Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my fellow coworkers sent me this, its about 15 min long but well worth the time .

SPITFIRE 944 - YouTube

Be careful you may get a tear or a chill or both, don't ask how I know!

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
636mullet (Today), farmgirl19 (Today), Skyboss1952 (Today)

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,542 Posts
Oh man was that awesome!! Thanks for posting et!:good2:

·
Administrator
20,708 Posts
This is a must see

Wow......

This isn't just for airplane buffs. This is a WWII, any history buff, or anybody interested in somebody's lost past. So cool. Thanks for sharing.:drinks:

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the likes and THANKS.
Like I stated at the beginning a coworker sent me this and I thought WOW , some lost great history of WWll.

·
Administrator
17,982 Posts
I just got a chance to watch this...

WOW!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Very awesome! Thanks for sharing. I could look at and talk about WWII history all day long.

My father was a B-29 pilot in WWII. I wish I had film of him like this. I do have all his flight logs of his missions over Japan. Here are a few pics:

Tinian.jpg
His bomber group about to take off on a mission from Tinian.

Dad.jpg
He and his plane. Gotta love the nose art!!!

These guys were true hero's and the greatest generation. Thanks again for sharing.

·
Registered
11,912 Posts
I just got around to watch this video. That is an amazing story, to say the least. It was great to see the pilot watch the video for the first time. I couldn't imagine flying over enemy territory unarmed. Hell, I couldn't imagine flying over enemy territory armed.

Thanks for posting this video. I will send it off to a friend of mine whose Dad, like mine was a WWII flyer.

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got around to watch this video. That is an amazing story, to say the least. It was great to see the pilot watch the video for the first time. I couldn't imagine flying over enemy territory unarmed. Hell, I couldn't imagine flying over enemy territory armed.

Thanks for posting this video. I will send it off to a friend of mine whose Dad, like mine was a WWII flyer.
That was part of my intent ,so we could pass it on to any WW ll vets or family members !

·
Registered
231 Posts
These guys went through incredible harrowing experiences that few people today understand or appreciate (at least civilians… the military guys/gals do though.) My dad told me what it was like flying through flak bursts over Tokyo, or being buzzed by zeros trying to take them out. When they were on their final bombing run over a target, he had to relinquish control of the plane to the bomber using the Norden Bombsight which controlled the flight path. The plane had to be kept straight and steady for the precision drop… so no evasive maneuvers to avoid flak or zeros… They were sitting ducks. Simply unbelievable. Add on top of that a plane that, while stat-of-the-art for its time and truly revolutionary and a great aircraft, had reliability issues – at least early on. He flew some of the first B-29s in service (1943 I think.) The Wright Cyclone engines were plagued with problems… overheating, engine fires, etc. Imagine that on top of being shot at. And to get to his targets he had to fly over the Himalayan Mountains to and from China, which in itself was a feat.

Today’s American children are not taught our history. It scares me. If people don’t know and understand history they are bound to repeat the same mistakes of the past. But to preserve this great country we need to know and teach its past.

Sorry… I can go on for hours…

1 - 15 of 15 Posts