Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to spray my fence with a Glyphosate and Crossbow mix. I've read to mix it in a 2/3 mix for this kind of application. Do I risk harming the trees? Just the big ones, not concerned about saplings.

FGNYOBqUlqlVdBnck0iC8S6Y9Gy_gXVrVJoKKAme--BNqdHSE0wa1dPnSCU9neUZ3UGnzWFnEMZVCL7ovVajTNI_goHmODkE.jpg

My neighbor doesn't maintain his property on his side. I've got enough room on my side to walk up with a string trimmer. There are a lot of holes and drop offs where my path in the pic is as far over as I can really drive the tractor, which is why the fence is were it is. If I go a foot on the other side of the fence, does that change anything regarding the trees?

·
Super Moderator
4,884 Posts
I'd think you'd be safe. Glyphosate is absorbed by the leaves of the plants and then works from there. Some minor over-spray on a tree trunk shouldn't affect it. I'd just be careful not to over-apply and leave a bunch to soak into the ground.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Contact herbicides

Both are contact herbicides and depend on the herbicide being absorbed with through leaves or through cuts in the bark leading directly into the vascular system of the tree, however 2,4,d has some cautions.

You should be fine although the 2,4,d in Crossbow can aerosolize and burn plants that it doesn't actually hit. Some plants are really sensitive to 2,4, d so you might want make sure there aren't sensitive plants on the neighbor's side.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Thanks...

I'm going to spray it with a backpack sprayer, so I should be able to keep overspray and overapplication down.
If your backpack came with an assortment of application nozzles, use the one that produces the largest droplets. That in itself will help to keep fine mist overspray to a minimum.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your backpack came with an assortment of application nozzles, use the one that produces the largest droplets. That in itself will help to keep fine mist overstay to a minimum.
It does, I'll have to try them out. I haven't used this one yet.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Crossbow is very temperature dependent on weather it turns into a vapor cloud or not. If I recall correctly, if ambient is above 78 degrees, you risk the chemical turning into a vapor cloud, and it is much more harmful to plants in that form. I believe the application instructions advise temps in the 60s as ideal.

The manufacturers safety data sheet for crossbow is also pretty intense, it makes roundup look like a kid's toy. I only spray it when absolutely necessary, and I wear an herbicide rated respirator when I do. I personally would start with the glyphosate and see how it does, mixed at the high end of the recommended amount.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I use Cross Bow a lot. It will not hurt your trees. It will kill any trees around 2 inches or less in diameter. I have found that it will kill a tree about 6" in diameter if you peel the bark back and spray it profusely. I spray around my trees and it has never killed any of the large ones. I use a mixture of RM43+CrossBow. Pretty much takes everything to the ground.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Great Discussion

I have twenty acres, or so.
And it's a mess. You could theoretically manage it, but I'm failing.

I have tons, of what I call briars. And tons of grape vines, that insultingly, don't have any grapes.
So I've had it. And I'm ready to spray.

Of course my sprayer pooped out. And when I rebuild it, rejuvenate it, (I'll be back.)
Alert, gratuitous, Terminator, reference.

I'm a fan of RoundUp. It kills weeds. And I've never seen a dead mouse, or varmint, with a tumor.
So, I don't really know what that's all about.
(But, it's actually very obvious.)

Thanks for the discussion. I did not know about some of the "products" mentioned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts