Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 X580 48A deck & 44 snowblower
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new to me 50 hour X580 was delivered this week. I upgraded from an x300 with bagger. moving to a bigger property and wanted the bigger tractor and also snow blower. I always bagged with the x300 and it did a great job. But the new yard is much larger and I’m hoping to get away from bagging if I can. It will be a ton of clippings to handle. Anyhow, I took a chance and had the mulch control kit installed on the 48A deck to see how it works. The dealer left the stock blades on the machine. part #M145476. They gave me the mulch blades that came with the kit but said to try the standard blades first. They said they have found customers having much better results with the standard blades and never using the blades that come with the kit. It seems odd to me but It’s a good dealer who always looks after me so I’m not concerned. It’s Too early to try it out here in Ontario just yet but was curious in the meantime if anyone has come across this scenario? I am skeptical on mulch control but thought I’d give it a shot. I kept my bagger frame from x300 so worst case I’ll buy the power flow and chute for the x580 and go back to that. But I’m hopeful I can live with mulch control.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I see your deck chute deflector is installed. Did the dealer give you/install the plate to block the discharge opening?

I've used both the standard and mulching blades on my mod. 46 deck without the mulching kit with no major difference...UNTIL! I bent up a piece of sheet metal and attached it to my deck, fully blocking the opening. BIG difference! Clippings will completely disappear, but you do have to go slowly. Also, if you let the grass get too tall, you may end up with clumping or a windrow. Cover discharge and give it a try! Bob

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
Not a JD but my new Husqvarna 24/48 (I bought because I can't get everywhere with the JD with cab) has a mulching kit installed, (I never bag or side discharge and haven't for years), has the regular blades on it, the dealer is a good friend and he said look at the difference between the blades.. I saw none and I have the 3 mulching blades that came with the kit in the garage! It works with no issues, I hate to say it but it does a better job then my JD with the mulching blades on, and I used it all last summer.
The side discharge protector hood may be on because they tell you to leave it on,,, Why??? I took mine off immediately. I want to get close to things not stay away that hood distance.
Let us know how they work for you,, mine works just fine with the regular blades. (y)

·
Premium Member
15,968 Posts
There are OEM standard and high lift discharge blades and there are S-shaped mulching blades. With the full time plastic mulching baffles it works much better with the S-shaped dedicated mulching blades. I understand the concept of the mulch-on-demand system but it will never work as good as a dedicated mulching system. Discharge blades dont mulch well and mulch blades dont discharge or bag well.

Its like the 3-in-1 blades that come with the D/E series, they are a compromise and dont really do anything well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, mixed reviews on the mulch control out there but I figured it was worth a try. Like my x300 before I will have to experiment a bit to get the X580 dialed in just right for my conditions. I will say the x580 is quite a jump from the x300. I knew the 500 series would be a jump up. But wow, once I see it up close and drive it around a bit it’s just so much more substantial in every area.

·
Registered
2015 Chrysler Town & Country
152 Posts
Thanks guys, mixed reviews on the mulch control out there but I figured it was worth a try. Like my x300 before I will have to experiment a bit to get the X580 dialed in just right for my conditions. I will say the x580 is quite a jump from the x300. I knew the 500 series would be a jump up. But wow, once I see it up close and drive it around a bit it’s just so much more substantial in every area.
Next trade move up to the X7 series and its like nite and day all over again. kent
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Tractor

·
Premium Member
15,968 Posts
For what it's worth, the X300-series and X500-series use the same frame.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Next trade move up to the X7 series and its like nite and day all over again. kent View attachment 779750 View attachment 779750
You Know You X748 looks funny to Me! And it's not because of the seat! It's Because I am so use to mine with a 45 loader sub frame That the Older Ultimate series Look weird to me without it .
Great Looking X748(y)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Next trade move up to the X7 series and its like nite and day all over again. kent View attachment 779750 View attachment 779750
That’s a sweet looking machine thanks. The 700 series is for sure on my list, love to have one at some point. For now the x580 is pretty sweet. But I can see why the 700 is the ultimate garden tractor and I understand why so many people eventually end up with one!

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I have the mulch control on my 54" deck. I've never used the standard blades so I'll be interested to see how it works. The mulch blades work great mulching and have no problem side discharge or bagging with them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the mulch control on my 54" deck. I've never used the standard blades so I'll be interested to see how it works. The mulch blades work great mulching and have no problem side discharge or bagging with them.
interesting, I talked the to the dealer again today and they said in their experience they had seen poor performance with mulch blades and mulch control on the 48A deck. No complaints they were aware of on the 54”. He said they had 2 customers in particular with the same issue on 48” decks and they spent a lot of time trying to solve the issue. Finally taking the mulch blades off and putting the standard ones back on solve it. Strange, but we will see I guess. I also found this review from 2016 below that speaks to the same issue and kinda backs up what the dealer is saying

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm not sure if it was here or on the sister forum, but when the new mulch control came out, one of the regulars wasn't exactly thrilled. So he did a test with the JD Mulch Blades he received, against the standard blades, and I think the Gators or Predators. After a number of very controlled tests, he felt that the Standard Blades did the best with the MulchControl engaged, then the aftermarket, and last was the included mulch blades. At least that was my recollection. The fellow had a very nice residential turf and the side by side photos were pretty telling. Might be worth looking that thread up, wherever it might be. I do recall those results getting shared far and wide at the time, so I have no doubt some dealers quote it with their customers.

·
Registered
2021 1025R, 2016 x580
572 Posts
I have the x580 with 54 inch deck and mulch control and have found that to get the best combination of discharge and mulching for my situation is to setup like this:

1. Use the regular blades
2. Remove the mulching baffle between blades 2 and 3.

I have a lot of clover in parts of the yard, and full mulching (with mulch blades) just pulverizes that stuff making it a green mush, especially around blade 3 due to the baffle that almost completely isolates that blade. Even in discharge mode, I would get build up around blade 3, so out with that baffle and on with regular blades.

This setup gives me decent mulching performance when doing the front and back yards and good performance using discharge in the septic field and other areas that only get mowed every other cycle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not sure if it was here or on the sister forum, but when the new mulch control came out, one of the regulars wasn't exactly thrilled. So he did a test with the JD Mulch Blades he received, against the standard blades, and I think the Gators or Predators. After a number of very controlled tests, he felt that the Standard Blades did the best with the MulchControl engaged, then the aftermarket, and last was the included mulch blades. At least that was my recollection. The fellow had a very nice residential turf and the side by side photos were pretty telling. Might be worth looking that thread up, wherever it might be. I do recall those results getting shared far and wide at the time, so I have no doubt some dealers quote it with their customers.
Thanks! Found that info in the link below. For sure lines you with the dealer advise

·
Registered
147 Posts
Glad you found it, and even happier my memory is still intact. Once you get to mowing circle back with your thoughts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just as an update to this I tried it out yesterday. Its early here so the grass is not super heavy yet. But with mulchcontrol closed and the standard blades I’d say it did a great job. Coming from bagging 100% of the time I was pretty skeptical this would give me the result I want. But so far there are no noticeable clippings afterwards. Real test was letting the dog out there. When he came back in he’s not covered in clippings which was one of the reasons I used to bag. We will see when it really gets growing. But so far mulch control appears to work for me and the dealer was right to just leave the standard blades on rather than use the mulch ones in the kit.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just as an update to this I tried it out yesterday. Its early here so the grass is not super heavy yet. But with mulchcontrol closed and the standard blades I’d say it did a great job. Coming from bagging 100% of the time I was pretty skeptical this would give me the result I want. But so far there are no noticeable clippings afterwards. Real test was letting the dog out there. When he came back in he’s not covered in clippings which was one of the reasons I used to bag. We will see when it really gets growing. But so far mulch control appears to work for me and the dealer was right to just leave the standard blades on rather than use the mulch ones in the kit.
This is an interesting thread. I have a 2020 X590 w/48" deck and MOD kit. Last year I discovered with the MOD kit closed and using the provided JD mulch blades, I could get a great looking cut but with a 1.5 acre area..... my deck would collect and clog the underside of the deck. I had to purchase a MoJack lift to make it easier to scrape the deck after each mowing. Later in the year it got better ( drier grass) but still a lot of scraping. I finished the year using Gator G5 blades but didn't see much difference. Fast forward to Spring 2021, I took the MOD kit completely off and am now dedicated side discharge. After 3 mowings my deck loads worse then before. Yesterday I scraped the deck and it had completely built up around each blade so badly that none of the blades could side discharge. I was careful to mow slow, late afternoon with drier grass and taking a minimum cut ( it's early here in northern Illinois). I was shocked at how full the underside was. I am going to side discharge one more time ( later today or tomorrow) and then scrap if needed again. Then I may put the MOD kit back on and try it again but leave the left baffle off. ( with it on the left blade is 90% full time mulch anyway) . I want to use MOD kit but I had to experiment to see if I could minimize deck scraping. I see no way to eliminate the deck scraping if I am going to continue to mulch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts