Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally finished the last of grading out 55 yards of topsoil around the new driveway. This is the last maybe 5 or 6 yards worth. 1026r, FEL, and box blade for the whole thing up and down both sides. Dug out the old driveway that was 15 feet wide, filled in with top soil, had a 12ft wide pavement driveway put in. And filled in the rest of the way around it. Everything you see that is dirt used to be a gravel driveway.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Finally finished the last of grading out 55 yards of topsoil around the new driveway. This is the last maybe 5 or 6 yards worth. 1026r, FEL, and box blade for the whole thing up and down both sides. Dug out the old driveway that was 15 feet wide, filled in with top soil, had a 12ft wide pavement driveway put in. And filled in the rest of the way around it. Everything you see that is dirt used to be a gravel driveway.

Man that was fun to watch! Now if it was not raining I would go out and play in my dirt for a while. Good Job!

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny you mention that. Rain has made this job take weeks! I did the other side of the driveway two weeks ago. The upper half of this side last week. And finally got to this last part on Wednesday.

I bought the box blade for this driveway realignment project. And it's my favorite implement!

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
:bigthumb: loved ur video-u made it look easy. was the width of driveway on the curve 12 ft wide. i've always thought if i ever get to have any black top in my life:laugh: on the curve i would make it a hair wider, so no one would drive off it, at the curves.:laugh:

it looks fantastic.

·
Registered
286 Posts
For a minute I thought you had a suuuuuuuuperfast little tractor and I just had to know the secret!:laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Funny you mention that. Rain has made this job take weeks! I did the other side of the driveway two weeks ago. The upper half of this side last week. And finally got to this last part on Wednesday.

I bought the box blade for this driveway realignment project. And it's my favorite implement!
I love the box blade. If you did not know it yet they make great angled ditches too! You need to crank your lower 3 point arms so the whole box blade goes on a sharp angle. Then only lower 1 ripper tooth on the far lower end and drive along the road edge while off the road. It will cut a nice clean "V" shaped ditch and the ripper tooth will help it dig in to do it. Adjustments on the Box Blade can make it do or don't work good and after a while it is easy to set up. Feathering material and carefully bulldozing in reverse it can make some nice looking areas fast and not dig it all up in the process. Course a nice 8 ft rear blade can "Blue Top a road when you work it right. I use both quite a bit with my 4044M tractor.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
That was cool. Just an observation, but it looked like the topsoil was on the red/ brown shade spectrum. Topsoil around here is black. Nice box blade work. Now you gotta do the other side. Or is it done already?
I noticed that too because my dirt is closer to brown/black and I have saw several places with the redder look like I saw in Vietnam post here. It was a clay soil over there. We have a Loam Soil with really Big Rocks in places along with gravel layers. The Ice Flow deposited a bunch of crap on my place including a Basalt Rock Cliff. I had to add cow compost to my soil for the garden to hold water better plus not pack so hard when dry. 100_3361.JPG 100_3365.JPG I don't have to import dirt to have fun just go out and dig something up on the place.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love the box blade. If you did not know it yet they make great angled ditches too! You need to crank your lower 3 point arms so the whole box blade goes on a sharp angle. Then only lower 1 ripper tooth on the far lower end and drive along the road edge while off the road. It will cut a nice clean "V" shaped ditch and the ripper tooth will help it dig in to do it. Adjustments on the Box Blade can make it do or don't work good and after a while it is easy to set up. Feathering material and carefully bulldozing in reverse it can make some nice looking areas fast and not dig it all up in the process.
Yep. That's what I was doing when I stopped about halfway through when I was messing with the hitch. In the beginning, I had it tilted so the high side was along the driveway to help build the slope. Then once the slope was pretty solid, I recentered it back to level with the tractor. I really like pushing in reverse. It does a great job and it maintains a grade since the tractor's wheels end up on level graded ground.

That was cool. Just an observation, but it looked like the topsoil was on the red/ brown shade spectrum. Topsoil around here is black. Nice box blade work. Now you gotta do the other side. Or is it done already?
It's all brownish around here. Even the nice fancy screened topsoil is brown. The only soil that actually comes out dark/black is bagged potting soil from the store.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Great video! I have a similar boxblade and love it. Here I am spreading 50 yards of loam in a low spot.

9041126725_422a465082_c.jpg

Behind my shop, I dug a trench for electricity out to my shed, I then spread some stone dust and leveled everything out nicely with it.
9041745655_223dcef9cf_c.jpg

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Nice job on the box blade work! While your dirt isn't black, it looks way better than the red/brown clay I have down here in NC! For top soil you get a sandy loam type of soil off the local tobacco farms fields around here. It's more sand than anything. I grew up in Washington state on the West side of the mountains and did not know how spoiled I was with the dirt up there.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Nice job, when you move that fast, you have to make sure to charge by the job and not the hours it takes or it will tough to make any money...:laugh::lol:

The box blades are surprisingly easy to use and the best way to learn is by using them. Plus, practice makes perfect. I found I get the best result when working forward and you can really get a nice smooth finish using the box blade if you take your time and practice. Slow and steady is the best. I also can get much of the spreading accomplished with the FEL and back dragging the piles which I dumped with the loader first.

No question, these make the job go much faster.......and get a much better result. The amount of time and labor it would take to do this by hand is easily 10 times what it takes using the box blade and the front end loader.....

Nice job on the video and the project.........:bigthumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts