Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m closing in on a sprayer. Now I’m starting to wonder if a pull behind wouldn’t be easier to push into the barn instead of lifting off the 3 point and setting it somewhere. What’s your thoughts? What are the advantages or disadvantages of the two types of sprayers?

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Premium Member
12,788 Posts
One major advantage to a pull-behind is the ease of disconnecting and storing it while the tank still contains liquid. This can happen when you need to finish the next day or you just need to remove the sprayer mid-task to use the tractor for something else. With a 3PH sprayer you typically need to have them empty before dismounting (although I'm sure there are some models that have the capability to be parked while full).

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
We use a 31 gallon pull behind sprayer but with our lawn tractor. The negatives of it are the tires and length. Eventually they go flat and dry rot and become a PIA to replace. The length of it makes it kind of awkward for me to find space for it in my shop. I was looking at the 3 point sprayer from northern and I would think you could either buy a dolly from HF or make one depending on the surface of your barn (dirt vs concrete) and that makes it easier to deal with a 3 point sprayer. Also, if that thing is quick hitch compatible that might be more preferable than a tow behind.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a 40 gal. Fimco 3 pt hitch sprayer. It drops right off of my iMatch while full. Its sitting on the floor in the garage right now, with about 30 gallon of water in it that I had left after using it to water several trees that I just planted.

My father has a pull behind Fimco. I would never trade it for my 3 pt sprayer.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I assume were talking small sprayers.
I have both a 60 gallon 3 point & 30' boom 250 gallon pull behind.
3 point con, weight when full
Pro, takes up less storage space, mine is easy to load/unload empty or full.
Pull behind Con, takes up more storage space, hard to back into barn (due to size, probably wont apply to smaller ones).
Pro, easy to hook/unhook, that's about it.

·
Premium Member
5,827 Posts
Everything is better with the 3 point. Easy of use, pump volume for recirculation, and speed. The only advantage of the pull behind unless your talking about a large Ag one is size and yes storage is important and expensive to fix. 10’ booms are also common on the 3 point ones instead the small pull behinds.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I assume were talking small sprayers.
I have both a 60 gallon 3 point & 30' boom 250 gallon pull behind.
3 point con, weight when full
Pro, takes up less storage space, mine is easy to load/unload empty or full.
Pull behind Con, takes up more storage space, hard to back into barn (due to size, probably wont apply to smaller ones).
Pro, easy to hook/unhook, that's about it.
pretty close to my experience......unless its a big field sprayer in my opinion 3pt is the way to go...MUCH more maneuverable....on the smaller 3pt i use the boomless type heads which dont cover quite as good but more than make up for it in maneuverability and storage ease...i usally just drop mine on a pallet when done its a jiff to hook up empty

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
You have a 2038R per your signature, so we're not talking about monstrous sprayers here I think, right?

I have both. I started with a tow-behind because I had a 425 and that was the only option. I have a 3 point now for my 1025R. Both have their pros and con. IMO, three point wins. I'll be fixing up and selling the trailer sprayer soon to get it out of my shed.

• PTO pump is less hassle, no wiring, and can flow a lot more volume as needed and for reciculation/agitation.
  • 3 point hitch is a more compact package, where a trailer is like driving a semi around the yard
  • 3 point is more maneuverable. I frequently need to back up into or out of tighter areas. Good luck with a trailer, especially with a boom.
  • A quick hitch and a small 3 point sprayer is easy on and off and can be stored full of water
  • A 3 point PTO powered sprayer will probably have a pressure regulator instead of a dumb manual recirc valve.
  • Trailer takes up way more room in the shed than the 3 point sprayer.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, guys. I think the 3pt wins.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
I have the 40 gallon 3 point Fimco sprayer. 3-Point Sprayer, 40 Gallon, 2.1 GPM I store it on a pallet which is moveable with the loader and forks. It typically stores on the shelf of a pallet rack. It can be stored with or without liquid in the tank. It has a foldable boom that covers 10' spray width. Have used it for a couple of seasons now and it works very well.
Sincerely

1 - 11 of 11 Posts