Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of spray totes that we rinsed once and then set aside for two years. Our power is out and we have about 150 poultry plus 500 tomato plants that need water. We can get untreated water from the plant in town for a penny a gallon. Would it be safe to use the totes for this? There's no scent when you open them and like I said we did rinse them out once.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Triple rinse

Off brand roundup. They're bone dry.
Roundup is typically rendered inert over time but just to be sure, I would triple rinse with a good detergent or spray tank cleaner. I think you would be fine after that. Any residue left should be bonded to the tank and not migrate to the water. The tomato plants wouldn't be a problem anyway if you are using a drip irrigation rather than spray. Roundup is a contact herbicide.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I figured. I pruned spots out so I could water without leaf contact while the power is out. Atrazine would be a different story haha

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
I would rinse them out with ammonia to neutralize any roundup residue, just to be sure. It doesn't take much to slosh it around in the container. Dump, quick water rinse, let them dry and you'll be good to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts