Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm lifting a implement that is too heavy for my 3 point, does it cause harm or is it hard on the hydraulic lift? I was just curious. I see some implements are also labeled "cat. 1 limited." I also notice if I stall the rear hydraulics I can audibly hear what sounds like fluid being restricted or a skreeching noise. If I know it won't hurt anything, then when I'm grading driveway it would be nice to stack as much weight as possible on just to work driveway a little harder each pass.

·
Administrator
18,287 Posts
No damage whatsoever. The PRV (pressure relief valve) opens and dumps the fluid to the tank-protecting the system-this is the noise your hearing. FYI the FEL works the same way.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
When the 3 pt hitch hits its limit the fluid goes into by pass valve in order to reduce the pressure. The hitch simply will not pick up something it can't lift. You are not going to hurt anything but when you continue to try and lift something it can't, it heats up the fluid because it is going through the much smaller by pass valve. So once it hits it limit and you hear the screech, relieve the pressure by putting the 3pt lever back to neutral.

The weight limit on the 3 pt for the 1 series is around 680lbs, IIRC. The CAT 1 "limited" refers to length of the top link.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for information. Sounds like I'm good to go stacking weights then as long as I don't keep trying to lift it for long periods.

Do the hydraulics have a cooling system or a way to tell fluid over-temp? I was wondering that too when a friend started asking me about brush hogging and plugging up the grill. I explained people here (GTT) always talk about blowing grill out and watch temp. gauge but couldn't tell him if there was a way to check the hydrostatic system.

I may just worry too much and over think things. I should just put my trust in engineers! LAUGH OUT LOUD!!!!!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
If you have a 1023, 1025, or 1026, then it has a separate oil cooler for the hydro in front of the radiator. Like you said, you just want to keep the screen clean.

Reactions: BigJim55 and rtgt
1 - 5 of 5 Posts