1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
21,048 Posts
He is a good operator!:lol:

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Looking at the size of the rock, road and tractor compared to you; they weren't kidding when they said, "Everything is bigger in Texas." :laugh:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Are you going to cover it with 3/4" to fines base course next? That fragmented concrete is sure tough on tires.

Looks like Derek is a good operator.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am going to let it season and settle before I do anything else with it. It wont be a high use road anyway. Fines would be the next application if it settles OK.

D.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Thanks for sharing and pics. Looks like you have good help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
your road

crushed concrete is good of there is no wire or re-bar pieces sticking out, bad news with that stuff poking holes. A nice layer of "screenings as they call it at a nearby quarry here, would be fantstic. Small stuff settles in and around, holding everything in place and smoothing out the ride. Good job Cow man, you have a road now.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
When we built the house in 2006, I put down a thin layer of crusher run (cheap stuff). Then it had rail road ballast which is a bit smaller than your 3" pieces. Despite the wining from all, I gave that about 5 months (Jan-May) to get packed in by traffic. Then I put down another thin layer of crusher run.

About a year later, another layer of crusher run. Then, this year, I put down some screened crusher run (3/4 and smaller). The driveway is in good shape. Only two downsides:

1) The 3/4 stuff likes to washboard, but when it's smooth it's better than just crusher run which has everything from 1.5 on down.

2) When you go to smooth it (I now use a land plane), you've got to be careful not to go so deep that you bring up the big stuff. It won't go back down.

So looks good there, and I think it's a good idea to let it settle in a bit before doing any next step, if those that use it can stand the rough ride.

Pete

·
Registered
154 Posts
Are you going to cover it with 3/4" to fines base course next? That fragmented concrete is sure tough on tires.

Looks like Derek is a good operator.:thumbup1gif:
I had no clue it is hard on tires. Car tires or tractor tires, or both?

crushed concrete is good of there is no wire or re-bar pieces sticking out, bad news with that stuff poking holes. A nice layer of "screenings as they call it at a nearby quarry here, would be fantstic. Small stuff settles in and around, holding everything in place and smoothing out the ride. Good job Cow man, you have a road now.
I thought all of it had the rebar removed? I was planning on using this in my parking area.... Now you have me second guessing. Its very cheap compared to rock!

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
FG:

I used recycled concrete on my drive and the rebar was removed. On occasion we'd find a small piece of steel (e.g. <6" long wire) that got by the supplier's magnet when we were putting the stuff down.

The going rate for recycled concrete here is about $15 a ton. Check with the supplier about the rebar being removed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts