Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own a JD 318 and I was thinking about exchanging out the stock exhaust and muffler with a stainless steel stack exhaust. Will taking out the muffler affect the back pressure at all? Is it really necessary to have the original amount of back pressure? And what would be the best way at getting at this and wouldn't water get back into the exhaust?
Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
2,772 Posts
I moved this to the Hydrostatic Drive section as that's where you will find the 318 owners.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There have been plenty that have added a "stack" to the OEM exhaust outlet. I have thought of it myself on hot summer days just to keep it from blowing back in my face. Not sure why or how you would also replace the existing muffler, although I am sure with the right skills it could be done.

For rain, a turned out stack, a flapper, or the classic coffee can over the top will work, a pinhole a the low point is also a good idea. But I must ask, do you park outside or mow in the rain a lot?

·
May he RIP
60 Posts
Hi
It is my Understanding that a Muffler provide's back pressure to an engine to Balance out the performance. I feel removing the gut's from an Onan Muffler may effect how it run's and perform's, I would fear burning a Valve if the Muffler gut's were removed. I added a nice Chrome Tip to my 318 when I restored it last winter. I am not a Fan of stack's as they can easily Burn someone so I decided to dress mine up a bit with a Muffler chrome tip. I got it at Home Depot in their Plumbing section. it is a drain Trap extension that has a Beveled flare on the end of it that fit's nice up against your existing muffler housing. It was about 10" long, so I cut it with a Hack saw placing a 45 Degree angle to the end of it then sanded the raw edge with my air D-A sander to smooth it up a bit. Here is how it look's Installed. Regards, Hammerdown

·
Super Moderator
2,772 Posts
Kurt,
Everything time I see your 318, I just smile. Great job on the paint job.

As for stacks, there are considerations on how to support it. If you don't, it will vibrate and may cause damage to your engine, i.e. cracking where it bolts to the engine. Also, adding a stack will actually place the exhaust more at face level. You might be breathing more exhaust fumes than before. And as Kurt said, you might mess with the engine's ability to properly "breathe" correctly. I have stack on my 400 from a previous owner, and I don't think it will stay.

·
May he RIP
60 Posts
Kurt,
Everything time I see your 318, I just smile. Great job on the paint job.

As for stacks, there are considerations on how to support it. If you don't, it will vibrate and may cause damage to your engine, i.e. cracking where it bolts to the engine. Also, adding a stack will actually place the exhaust more at face level. You might be breathing more exhaust fumes than before. And as Kurt said, you might mess with the engine's ability to properly "breathe" correctly. I have stack on my 400 from a previous owner, and I don't think it will stay.
Hello T-Mo
I appreciate your kind word's. Many year's ago when I Lived in the Frigid north I used to work construction as a Concerte truck driver for about Seven Month's of the year. They Laid us off in November as it was far too cold to Pour concrete so in the winter month's I would work at a Body shop close to my home. The owner started me off with learning how to lay the autobody filler and sand it through stages of Priming it to prevent shrinkage and scratch's until it was to 400 grit sandpaper and ready for paint. I then started painting base coat clear coat urethane paint as the fumes got to him too much and before long I was doing most of the paint work as well. It was my Job when we were done Painting car & truck body panel's to wet sand the panel's to rid them of micro dirt & dust that seems to find it's way into the Paint no matter how careful that you are or how clean you kept the shop it had to be done. We Then started doing some show Car & Truck paint job's that involved a lot more sanding and final work where I would sand the panel's with a square block to ensure a smooth glass Level panel look was the out come. Once you do as many as I did it comes as second nature to block all of the Panel's making them smooth and level looking so I did my John Deere Tractor the same way finishing up with 2000 Grit sand paper on the final sand before buffing it as it is shown. Now you have the rest of the Story of why my John Deere 318 Tractor look's like it does it took a Lot of wet sanding and buffing to get it that way. On the subject of Exhaust Stack's. I worked at a gas station when I was a kid in high school. A Guy came in with a 1976 Dodge Little Red Express Pick-up. They had twin Chrome Exhaust stack's on each side just behind the cab. He was fussy with it, so even though we were a full service Gas station he would pump his own fuel. One day I was standing next to him and we were Talking and after he placed the nozzle in his Tank and began to fill his truck he for some unknown Reason Put his hand right on the driver's side Chrome Exhaust Stack. He Hollered like a Ban-Chee as he pulled his left hand off that chrome stack but it was too late as it looked and smelled like Bacon cooking. That Pretty Much Cured me of Ever wanting any Exhaust Stack's from that time forward, and when Anyone bring's up the subject of Exhaust Stack's, it Takes me right back to that day all over again.....Sizzle, Sizzle... Regards, Hammerdown

Reactions: CyberShanks

·
Registered
937 Posts
My cousin had a little red dodge like that. Exhaust stacks on a pickup covers everything to the rear of them in soot... I would never think about putting them on a pickup. As far as tractors go, if it's not high above your head then you will breath it in all day. It will then take three full days of blowing your nose to get all of that soot out. I wish that I didn't know that...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.