Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a couple of trees felled a while ago. O the the snow is finally gone I got to it.

These started out nice size oak trees with a base diameter of 12”-14”.

I normally grab my father in laws splitter but today felt like splitting it by had.

This is my tool of choice.

A few foot hits and they split nicely right down the middle. Then into smaller pieces.

A good workout today. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
In my crazy youth,, I could swing a "SOTZ Monster Maul" like a baseball bat,,

BUT, over the years, I found my velocity of the swing reduced,,

the math F=1/2 M V(squared)
If you reduce the Mass by half,, and also double the velocity,, the energy of the blade hitting the log will be double.

I can easily swing a 8 pound maul twice as fast as I can swing a 16 pound maul,,

SO,, the perfect tool for me is a maul that is lighter, but, one that I can also swing more than twice as fast,,

If I were to buy one today,, it would be this one,,,

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Super-Splitting-Inch-378841-1002/dp/B004M3BAQE

I will not buy one,, because I have a hydraulic splitter,,, :flag_of_truce:

:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
A Fiskars x27 here too. Splits way better than a traditional maul in my hands.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Those Fiskars are nice!
I keep a 14" Fiskars in my camping gear, we tent camp so gotta keep it small. It works great and i wouldn't trade it for any other. I was so impressed with it, I got my Oldman a 27 or 28" (IIRC) splitting axe for X-mas one year, to keep in his camper. I've split wood for them many times, and there is no problem with the halves flying apart. You can really get some blade speed going with the Fiskars.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I have a Fiskars X27 too. Great splitting axe!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Been there for sure

In my crazy youth,, I could swing a "SOTZ Monster Maul" like a baseball bat,,

BUT, over the years, I found my velocity of the swing reduced,,

the math F=1/2 M V(squared)
If you reduce the Mass by half,, and also double the velocity,, the energy of the blade hitting the log will be double.

I can easily swing a 8 pound maul twice as fast as I can swing a 16 pound maul,,

SO,, the perfect tool for me is a maul that is lighter, but, one that I can also swing more than twice as fast,,

If I were to buy one today,, it would be this one,,,

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Super-Splitting-Inch-378841-1002/dp/B004M3BAQE

I will not buy one,, because I have a hydraulic splitter,,, :flag_of_truce:

:bigthumb:
Like you, I've done the monster maul thing and now only look at it on the way by. I also use the Fiskars which is a great tool but keep a more traditional 8 lb splitting axe handy for those chunks that just demand a little bit more. It's always a toss up on whether to beat on a chunk of stubborn wood a few more times or just toss it in the discard pile.

Fiskars X27 Axe VS Traditional Splitting Maul - YouTube

Treefarmer

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My father in law has a monster maul. If you can get it up over your head it will split a lot of stuff. But it’ll tire one out quickly.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I watched your link, OK, equal axes in his words, but he did say the old axe was heavier, and if I counted correctly, the Fiskars was ahead by a whack or two in his tests.

But his reasoning about heritage tools :lolol:. Yeah I'd like hand-me-downs too, like those my father used to own. But I don't like using those too much, partly for fear of breaking them.

I have a couple of wooden handle screwdrivers my dad owned. I like having them and will eventually hand them down, but I'd rather use my battery powered screwdriver than any of those hand tools any day.:laugh:

I have a couple of my dad's hand saws too...

Just my 2 cents. I still like my X27.

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
My father in law has a monster maul. If you can get it up over your head it will split a lot of stuff. But it’ll tire one out quickly.

That’s all I have is one of those monster mauls. I split all our firewood by hand for 8 years feeding 3 wood stoves.

I always put my firewood up in rounds then split it as needed through the winter - about every 3 days. A good excersice routine on those long winter days.

I was splitting all seasoned cherry and maple - no extra force needed with that heavy mail - just lift it over your head and aim.

Now...I doubt very much I could lift it over my head let alone carry it somewhere.....

·
Registered
511 Posts
I guess I'm "old school" -- my go-to axe for everything since the 7th grade has been this double bit version I got from my dad. He taught me to split large logs from the side when using a lightweight tool. A good end strike on solid hardwood can leave you stuck for several minutes ...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
I guess I'm "old school" -- my go-to axe for everything since the 7th grade has been this double bit version I got from my dad. He taught me to split large logs from the side when using a lightweight tool. A good end strike on solid hardwood can leave you stuck for several minutes ...
Looks like mine. A co-worker gave it to me; he was chopping some wood, under the clothes line, and caught one of the lines on his down stroke. I think he nearly cut his head off, she he decided to get rid of it. I've had it for about 50 years, but I don't chop wood near a clothes line. In fact, we don't have one any more! Driers are great innovations!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dad always used a double bladed axe. I have it but don’t use it. I think I could get hurt too easily.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My dad always used a double bladed axe. I have it but don’t use it. I think I could get hurt too easily.
I like the balance much better than axes & mauls with a single cutting edge. The trailing side isn't really a threat anyway. You should give it a try.

Axes don't scare me. I've done serious finger damage many times with hammers, though!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the balance much better than axes & mauls with a single cutting edge. The trailing side isn't really a threat anyway. You should give it a try.

Axes don't scare me. I've done serious finger damage many times with hammers, though!
That’s exactly the reason my dad liked it.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts

Double bit ax and I have 4 of them. The 27 ton Ariens wood splitter does the more serious work.
God created nail guns for the hammer to nail strike challenged. Just don't put a nail into your finger or foot!:laugh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts