way more knowledge than me.

I have removed both set screws completely and have tried driving a wedge between the spindle and the case. Nothing.

Need help again.....

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
I would buy the Gear Puller very handy tool that stops damage using other ways to get stuff off shafts. Cheap investment then ruining a part and still needing one?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure at this point I'll have to drive into town and get one. I have a big one, but of course it won't fit. Hoping there is a nifty trick.....

·
Super Moderator
2,237 Posts
Are you talking about the male stub adaptor that is used for the autoconnect pto shaft, #15 in this picture?

NormalAppImage(1)-5.png

If so, you can see there is a woodruff key in there also, #13. It's possible the key is 'sheared' a little and is no longer 'square', meaning the sides aren't square to the top/bottom. It may be wedged in there pretty well. Did you try some penetrating oil and let it soak? Maybe that'll help along with your wedge and gentle persuasion. I don't remember if the end the adaptor is open to where a gear puller would work.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make stub adapter...that’s it. Does your reference have a part number? Kinda looks like this attaches to the pto vs to the gearbox, though.

I’ve searched and searched for a part number. Haven’t had any luck. Should have checked the one I had before I ordered the gearbox.

Filled the thing with blaster last night but not holding my breath. I’ll try the local Meade dealer to see if by chance they have it. They don’t support parts well locally.

Gear puller won’t fit in the limited gap at the case. Tried using visegrips to pull on, but just slid up the shaft.

Getting closer. Thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
2,237 Posts
Item #15 is M170762... about $60. It attaches to the gearbox, but is shown in the parts catalog in the autoconnect section.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent. Thank you

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Guessing you removed BOTH of the set screws. :dunno:

Since your gear box is ruined , maybe a large chisel and hammer and hit the back side of the adapter.

Hopefully with blaster last evening .it will come off.

I had to take mine off , but mine wasn't difficult the dealer had put anti-sieze on gear before installing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts